Takarakuji de 40 oku Atatta ndakedo Isekai ni Ijuu Suru - Vol. 7 Ch. 35 - No Peace of Mind

@foon
Not interested in changing your mind or anything, just curious;
Doesn't it irked you that the high possibility of those new tech being used as weapon/to support war?
I mean we're talking about medievally kingdoms&empires here,
heck most even have castles and forts, which imply that they don't like to hold hands and sing kumbaya together.

Dex-chan lover
@cor3zone
how's he going to get away? through valetta? good joke

not sure how far she's really going to go, though.

Group Leader
@cor3zone
This story is kind of depressing. There's never just genuine happiness, there's always some dark shit going on in the background. Like Alondo. Or Valetta unknowingly going against Kazura's distaste for military development.

In the previous chapter, Kazura is starting to change his perspective and come around to the fact that military development is a necessary evil of sorts, recognizing that although introducing iron could potentially make Arcadia a superpower nation, doing nothing will be worse when the much larger, more powerful, and aggressive country is knocking on their door uninvited, with new weapons of their own in development. What's funny is that Valetta and Kazura had the same idea on parallel paths, but Valetta is two steps ahead and is already mass producing smelted iron (maybe even steel) in the mountains.

Dex-chan lover
@nobaka
No problem, just pretend then step through the portal. It's already normal for him to do, and nobody can follow.

The point is, she is doing something Kazura really dislikes, in order to prove useful to him. It's contradictory.

@Harry_Dong
The difference is she's using knowledge gained from him, to do something he doesn't want to do. She is literally going against his wishes, since he never wanted military development. Realizing something might be necessary and liking it are totally separate.

Group Leader
@cor3zone
I think you may be misunderstanding something fundamental here. The only reason why he was against military development in the first place was because he didn't want to drastically spread new modern technology carelessly that would completely alter the natural course of events that would normally take place in their current state (See volume 2, ch 10), like misusing modern vehicles (when he brought over the mini dump truck). It's not like he hates or dislikes military development in of itself; he just doesn't want to be exploited is all.

If it was just speeding up the natural progression of primitive technology by the next step rather than leaps and bounds, then he was all about that, going so far as to purchase the refractory bricks himself needed for smelting iron (remember him going to the home center to buy fire bricks from the manager and talked about a blast furnace), cutting down the trial and error process as he was the one who wanted a way to introduce steel-making technology (See chapter 30, page 25/volume page 109) when taking to Valetta hearing about her finding a rich iron-ore vein.

He barely batted an eye beyond going "whoa, scary" when he heard about the bandits that attacked Grisea village were executed and had their severed heads displayed on pikes in front of the Istria city, opting for the "When in Rome" approach. ...So IMO, I highly doubt he has a strong distaste for matters related to military and how they do things under Zirconia's leadership.

Dex-chan lover
@Harry_Dong
And I think you are forgetting something fundamental here. His initial stance is not his current stance. The fact that Valetta, the one person that knows him best, intentionally hides her actions from him tells way more about his stance than some polite statement made to a noble. She may have said all that about Kazura realizing himself that she's useful, but that's bullshit. The woman is smarter than any other character, she's studying various subjects from Japan. She knows the horror of war, and the impact her plans will have. She knows Kazura's stance on "drastically spread[ing] new modern technology carelessly that [will] drastically alter the natural course". She has to know how he would react. And still she hides it.

Introducing steelmaking is not condoning weapon production. That may be the biggest impact from steel, but the greatest improvement comes from tools. Farming, construction, transport, etc.. Which makes that entire point irrelevant as to whether he dislikes war or not. It counts both for and against.

Also, it was way beyond "woah, scary". He literally froze up, thinking the world was "terrifying".

Group Leader
@cor3zone
Agree to disagree I suppose, as we're interpreting the same thing differently. As for her hiding it, I don't think it's anything sinister IMO, but more like "notice me senpai, praise me."

That being said, her making weapons or Kazura finding out is a moot point, because their goals are now the same as Kazura is also now considering doing it, and
eventually throws everything into the war effort with his resources,
with
Valetta at his side,
together.

Dex-chan lover
@Harry_Dong
That's her explanation too, but I don't believe it.

Not reading your spoilers, but it's not a moot point. Considering and doing are lightyears apart. Nearly every single human being considers committing suicide at some point. Few do. Too many, but still comparatively few. "The call of the void", not even remotely intending to do anything but still considering. The gap between Kazura considering and Valetta doing is too wide to be moot.

She's doing it without consent, so he's being "exploited" as you put it. She is doing it behind his back, so he never even got the chance to consent. Major dealbreaker for me. I love every part of her character, except this. This single thing made me lose all trust in her. I guess we'll see Kazura's reaction. If you are right that he won't mind, he's a trash MC and I'm dropping this.

Group Leader
@cor3zone
I don't think you're going to like where this is going then, because he's written to be a generic dense self-insert MC with neutral or very weak flip-flopping stances on most matters like most protagonists of isekai manga.

Dex-chan lover
@Harry_Dong
Well that's shit then. He's not been so far, though. He has very clear stances on most things. Leaving the village alone, exploitation, his (kinda) disinterest in romance, etc..

Dex-chan lover
@Harry_Dong
Thanks for another chapter! It's hard to appreciate good health until you aren't in it. May your recovery be swift.

Group Leader
@Liquidxlax
Off the top of my head for the characters' ages that I remember:

Kazura: 25.
Valetta: 15.
Lieze: 14.
Zirconia: 26.
Eira: 26?
Marie: 13?

@AMetroid
Thanks. As sucky as it was, I certainly miss my youth where my joints don't hurt every winter.

Dex-chan lover
@cor3zone
ye the whole joke here is that we're taking her desire to keep peace and his safety to its absurd extreme. p sure everyone (readers) realizes that she's doing shit she shouldn't be.

that said, he didn't do a very good job of saying DON'T DO THIS. it was more 'you don't need to worry about that, we have better things to do'

Actually this is not really medieval, this is more like ancient Bronze Age Greece or something - with buildings and clothing that do not fit the basic setting.

Users who are viewing this thread