TELOMERE - Ch. 5 - Episode 5 "Raison d'être"

Dex-chan lover
A rather interesting 5 chapters. The translations a bit stilted but it's legible and that's what matters.

Also, the premise is really unique. I mean, being immune to zombies is nothing new but being ignored by them? Now that's new (or at least, rare). It essentially removes the second biggest threat in a zombie apocalypse, maybe even going as far to make them into assets. So seeing zombies helping the kids is nice.

Dex-chan lover
A rather interesting 5 chapters. The translations a bit stilted but it's legible and that's what matters.

Also, the premise is really unique. I mean, being immune to zombies is nothing new but being ignored by them? Now that's new (or at least, rare). It essentially removes the second biggest threat in a zombie apocalypse, maybe even going as far to make them into assets. So seeing zombies helping the kids is nice.
It's not that they are ignored, you forget the part about them being children of Zombies. They are zombies that were born human. So it's not "Before we lived a normal life and now we are survivors in this Japan full of zombies" It's "I was born into this world and they are part of my family."

Dex-chan lover
I'm assuming the translation of "protozoan" is correct, which makes for an interesting twist on the usual zombie virus story. Being an actual form of life (with it's own kingdom to boot) puts it more in the realm of the fungal infection like the Last of Us, and creates interesting storytelling possibilities around it's capabilities. Perhaps the children have learned to live with it symbiotically rather than parasitically? :finnawoke:

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Dex-chan lover
I'm assuming the translation of "protozoan" is correct, which makes for an interesting twist on the usual zombie virus story. Being an actual form of life (with it's own kingdom to boot) puts it more in the realm of the fungal infection like the Last of Us, and creates interesting storytelling possibilities around it's capabilities. Perhaps the children have learned to live with it symbiotically rather than parasitically? :finnawoke:

Good stuff. :thumbsup:
They were born from zombie parents, so they probably have it since first day

Group Leader
You're doing fine for your first translation! Two things, which lots of TLs mess up.

Page 18, bottom right - I don't have the raws, but she's probably going iyaaaa yada yada or something like that? It's fine to just translate that as Noooo no no no stop it, etc. For 'konai de' you can go with 'stay away stay away stay away' or 'keep away'. Some things just sound more natural in English and some more natural in Japanese.

Page 24: 'Are you lying?' This is a big one. I see even semi-experienced TLs make this mistake every week on MD chapters. He's probably saying something like 'oi oi! uso desho?!' Well 'uso' can mean 'lie' but usually doesn't, even though every MTL will translate it as that and lots of people will tell you it means that. What it really means is 'something that's not true, for whatever reason - and often used as a joke'. You could accurately translate it as 'no way' in almost every single instance (though that might be awkward in context) and often in a joking way.

The easy test is whether the speaker is actually accusing another person of intentionately having said things they knew were false in order to deceive the speaker. If I knew Akira was here and I told you Akira was not here, that 'uso' is a lie. If the criminal says something and the prosecutor replies with 'Sore ha... uso!' Yes, it probably means 'That's... a lie!'

On the other hand, if I told you Akira couldn't make it to our party because he'd gotten a girlfriend and was spending the evening with her instead, and you said 'Majiii usoooo?' that just means 'Seriously? No waaaay!'. You're not seriously accusing me of being a filthy, malicious liar, you're just joking that you can't believe Akira decided to hang with his girlfriend instead of us (or maybe that you can't believe Akira even managed to get a girlfriend). Depending on the character you could also TL it as 'You're cappin, bro!' or 'You're lyin' dude!' with the understanding that the 'lying' bit is also a joke. And of course 'No way!' works.

Another common mistake in TLs is where someone sees a something unexpected unfold in front of them, like a plane crash, and goes 'Uso!' and that gets translated as 'It's a lie!'. Or the weak MC beats the studly popular chad in a match. They're really saying 'No way!' or 'This can't be happening!' as a form of mental denial of the tragedy. It may be hard for ESL people to understand, but there's a big difference between 'That's a lie!' and 'This can't be happening!' They're both denials of reality, but in the case of 'It's a lie' there is malicious intent to decieve you specifically. 'It's a lie!' might actually be a reasonable TL if the char knew there was a bad guy casting illusions to decieve him or he's trapped in someone's VR hell. Otherwise it's 'No way!' or some variation.

Okay, so in this case it makes no sense for him to be calling her a liar, so what he's saying is more like 'Hey hey! Can this be real? Another human?' or 'Hey hey! No way! Are you human?'

You'll get this stuff!

Dex-chan lover
So we get to call the bad guy Johnny? 💀💀💀
Thanks for the translation!!!

Users who are viewing this thread