Teisou Gyakuten Sekai no Doutei Henkyou Ryoushu Kishi - Ch. 9.2 - The Great Hero (2)

Dex-chan lover
….. Would you write any of this if they were dudes?
I wouldn't say she has "my deepest sympathies", due to that razed village, but I agree this whole arc seems pretty pointless and badly written - as expected from Narou LN though. We first got introduced to first big quest for the princess and MC's protege as bandits to defeat, then we get author trying to make them into unfortunate victims, turning them all into jobbers that MC just rides through, it's just forced attempt of tear-jerking at the baddies.

Compare for example even something like first arc of Goblin Slayer, if you ignore the rape thing, you've got serious first fight with severe stakes, unexpected turnaround, bittersweet victory, and that's all with mere goblins as enemies. I guess author wanted to show that the setting is full of treacherous politics and MC's side isn't always good vs evil, but this isn't good way or writing for that. Maybe if instead of making baddies "likeable" they were forced to sacrifice the villagers, either rag-tag army or the captured ones or both, it would be better to make it feel like morally grey thing. Or make this whole thing easily preventable, because it was a test for princess and the village was sacrificed for just that.

Dex-chan lover
….. Would you write any of this if they were dudes?
Yes. It’s why I detest Overlord or that Orc isekai or other such evil MC stories.

I hate good people dying for no reason, or if their death perpetuates an evil cause. I have to deal with *ssholes and evil people in real life, I don’t want to see them winning in my entertainment and fantasies, especially if its aimed to be rooting for them.

Dex-chan lover
She has my fullest sympathies and I hate how her subordinates want to continue to fight and just how merciles this whole thing is. The Princess and her guard aren’t getting any combat or glory out of it.

It’s all senseless and cruel, both in character and by the author. Why is this fight even happening? How is it providing growth to the characters?

If she dies, I’m not even sure if I can continue reading this one, even with the great designs and art, because all these actions the author has decided to write feel bloody for the sake of it, and not for a specific goal. The MC is already a decorated warrior and doesn’t need his strength proved, and the princess who is not isn’t seeing any action. So all these deaths feel meaningless

I mean you can read back a couple chapters. Caroline was betrayed during a coup and made a fugitive, the princess is subsequently sent after them. This isn’t about character growth and not every story needs to be.

Caroline’s hands aren’t clean either, she and her band were raping and pillaging their way to the border in order to have tribute to defect to an enemy nation, murdering anyone who tried to stop them.

Frankly, this particular arc has less to do with Faust than intrigue among the nobility so I’m not sure where you’re getting the idea that the author is “proving his strength”.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's showing that it's not entirely her fault specifically, but also the fault of her knights for willing to push things this far. These are the kinds of people who would raid a village from their own kingdom, and this is why you have to be a very special kind of insane to do it.

Dex-chan lover
I'm really not sure what's happening anymore.
But I genuinely feel like some monologue or narration would help it.

I mean, they very deliberately say what happened a few chapters back when we hear them talk.

The issue is they're so simple-minded (get stuff so they can defect to Willendorf and survive the failed coup of their lady's family) and brutish (doing that by assault and pillaging or any and all villages on their way), that there's not much reason to sympathize with them at all. They fucked up and decided that fucking up even harder was the best way to go about things.

Dex-chan lover
It sets the foundation for later characters and plot development. And she's referenced a lot in the future. She's not all that bad imo. (sauce: I am reading the WN)
I wouldn't say she's referenced a lot. At least not in comparison to Reckenber. Maybe you're ahead of me, though? I'm only on Ch.54.

But it's true this event is foundation for other more relevant aspects of the story.

Dex-chan lover
How come Polidoro's man boobs keep getting bigger each chapter?

Dex-chan lover
Is it any good? Cause right now it feels meaningless? I don’t mind spoilers so please give examples.
I think so. In the sense that I enjoy it.

Caroline is actually an excellent leader loved by her people but was sadly born as the second daughter. Her elder sister is weak willed and weak bodied. Thus the corrupt nobles banded together to support the eldest. All the while extorting taxes from the citizens and driving there territory into poverty. So with her loyal vassals, Caroline attempts to overthrow her sister. But the corruption ran deeper than she thought. Her plan was leaked and they lost the battle on the home front and Caroline fled with her remaining solders.
The thing is, the elder sister also agreed that she wasn't suited for the job. She was somewhat aware of what was going on. She was just too weak to do anything about it. She is unable to bare an heir and was planning to adopt her niece.
All this lays the ground work for Caroline's daughter, Martina (8) to become Lord Polydoros page. The girl is supposedly a genius. She was originally supposed to be executed. But our guy stepped in. This caused waves in the royal court.

This is all a set up to introduce the neighboring country Verindorf. Years ago their powerful general Rodenbecker lost in battle to Faust. It shook their country as a power house has died. Now they revere Faust as a muscly Adonis.

We see less and less thirsty stuff moving forward. But all the main girls including the Queen of Verindorf fall for Faust.

But the TL is confusing at times. And there are 140 chapters and a little over 50 free available chapters right now. they open every 2-3 days. I wont lie. It feels monotonous at times in the lulls between events but I always come back. I just really like it.

I wouldn't say she's referenced a lot. At least not in comparison to Reckenber.

But it's true this event is foundation for other more relevant aspects of the story.
Nah, I definitely agree. Compared to Reckenber she is referenced way less, but she seems to come up in Fausts monologue every time he talks to/thinks about Martina.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Is it any good? Cause right now it feels meaningless? I don’t mind spoilers so please give examples.
It leads into several aspects of the story and setting. It touches a little on the management of dukes and lords in a kingdom and plays on Faust's fears for his own land.

But most directly:

Faust shames himself by pleading for the life of Caroline's daughter in front of the queen and all the lords of the kingdom. The lords and royalty write it off as him losing himself in rage as the Knight of Wrath. He subsequently makes her his squire. I think this event in court will inform another future court appearance I haven't read yet.

So far, the WN has done a good job of making pretty much everything relevant or foundational for other aspects of the story. This is just chapter 9 of the manga. The translated WN is up to chapter 140 so readers aren't going to immediately understand the point of an arc.

Users who are viewing this thread