Tensei Kenja no Isekai Life - Vol. 4 Ch. 12 - It Seems It Was Rather Cold and Dreadful

Dex-chan lover
In all fairness, that food did look tasty.
Someone should alert him to how good some of local fauna is. Tondemo skill and Dungeon Meshi do great
jobs of this. He already bumped off two dragons, and those are delicacies in all kinds of fantasy. Instead he
just plops the carcass of the monster off and is on his merry way.

Aggregator gang
they better have a spell to grow trees quickly or they'll be at risk of landslides when the snow thaws and desertifaction when its dry again

Dex-chan lover
I was thinking 5 tons a day seemed way too high for the size of the village we saw. But then realized that if the houses are in such a climate that even chimneys are unneeded, they would obviously have incredibly bad insulation.

Also. If he can make a bunch of pebbles into magic items, why not make some that give off heat or insulate the air so heat doesn't escape?

Dex-chan lover
Bruh...fix the storm.

Stop destroying the forest and FIX THE ACTUAL PROBLEM!

Dex-chan lover
Judging from the chapter, looks like the artist hadn't felled a tree, chopped firewood, not kindled a fireplace even once in his life. And what sort of insane person would make a fire in their house with no stove or fireplace with all of the windows closed? Forget carbon monoxide, you'd simply choke on the smoke. Although your house would be ruined either way. I think the method to do this would actually be making the fire outside and then taking in coals in braziers to warm the house. And all this is happening in a place with magic. Is there no such thing as a heating spell?

If the MC was a stickman it would make a lot more sense. This dude is so... Empty. The story is funny and the side characters somewhat believable. It is just the MC that is really off.

Aside from the obvious stupidity about chopping down trees and magically making firewood. I think the point of this city not knowing a damn thing about burning fires (which is insanity to me) comes down to the fact that they're supposed to be a southern realm that doesn't get winter? But even then. . .

That being said. 5 tons of firewood a day isn't that bad of a requirement for a town. But for a town that's never produced firewood / doesn't have any stockpiles. It makes sense that they think this is impossible of a task. But let me state that MC could easily fill this requirement.

Literally, 5 tons of firewood (Pre drying) can be a 2 tree. Obviously it depends on the types they have and how tall + wide the tree is. But if they're anything like the average red pine. You'd need at most, 6 trees of good height to get 5 tons of firewood.

But still, they're right about firewood needing about a year to dry. But that also depends on the wood and moisture content. If they were really desperate, and they are. They should be stockpiling the wood in a warehouse that's constantly being heated up, to dry that air right the fuck out. To get the firewood making process done as fast as possible.

Dex-chan lover
@SeryjVolk : They explained it in the chapter.

1. This place used to have mild climate i.e. never have to experience winter (and this started just 10 days ago), that's why they don't have any clue outside of hearsay ('places in winter area burn wood in their house') on how to deal with it.

2. If they open the door, the cold from outside get in and make the whole point of trying to warm the room moot.

3. They ran out of the dried firewood to use hence why they had to use the firewood that caused a lot of smoke.

And it looks like magic is a rare talent in this world i.e. no universally usable magic

Dex-chan lover
Cold don't "get in", the magic likely stops the heat from leaving the body...
For all porpoises cold does not exist, it is just the sensation of losing heat.

This one is going to become a cooking manga too?

Aggregator gang
So the houses are so badly insulated that somehow ALL of the smoke they are making from wet firewood is leaving the houses... but it's insulated just enough that they can get carbon monoxide poisoning? Yeah, I don't buy that for a second.

Dex-chan lover
@mahtan Technically cold does exist, same as vacuum. Cold is not a sensation, it's the absence of heat. But you're right, cold doesn't 'get in', it's heat 'getting out'.😊

Dex-chan lover
Somehow it was a proper chapter end, and yet felt as abrupt and mid-sentence as one of those mangas that split each chapter into 6... :s

Dex-chan lover
so if I'm not crazy the town was being constantly heated by that weird machine we got a glimpse of?

Users who are viewing this thread