Tengoku Daimakyou - Vol. 10 Ch. 57 - Man-eater

Dex-chan lover
I wanted them to stay for longer, feels like there were more characters and things to explore, ever since the doc killed himself I feel like the story has been rushed

Supporter
Also something to remember, Ishiguro said the series just crossed the halfway point back when chapter 48 was about to be published. There is still plenty of manga story left to go.
Do you have a link to this commentary?

Dex-chan lover
they'll drop the pregnancy scare for a few chapters and then reveal it all again later.

Dex-chan lover
Sooooo... If this robot's name is "Nata", it means it's somehow connected to Nata. But Nata's body was taken by Kaminaka. So like, does it mean that Nata's brain was inserted into that robot after being removed from her original self, OR that old hag kept pretending to be Nata over the years and one way or another (maybe Nata's body caught virus and they decided to transplant her brain to that robot, to save her from becoming Man-Eater?) she ended being robot?
Jesus, I love this manga, it mess with my brain so much.
there is a.... jar... on her. that's almost certainly where her brain is

you can see it in this picture
Is this perhaps meant to be taken figuratively and not literally?

I was certain almost immediately. once you get used to it this manga is pretty predictable. it follows all of the tropes of "this kind" of dark manga almost to a t. what makes it good is that the characters are really quite good, the story is solid, and the gender-bender is a bonus

Dex-chan lover
Do you have a link to this commentary?
The source is an interview Ishiguro gave for the guidebook released last year, you can read a semi-machine translation of the interview here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sv6IKjkEMcJ2eG-0HZ6Iv2thcsK71tKRBo-lHNvGrX0/mobilebasic

And here is a link to the original Japanese RAWs of the whole guidebook: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10Py4IGRAqAdOmEGA-pk-2gl34OAZpZlj

they'll drop the pregnancy scare for a few chapters and then reveal it all again later.
Kiruko just had their period at the end of the previous chapter, they literally can’t be pregnant.

Dex-chan lover
Yep robot confirmed nata

Idk I feel like her explanation of the past was lackluster. That's it? An AI?

She is definitely hiding the fact that everyone in the staff or at least all the investors were planning to remove the brains of the super kids and substitute with with their own and become superhuman or at least super healthy.

Also Nata knows this because it happened to her. She is probably keeping it quiet to protect the doctor who didn't kill her.

I am amazed that Kiruko didn't question it all: why would a doctor know or learn how to switch brains in a simple medical school? It was clear that the AI taught him how to do it.

Dex-chan lover
I love the fact that Kiruko asks the question any sane man who isn't living in 2023 is saying: what you were doing sounds demented. Why would you do this?
Me (hardly restraining myself): well you see, we did them... because we could and wanted to see what happens...

Kiruko: Have more trust in the lost generation?
Me: so... can you be a farmer?

Kiruko: I have no idea what kind of World you used to live in...
Me: oh, you will. Just survive for 50 more years... you will.

Edit: I sort of really want the series to not end on the happy note like:" We will do better, we promise!"

I want it to flashforwars 50 years in the future where Kiruko and Maru see their grandkids have the same kind of existential crisis as the generation that made this ruined world and they will make a tough but good decision.

Dex-chan lover
Wish to see Mako and Sakuya alive in Osaka QAQ
Why would they be in Osaka?

Also Mako is likely already dead and transformed into the Man-Eater Helm was trying to fight back in chapters 38-40.

She is definitely hiding the fact that everyone in the staff or at least all the investors were planning to remove the brains of the super kids and substitute with with their own and become superhuman or at least super healthy.

Also Nata knows this because it happened to her. She is probably keeping it quiet to protect the doctor who didn't kill her.

I am amazed that Kiruko didn't question it all: why would a doctor know or learn how to switch brains in a simple medical school? It was clear that the AI taught him how to do it.
Considering how surprised Sawatari/Sakota was at The Director's plan to transplant her brain, I don't think there were necessarily plans for anyone besides The Director to transplant their brains into a student's body.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Why would they be in Osaka?

Also Mako is likely already dead and transformed into the Man-Eater Helm was trying to fight back in chapters 38-40.

Considering how surprised Sawatari/Sakota was at The Director's plan to transplant her brain, I don't think there were necessarily plans for anyone besides The Director to transplant their brains into a student's body.

Then I feel like you don't understand how rich people think. They don't give their money away for someone else. Everything they give is an investment in something.

Why would they make these superhuman ready for the future and yet not teach them anything about the outside world? About what their purpose is? It was to keep them contained. Heaven was a zoo for these kids.

This is literally like the plot of The Island with Ewan MacGregor. They never planned to have the kids create a new world, they were meant to be hosts for these billionaires and world leaders who were going to rebuild the world. But the disease and the asteroid might have changed everything.

Dex-chan lover
Then I feel like you don't understand how rich people think. They don't give their money away for someone else. Everything they give is an investment in something.

Why would they make these superhuman ready for the future and yet not teach them anything about the outside world? About what their purpose is? It was to keep them contained. Heaven was a zoo for these kids.

This is literally like the plot of The Island with Ewan MacGregor. They never planned to have the kids create a new world, they were meant to be hosts for these billionaires and world leaders who were going to rebuild the world. But the disease and the asteroid might have changed everything.
The asteroid wasn’t an unexpected thing like the mystery disease was, the asteroid hitting Earth was always part of the plan. Like that’s why those synthetic soldiers (the ones that the same gun as Kiruko’s) were created, to sabotage various nations’ attempts to keep the asteroid from impacting Earth.

And while Takahara Academy was definitely driven by rich people interests, it was also very cult-like, where even other rich members are implied to be sacrificed for the greater goal, e.g. Aoshima’s mother, one of Takahara’s main donors, became one of the individuals “analyzed” by Mīna (which is implied to be a lethal process).

While its not impossible that other higher executives also had plans to transplant their brains too, as it currently stands there isn’t any hard definitive evidence that anyone besides The Director planned for a brain transplant in the future, at least not the near future.

Group Leader
Kiruko just had their period at the end of the previous chapter, they literally can’t be pregnant.
bleeding during pregnancy can be mistaken for a period while pregnant, and pregnancy bleeding, especially in the first cycle after conception, is more common than you might expect...

Dex-chan lover
bleeding during pregnancy can be mistaken for a period while pregnant, and pregnancy bleeding, especially in the first cycle after conception, is more common than you might expect...
It’s still not that common, it only occurs in about 30% of pregnancies. And besides the “it wasn’t a dump” line implying that it was blood, the fact that Kiruko expected more bleeding (and cramping/pain) over the next day or two (hence their request for a towel) indicates that it is indeed menstrual bleeding, and not implantation bleeding (and as we see in this chapter they stayed for another 3 days, which is in the normal range of how long a period lasts).
If Ishiguro wanted to foreshadow pregnancy he would likely use and depict a symptom that’s far more common/universal to pregnancy than implantation bleeding, like he previously did with Tokio’s morning sickness.

Still being worried about Kiruko being pregnant after these chapters is like the equivalent of speculating about, for example, if a main character in a futuristic science-fiction story lost an arm after a big battle/fight, because we haven’t seen them remove their cloak since the big fight. But then when the character finally removes their cloak in the most recent chapter/part of the story and shows the audience they are unwounded and literally has a scene dedicated to showing that they have both arms, it would be like someone then going, “ah but what if they have a convincing prosthetic arm, and they actually did lose an arm?”
Yes, that’s technically possible, but it’s extremely unlikely when the most recent scene/chapter/etc. had just been dedicated to showing that character was unwounded. And that’s when this sort of “speculation” gets annoying.

For anyone who might be interested here are some updated character charts for the series
Heavenly_Delusion_character_chart_02_updated_ch57.png

Heavenly_Delusion_character_chart_01_updated_ch57.png

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's not them but the two radio guys Hani and Laima on left and right (you can see them at the begining of chapter 53).
The good question is who is the short figure in the middle since Momoika (the priestess) is on the right looking up.
Perhaps...

AnNSIX3.png

What’s Nata gonna do when she meets Tokio again? She pretty fixed on taking over Tokio’s body in the past

Dex-chan lover
What’s Nata gonna do when she meets Tokio again? She pretty fixed on taking over Tokio’s body in the past
You’ve mixed up so many things.

Nata never wanted to take over Tokio’s body. In fact no body ever wanted to take over Tokio’s body.

The Director (Shino Kaminaka) wanted to be transplanted into the body of Tokio and Kona’s child (the one she specifically tried to grab from Tokio was Yamato).

The Director then had her brain transplanted into Nata’s body (Nata had been rendered unconscious due to being struck in the head by rubble earlier). The Director-in-Nata’s-body later grew up to become Manaka Mikura, who died from the mysterious disease shortly after bringing Maru to Kiruko and hiring the latter to deliver and protect the former.

Nata’s brain however, was preserved in one of those brain-pod things and installed onto a Takahara Academy teacher-robot. That is who the robot calling themselves Nata is.

Mako became a Hiruko? Thought she was MIA. Where was this specified?
It’s still not that common, it only occurs in about 30% of pregnancies. And besides the “it wasn’t a dump” line implying that it was blood, the fact that Kiruko expected more bleeding (and cramping/pain) over the next day or two (hence their request for a towel) indicates that it is indeed menstrual bleeding, and not implantation bleeding (and as we see in this chapter they stayed for another 3 days, which is in the normal range of how long a period lasts).
If Ishiguro wanted to foreshadow pregnancy he would likely use and depict a symptom that’s far more common/universal to pregnancy than implantation bleeding, like he previously did with Tokio’s morning sickness.

Still being worried about Kiruko being pregnant after these chapters is like the equivalent of speculating about, for example, if a main character in a futuristic science-fiction story lost an arm after a big battle/fight, because we haven’t seen them remove their cloak since the big fight. But then when the character finally removes their cloak in the most recent chapter/part of the story and shows the audience they are unwounded and literally has a scene dedicated to showing that they have both arms, it would be like someone then going, “ah but what if they have a convincing prosthetic arm, and they actually did lose an arm?”
Yes, that’s technically possible, but it’s extremely unlikely when the most recent scene/chapter/etc. had just been dedicated to showing that character was unwounded. And that’s when this sort of “speculation” gets annoying.

For anyone who might be interested here are some updated character charts for the series
Heavenly_Delusion_character_chart_02_updated_ch57.png

Heavenly_Delusion_character_chart_01_updated_ch57.png

Dex-chan lover
Mako became a Hiruko? Thought she was MIA. Where was this specified?
It's implied by the fact that Mako and the Man-Eater from volume 7 share very similar powers (which is a general rule of thumb for Man-Eaters and their original human selves in general). Also on a Doylistic/meta level Ishiguro tends to introduce Man-Eaters in the 2039 narrative around the same time their original human selves are given focus/introduced in the 2024/past narrative.

Users who are viewing this thread