Tanbo de Hirotta Onna Kishi, Inaka de Ore no Yome da to Omowareteiru - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - The Female Knight and Homesickness

Dex-chan lover
I've seen swords labeled as phallic objects many times. And also… Uh. Hmmm… Ah ! My friend ! He told me cucumbers have been referenced and even used as phallic substitutes many times too. But this is the first time I see someone making a direct connection cucumber => sword.

Also, I absolutely hate how much time we're spending on this "is she from another world" nonsense. First, the normal realistic conclusion of someone in his position wouldn't be "omg reverse isekai", it'd just be that the girl is a weab suffering from severe schizophrenia. Or fucking with him. Even the "amnesia while going to a cosplay event" is already super contrived.

But really, I hate it how forced it is : You decided to make this girl understand and speak japanese because you wanted to be able to jump straight to the fluffy romance without the tedium of learning how to communicate. And then you made her not understand half of the words and concepts related to japanese culture, which is barely different than making her only understand half of japanese. And then you go and pretend the situation doesn't make it blindingly obvious how alien she is. Just fucking handwave it away ! Or alternatively create something that makes sense. Making up something stupid then hanging a lampshade on it doesn't change how retarded the situation you've built is.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I actually enjoy that he didn't fully buy into it but understands the absurdity to a level that it really could be possible. And instead of being an ass and shoving her off, he just wants to make sure she is alright. Very sweet story so far, ty translators

Dex-chan lover
I've seen swords labeled as phallic objects many times. And also… Uh. Hmmm… Ah ! My friend ! He told me cucumbers have been referenced and even used as phallic substitutes many times too. But this is the first time I see someone making a direct connection cucumber => sword.

Also, I absolutely hate how much time we're spending on this "is she from another world" nonsense. First, the normal realistic conclusion of someone in his position wouldn't be "omg reverse isekai", it'd just be that the girl is a weab suffering from severe schizophrenia. Or fucking with him. Even the "amnesia while going to a cosplay event" is already super contrived.

But really, I hate it how forced it is : You decided to make this girl understand and speak japanese because you wanted to be able to jump straight to the fluffy romance without the tedium of learning how to communicate. And then you made her not understand half of the words and concepts related to japanese culture, which is barely different than making her only understand half of japanese. And then you go and pretend the situation doesn't make it blindingly obvious how alien she is. Just fucking handwave it away ! Or alternatively create something that makes sense. Making up something stupid then hanging a lampshade on it doesn't change how retarded the situation you've built is.
I forgot the title, but one of the more amusing WN I've read a TL for had a female lead who was isekai'd possibly into a book and she was criticising the author for having bread fruit. There are a lot of moving parts for a fantasy setting and I get a kick out of seeing where authors cut corners.

Usually it's related to not understanding how humanity operates with food. Even with glorious nihon rice the bran is sometimes not paid attention to.

To truly understand if someone is isekai'd or faking it, this would take awhile to actually figure out.

Whenever I see cooking instructions in a manga I suspect the manga is aimed at teenagers who may be close to needing to actually understand how to cook for themselves, maybe the gaps in the translation are less commonly used words?

Usually I've seen translation magic handwaved to rely on a goddess or god, which isn't exactly available. Maybe it's more of a mind reading based system that needs training?

Dex-chan lover
Usually it's related to not understanding how humanity operates with food.
In pretty much all cultures, humanity has taken anything that grows, and tried to figure out how they can turn it into food. How, not if. There's no culture that does not like to eat good food and has strived to produce that food.

Any manga that fails to recognise that doesn't use people as basis for characters, but strawmen whose only purpose is to show how great MC's cooking ability is.

Dex-chan lover
To truly understand if someone is isekai'd or faking it, this would take awhile to actually figure out.

Usually I've seen translation magic handwaved to rely on a goddess or god, which isn't exactly available. Maybe it's more of a mind reading based system that needs training?
True true, but that logic only applies to purely human characters. If the isekai-ee has obvious physical traits like kemonomimi, hybrids and other anthromorphic characteristics or if the can do things no normal human can do - one-hand a BFS or magic - then it's pretty damn obvious. But that's besides the point.

Translation is usually a very difficult thing to write about, both in fiction and IRL. It's rare to see any form of media to try and do it properly. One isekai manga that's tried to touch on this had the mc temporarily "borrow" a blessing from a talking griffon for a few years, but still had to learn that world's language since the blessing would wear off, so he did. Forgot the name of it, it's on this site, but I can't find it; involves the mc rebuilding building a town in a forest alongside kids of similar age and the political struggles that come with, someone know what I'm talking about?
Edit: I remember it now, it's called Isekai Kenkokuki. Here's the link:
https://mangadex.org/title/ec8f26f4-bc9f-43b6-93ec-60a05638fca0/isekai-kenkokuki

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
In pretty much all cultures, humanity has taken anything that grows, and tried to figure out how they can turn it into food. How, not if. There's no culture that does not like to eat good food and has strived to produce that food.
I understand what you're saying, but can you please elaborate? To me, I always thought of it as +2000 years of trial-and-error and a few happy accidents along the way, but wtf do I know.

Dex-chan lover
To me, I always thought of it as +2000 years of trial-and-error and a few happy accidents along the way, but wtf do I know.
Well, that's what it is. Probably with another zero to the number, though. Throughout all that time, people have tried to eat so many things, many of them poisonous (spices in particular). If they're not edible raw, boil them, fry them, ferment them, dry them, soak them in various liquids, or do whatever it takes to make them edible. After all that, if it still doesn't sufficiently satisfy people, it might be time to go on to something else.

Regardless of how, people have always tried to find new stuff to eat. Obviously not every single person, but people who're interested in cooking and eating, and those have existed in all cultures. Every culture has their own food culture, and it's a cultural aspect that's always on the forefront of intermingling, so it easily spreads to other cultures that come into contact with it.

Contributor
I like how this is trying to be a bit realistic (emotionally, at least) without getting the damn government involved. Crying because she is helplessly stranded in another world, with possibly no way to meet her family and friends ever again is a realistic and reasonable emotion to have in her position.

Also like how Jin does not seem to be an insecure weak lead (well, so far) or a shameless edgy pervert, just a kind man if a bit too skeptical. This story is doing well so far, I'd say.

Dex-chan lover
Despite all his efforts, Sera is still lonely and is lost in thought. She has no idea what she can do. She's so confused as to what's happened to her. And she's stuck in a place very foreign to her.

Jin can't help but think of her and her situation. She's so honest that he can't help but believe her, and lost, like he was a few years ago. But he found passion in farming, and it was through farming he was able to make food that made Sera smile. So now he knows what he has to do. Make good Japanese food!
"My Wife is from 1000 years"? I remember that one but I was too lazy to catch up with latest release(ch178), dropped it around ch25
That manga updates way too fast for me. I can't keep up with it anymore...

Dex-chan lover

Any manga that fails to recognise that doesn't use people as basis for characters, but strawmen whose only purpose is to show how great MC's cooking ability is.
While that is perfectly true, good food was not always readily available.

And modern food has come a long way. From just being basic sustenance made palatable, to where flavor and quality of the food has become the chief objective. Where technology and breeding and science has advanced wildly to improve food in every way.

We have better food, of larger variety, with availability of fresh ingredients we want, all year round.

Where the dumb dumb authors screw up, is by treating isekais as cave men who ate tasteless rotten food cooked terribly. Just because our food can be extravagant, doesn't mean other food isn't tasty as well. And furthermore, while we can produce superior products across the board, what is typically mass consumed, often is inferior, compared to fresh fully ripened seasonal ingredients that would be consumed in isekai.(most supermarket tomatoes are terrible compared to a properly ripened tomato picked this morning)

And of course, no author accounts for how tastebuds are acclimated to isekai world, and how new dishes might taste bad for certain tastes.

I am reminded of videos of remote tribes being given stuff like candy to try. We find it tasty. They found some of it tasty too. But they also found a fair portion completely disgusting. Not to mention the after effects from eating such a strong exotic food their system wasn't used to.

Dex-chan lover
While that is perfectly true, good food was not always readily available.

And modern food has come a long way. From just being basic sustenance made palatable, to where flavor and quality of the food has become the chief objective. Where technology and breeding and science has advanced wildly to improve food in every way.
Well, the primary purpose of food is sustenance, so being able to focus on other aspects like taste to the exclusion of sustenance requires abundance. Of course, you can still have both to some degree, and there's a lot of food you don't have to compromise with. Back in the middle ages they'd gotten to rather good food. Modern people might not agree, but they'd likely prefer that over modern food.

Where the dumb dumb authors screw up, is by treating isekais as cave men who ate tasteless rotten food cooked terribly. Just because our food can be extravagant, doesn't mean other food isn't tasty as well.
I find that to be the case for modern food as well. It's not tasteless just because you don't use a lot of spices. Even cooked meat just by itself has a good flavour, but a lot of people are so used to all the added tastes that they think it's bland. It's kind of like people who eat very hot spices, in that all there's to it is being used to it.

And furthermore, while we can produce superior products across the board, what is typically mass consumed, often is inferior, compared to fresh fully ripened seasonal ingredients that would be consumed in isekai.(most supermarket tomatoes are terrible compared to a properly ripened tomato picked this morning)
It varies a lot from country to country. America in particular seems to be focused mostly on large produce (based on what I've heard other people say), rather than preserving the taste. This often makes for a watery taste. Smaller more natural produce generally have fuller taste, and that's not just because it's "natural", but because it's not been selected for in a way that reduces the taste.

I am reminded of videos of remote tribes being given stuff like candy to try. We find it tasty. They found some of it tasty too. But they also found a fair portion completely disgusting. Not to mention the after effects from eating such a strong exotic food their system wasn't used to.
That's one reason I like reaction videos where people try Swedish candy. Generally very positive reactions, but then there's the salty licorice (or just plain sweet licorice), and some of the sour stuff is extremely sour.

Dex-chan lover
I like this manga so far. Its shockingly realistic so far, I guess is how to describe it, and the MC just seems to be a regular but good hearted dude.

Dex-chan lover
Not that one
yes I know, this person said the correct title👇
Nah this one is really shit and got some gross mentality if you keep your brain on for more than 5s... :/
He mean " Regarding That We Decided to Live in the Countryside With The Female Knight Who Came to Us " which is a carbon copy, but with way more chapter so far (107) and generally good. Can't judge this one yet with only 6 chapters.

Users who are viewing this thread