Tengoku Daimakyou - Vol. 10 Ch. 60 - The Way of Manga ➀

Dex-chan lover
the Robin incident had nothing to do with it besides giving Maru another opportunity to showcase why Kiruko likes him, by helping Kiruko heal.
For me the Robin incident is the final nail in Haruki's coffin. What's the most important in the river scene is that Maru says to Kiruko that she's a new person, neither Kiriko nor Haruki, and she finally accepts it (she doesn't throw the stone to shut Maru up at that time but later). That's why we see in the final images the picture of Haruki in the water, not the one of Robin. So I consider that the Robin incident is part of Kiruko's journey and a pivotal moment, but the later cannot be summed up to just this incident.

Dex-chan lover
For me the Robin incident is the final nail in Haruki's coffin. What's the most important in the river scene is that Maru says to Kiruko that she's a new person, neither Kiriko nor Haruki, and she finally accepts it (she doesn't throw the stone to shut Maru up at that time but later). That's why we see in the final images the picture of Haruki in the water, not the one of Robin. So I consider that the Robin incident is part of Kiruko's journey and a pivotal moment, but the later cannot be summed up to just this incident.
Yes, we totally agree on that. In total, it's an important series of moments but not in the derogatory way some have mentioned it in. That river scene was, in my opinion, misinterpreted by a few who thought it was just about Maru confessing again but it really did some work for Kiruko at an important time, while keeping Maru in character.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
so the manga is saying that transgenderism = autogynephilia and sissification fetish ?
Looks like it's another victory for the terfs, trans-sisters...
No one laughed-reacted to your first dumb comment so you made another equally dumb one right after?

Chapter translations seemed weird this time. Lots of little errors and certain sentences didn't flow naturally

Dex-chan lover
Literally do not care that she's kinda cute, wtf is her problem? She sent thugs to assault another female mangaku because she got writer's block??

Not much to say about these past chapters, the new arc is building up but I can't say it's very interesting so far. Here's hoping it's going towards something big, most likely meeting Robin again and hopefully putting him in the ground this time. Would love a surprise Yamato, or maybe even Tokio and Kona in the present. From what I gathered, they're heading towards their community without much doubt now
The New Heaven community in Osaka isn’t where Yamato’s last address was (that’s located on the island of Kyūshū), the New Heaven community is where the orphanage (which was founded and run by Toru) moved to after the accident in Asakusa 5 years ago.

Also Kiruko’s gender isn’t simply them accepting themselves as a “woman”, the mangaka Ishiguro has stated their character is about gender and sexuality fluidity and rejecting the idea of binary gender (see here this interview from this year: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ly-delusion-creator-masakazu-ishiguro/.201179 )

And if anyone wants to read the better quality official release scans, they can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MGpiGq2zuD_10zzXVqeN-tUUVUNJJnTu?usp=sharing

Dex-chan lover
To me this mangaka thing feels realistic at the same time I wonder: "70% of your country doesn't have running water or plumbing or electricity. This seems like a strange time to bring up manga. I would rather have e book about: "How yo survive?", "What can you eat?" Etc.

The second thing that people seem to be talking about is Kiruko liking Maru. In a world where Brian transplants are just possible, people wonder if he is "gay", "trans", etc.
To me Kiruko seems like she is beyond trans, to be trans and became a full girl with body, a period, etc.
About the brain: well the brain receives a lot of information from the body and releases a lot of chemicals and hormones too.
I think that Kiruko has been living for for years now in a female body while trying to keep a male identity. In essence Kiruko became a tomboy girl. Which is probably why Maru likes her so much.
So in some ways I agree with people that said that Kiruko is more likely became a bisexual. Haruka might have been bisexual or straight but after living. Half his childhood in a Boy's body and the following 5 years or so in a female body then it is likely that the lines are no longer straightforward.

I don't think that Robin's forced sexual encounter pushed the scales any place. Kiruko was just confused and suffered a mental breakdown and an identity crisis.
Kiruko has not yet come go terms with her new identity and it's starting to surface. Sooner or later she is going to have to talk with someone who is going to help her accept who she is now.

Dex-chan lover
To me this mangaka thing feels realistic at the same time I wonder: "70% of your country doesn't have running water or plumbing or electricity. This seems like a strange time to bring up manga. I would rather have e book about: "How yo survive?", "What can you eat?" Etc.
The whole "write manga after the apocalypse" thing is deeply ingrained in mangaka culture thanks to the fact that IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED historically after WW2. The great legends of the manga world "Fujiko Fujio" and Tezuka Osamu wrote their manga under conditions very similar to what is shown here. Katagiri Polka is just repeating FF and Tezuka's historical words and sentiments. She isn't a self-insert of the mangaka but basically a Tezuka clone with Nagai Go sensibilities

You can actually see this kind of character insert most commonly in the manga written by Urasawa Naoki. Billy Bat has a chad superhero Tezuka as its first main character, and 20th Century Boys revives "Fujiko Fujio" as truth-tellers in a fascist future Japan.

Dex-chan lover
The whole "write manga after the apocalypse" thing is deeply ingrained in mangaka culture thanks to the fact that IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED historically after WW2. The great legends of the manga world "Fujiko Fujio" and Tezuka Osamu wrote their manga under conditions very similar to what is shown here. Katagiri Polka is just repeating FF and Tezuka's historical words and sentiments. She isn't a self-insert of the mangaka but basically a Tezuka clone with Nagai Go sensibilities

You can actually see this kind of character insert most commonly in the manga written by Urasawa Naoki. Billy Bat has a chad superhero Tezuka as its first main character, and 20th Century Boys revives "Fujiko Fujio" as truth-tellers in a fascist future Japan.
Yes, for better or worse, creatives are well known to create during and after trauma. It's a very realistic thing to have in this setting, especially since this place is somewhat "stable." I'd be doing the same thing, I think. Those stories are personal journals, records of events and escapism all in one. Who wouldn't want to mentally escape from the apocalypse?

Dex-chan lover
I heard someone once talked about the theory that Haruki might be transgender deep inside (but have no idea about this), that’s why he loved his sister(‘s female body) and had that admiration towards Robin, though he is still in the middle of identity crisis when he achieved his ideal body the worst possible way.

Honestly, I’m skeptical about this idea but there is something that worth to consider, especially towards an ending that is more lean to a “happy” and convenience conclusion.
It's probable. Haruki's love for Kiriko can certainly be read as mixed feelings of wanting to be her, they even explicitly say that if they just became their sister they'd be happy. It also gives another way to view Kiruko being fine with Maru calling them Onee-chan and even saying that there's no problem with him continuing to do so.

As for the honestly quite disgusting misconceptions about how the SA affected Kiruko's identity (can people please stop dragging every single discussion back to chapter 32?), before that event Kiruko had displayed disassociation between their identity and body, placing them very separate and probably with a lot of guilt baked in. During the SA they disassociated even further, attempting to view it as Haruki having to watch his sister be the one it was happening to. Only after this do they start coming to terms with themself being the one who went through that trauma and beginning the road of understanding that they're their own person. The SA didn't cause any romantic feelings or "accepting that they're a woman," (seriously what the fuck?) it was having someone there to help them heal from it and accept themself.

Untitled.png

image.png

Dex-chan lover
Think about it, he is a gay/bisexual dude, who also had the hots for his sister, ends trapped in the body of his sister, and then is fucked into becoming a woman in and out, and as a result has an identity crisis for like half a chapter, he is a mess and I have no idea for how this will be resolved
Man, that's one real Osiris Lincoln moment there.

Fed-Kun's army
As said in the chapter, it's been like 10+ years since the disaster. Society has somewhat stabilized. Hence it's not unusual to see people pursue something else beside survival stuff.

Dex-chan lover
can anyone recc some stuff i can read that’s similar to this?
Well there’s the original Akira manga, that’s one of the mangaka’s major inspirations for this series (and his work in general). There’s also Armored Trooper Votoms which is another source of inspiration the mangaka has cited. There’s the mangaka’s other major work called And Yet The Town Moves (aka Soremachi) though it’s a much different slice-of-slice/mystery series. Ishiguro also did a single volume series called Skygrazer which is arguably the most similar in genre/style to Heavenly Delusion.
Summertime Rendering is another series that involves a brother inhabiting the body of his deceased sister that’s also mystery focused I believe.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
it's a different setting (fantasy europe instead of post apocalypse), but The Witch and the Beast has a somewhat similar premise of two partners trying to track down the person who messed with one of their bodies. While their dynamic is very different from Maru and Kiruko, the story is also about the MC gradually forming/figuring out their identity, although in Guideau's case a big part of it is becoming more human. There are other similarities but it would be spoilers to point out what they are.

Dex-chan lover
As already mentioned, Akira. The actual inspiration for this manga.

Another Akira clone that's pretty similar but definitely darker is Adou. However, Tengoku Daimakyou is superior in managing to keep a very lighthearted atmosphere throughout.

For similar feel and mix of transhumanism, adventure, situational humor, and character development, check out Sidonia no Kishi (Knights of Sidonia). It's also one of the best hard-sci-fi manga/anime out there.

For generally similar thematic feel and character interactions, 20th Century Boys. Urasawa's newest work Asadora is also getting there.

Also, just check out the rest of Ishiguro's works. They're all great.

Interesting chapter. Don't know exactly where this is heading, but I'm on for the long haul.

Users who are viewing this thread