Tanbo de Hirotta Onna Kishi, Inaka de Ore no Yome da to Omowareteiru - Vol. 2 Ch. 10 - Sera is my Wife?

Dex-chan lover
So...is "girlfriend" not a fair step to take in this author's head? Like do you need to jump straight to "wife"? Legit question, how common is it for couples in Japan to move in with one another before being engaged, even?
if it's city life, it's common. However, out in the boonies, the mindset of people in Japan is still in the 60s, so a couple living together without being married is prone to get looked down upon. Given that Sera came from a much less modern world, I reckon unmarried cohabitation is also something that's not accepted in her world. Makes sense why marriage was a better excuse than girlfriend.
For that matter, how common is it in Sera's homeworld? Given the kind of culture she seems to have come from, probably unheard of, especially with her kind of family background. So in her head, "girlfriend" wouldn't have been her first go-to.

Dex-chan lover
You know, I can come up with a lot of excuses to tell the old lady besides saying you're MC's wife. Hell, if you feel you can't tell a lie then go for a half truth: say you're traveling across Japan, ran into some trouble, and explained how MC found you and offer a place to stay and a job helping him with his farm work.

Simple.

Dex-chan lover
I absoluely adore the art, but some of the panels the eyes are just slightly too far apart and that gets me. Is it just me or does anyone else see it?

Supporter
I swear, once Sera figures out the mechanism of travel, she won't actually use it to send herself, but to bring monsters to Japan instead...
image.png

Dex-chan lover
Considering her monstrosity strength, I dare him to do it without having black and blue all over his body.

Dex-chan lover
For that matter, how common is it in Sera's homeworld? Given the kind of culture she seems to have come from, probably unheard of, especially with her kind of family background. So in her head, "girlfriend" wouldn't have been her first go-to.
Since the focus of the story is about an isekai knight adapting to 'our' world, we'll probably never know for sure. The answer's probably extremely uncommon, especially since her world would be set around middle-age Europe as per the genre standard. In such settings, if a woman doesn't have any romantic or familial bond to the head of the house, they would most likely be a servant or part of security, and Sera's probably neither of those.

Dex-chan lover
We all know where this gonna go in the future, just please dont insert asshole brother later lmao.

Dex-chan lover
So...is "girlfriend" not a fair step to take in this author's head? Like do you need to jump straight to "wife"? Legit question, how common is it for couples in Japan to move in with one another before being engaged, even?
A simple question. How common do you think it would be for a girl to move to the middle of nowhere to live with her boyfriend on a farm?

Even in the west where living together is pretty common, that would be very unlikely. If a girl were to move to the boonies to live with a guy, leaving everything else behind, you would think she is likely to be a fiance or wife.

Now imagine you live in a more traditional culture where men and women don't usually tend to live together until marriage. And the married couple observing a new couple, had grown up in a time where that was exclusively the case and any examples otherwise were typically considered scandalous.

Imagine you live in a culture where it is common for young people to leave the countryside for the opportunity of the city.(Not vice versa)

It's very easy to consider why such a old couple in such a setting, would ask or think she might be his wife as a first thought. Because it has been their experience for decades.

It's not like the city, where housing prices are high to the point where it can make sense to live together practically. Or the city where there is plenty of economic and social opportunity, where it might make sense for someone to move in with their partner.

I can't answer the specific question about how common it is in Japan for couples to live with each other. My knowledge of Japan specifically is all second or third hand.

But I have driven all across North America, having been through all continental states and half of Canadian provinces. I know traditional values/cultures and I know modern ones. And Japan in many ways is extremely traditional on a national level compared to much of the western/first world.

I would be extremely doubtful there would be any examples of a couple living together but not married or about to be in the countryside. It would be completely strange for a outsider to leave her family, friends, career and home to move in a small town just to live with a boyfriend. It might happen sometimes, but vastly less common than marriage.

And even if I am wrong, it still is easy to understand why a elderly couple who has spent the vast majority of their lives where that was the case, would have biased stereotypical expectations based on their experiences. And think she might be his wife as their first guess.(it can be noted it was a question, not just an assumption)

Modern non married couples living together have only become a common thing over the last 20-30 years or so in the west.

Dex-chan lover
so yeah this has a pretty high chance of outclassing what it's copying
The other one spent so much time developing the characters and their emotional connections, this one hasn't really done it yet.

Until the brother appeared the other one was top notch. So long as this one continues to focus on the main couple I think things will be good. However with those other girls appearing at the end of the last chapter I feel we are heading into generic rom com misunderstanding hijinks territory and the little soul that this has will be taken away.

Dex-chan lover
if it's city life, it's common. However, out in the boonies, the mindset of people in Japan is still in the 60s, so a couple living together without being married is prone to get looked down upon. Given that Sera came from a much less modern world, I reckon unmarried cohabitation is also something that's not accepted in her world. Makes sense why marriage was a better excuse than girlfriend.

A simple question. How common do you think it would be for a girl to move to the middle of nowhere to live with her boyfriend on a farm?

Even in the west where living together is pretty common, that would be very unlikely. If a girl were to move to the boonies to live with a guy, leaving everything else behind, you would think she is likely to be a fiance or wife.

Now imagine you live in a more traditional culture where men and women don't usually tend to live together until marriage. And the married couple observing a new couple, had grown up in a time where that was exclusively the case and any examples otherwise were typically considered scandalous.

Imagine you live in a culture where it is common for young people to leave the countryside for the opportunity of the city.(Not vice versa)

It's very easy to consider why such a old couple in such a setting, would ask or think she might be his wife as a first thought. Because it has been their experience for decades.

It's not like the city, where housing prices are high to the point where it can make sense to live together practically. Or the city where there is plenty of economic and social opportunity, where it might make sense for someone to move in with their partner.

I can't answer the specific question about how common it is in Japan for couples to live with each other. My knowledge of Japan specifically is all second or third hand.

But I have driven all across North America, having been through all continental states and half of Canadian provinces. I know traditional values/cultures and I know modern ones. And Japan in many ways is extremely traditional on a national level compared to much of the western/first world.

I would be extremely doubtful there would be any examples of a couple living together but not married or about to be in the countryside. It would be completely strange for a outsider to leave her family, friends, career and home to move in a small town just to live with a boyfriend. It might happen sometimes, but vastly less common than marriage.

And even if I am wrong, it still is easy to understand why a elderly couple who has spent the vast majority of their lives where that was the case, would have biased stereotypical expectations based on their experiences. And think she might be his wife as their first guess.(it can be noted it was a question, not just an assumption)

Modern non married couples living together have only become a common thing over the last 20-30 years or so in the west.
I just wanted to say there is a manga about a boyfriend and girlfriend living together, "My Girlfriend is The Best" and it is based on their actually life. You can also find many manga on the theme with the cohabitation tag on manga updates.

Dex-chan lover
Depending on the author focus, I give them both one chapter, or 200.

Dex-chan lover
Indeed, and if she comes from a culture with polygyny, she might assume that declaring herself to be Jin's wife won't harm his actual marriage prospects.

Dex-chan lover
INFO PLEASE HOW TO GET KNIGHT WIFE FROM ANOTHER WORLD??????????????

Dex-chan lover

Wonderful post friend.

Dex-chan lover
Is there even a need to pretend, really? They could just say she got lost and was found unconscious in the fields.
That's not a lie and can be easily accepted enough.

Seriously, the amount of common sense in Gensokyo is just....
Ah, wait, this is not Gensokyo.

Users who are viewing this thread