Tensei Kenja no Isekai Life - Vol. 4 Ch. 12 - It Seems It Was Rather Cold and Dreadful

In a world where people don't use electricity or gas to cook, and apparently magic stoves aren't common/non existent, how the fuck the houses don't have a chimney for the wood burning stove? I don't care if the climate is so hot that they don't need to burn wood to heat houses, they will still need to burn wood to cook, and the stoves will need some sort of chimney to send the smoke out of the house. "they just need to open the windows to let the smoke go out" isn't enough of an excuse, because if you are making a fire inside the house, the smoke will cover the ceiling, walls and other stuff in soot if you don't have a chimney. they should at least have a chimney for the cooking stove, and normally, that stove also heats the house.

it's incredible bizarre.

Dex-chan lover
@Algoz Judging by the size of the restaurant's stove (which should be the biggest in town) and the size of the houses, cooking stoves would not be enough to heat a house. For a supposedly tropical region, windows and such would likely be open all the time, so a simple hatch would be enough to get rid of smoke with wind blowing through the house anyways. Also, they probably have small chimneys (since the fire is only needed for an hour, tops) for the stoves, but constantly burning wet firewood for 10 days would clog them.

Edit: I admit though, the architecture makes no sense for a supposedly hot region. Way too massive walls, and too small windows. Also, I clearly saw evergreens in some backgrounds. WTH?

woah, 5 tons per day? goodbye forest

i agree that he need to solve what causing the snow.

@cor3zone even if burning wet firewood would clog chimneys quicker (i never seen this, and in my house we use wood burning stoves during the entire year, although we don't have a habit of using wet firewood), you can unclog the chimneys, although I don't think they would need to do this, because it's only 10 days burning this wet wood (I've kept a stove lit for more than a year, about 16 hours per day, and clean the chimney 1 or 2 times per year max). you also don't need to heat the ENTIRE house (although, again, if it can, it will be better), you just need to heat one room, and the people can stay in the room during the day, and pile blankets (even clothes, if you are desperate) in the bed at night.
I don't know if you used a wood burning stove before, but usually one stove can heat a big portion of the house easily.

Dex-chan lover
@Lanfear Well when you think about it, firewood can be fairly heavy depending on which kind of wood is used. These also look to be a bit heavier pieces given their cut size and that most are just cut in half, not thirds or quarters. Say each piece weighs on average 10 pounds or so, with 2000 pounds per ton, that is just 1000 pieces of wood. Burning almost continuously while adding 1 new piece every 1-2 hours to maintain heat, per every household. Lets say a house goes through 20 pieces a day (giving them a few hours where they let it go unkept for a time while they slept or were out). That is 50 houses, not even including commercial buildings which are separate from residential, or take more wood to heat entirely like inns. 5 ton is likely an accurate estimate for a minimum.

Dex-chan lover
@Algoz Like you said, smoke = soot. Wet firewood = more smoke. If the chimney is of a small diameter, probable since it's only for small short-lived fires, it would clog incredibly quickly. I grew up with wood burning stoves, and being poor we often had to settle for wet wood. It's pretty bad. Also, they live in a warm region. The houses aren't insulated, meaning the heat would escape the room instantly anyways. They also aren't used to using fire for heating, and were just hit with a blizzard out of nowhere. The panic must be pretty real, which means logic is low.

5 tons of Wood isn't even that much. People forget how heavy 1 tree is in the first place.

Though, yeah. 5 tons A DAY can dwarf a forest real quick depending on how long it lasts.

@cor3zone since you said you have experience with wet firewood and wood burning stoves (btw, how big is your chimney? I will say the chimney in my house isn't small but it isn't bigger either, it's similar to this one: http://www.a1everlast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/croton-on-hudson-ny-copper-chimney-cap-slate-roof-th-remodeling-1-1.jpg), how frequently would it clog? because I don't think it would clog more than 1 time per month, and they said they are using only 10 days at most, no?

Dex-chan lover
@Algoz The cooking stove we had just had a pipe running through the wall, maybe 2 dm in diameter. The only time we had to constantly burn in it for heat(due to repairwork elsewhere), we had to clear the soot every-other day. Not a full clog, but enough to get smokey inside. Since they would probably very rarely need to clear it, they likely wouldn't realize the problem.

Dex-chan lover
he should just focus on trying to fix the weather or the world will hold no trees if he continues. but i guess he will prolly fix the weather in a few chapter

Aggregator gang
My god. Author doesn't seem to understand how much wood 5 tons is. Or its a comment on the poor use and management of the village.
(I could maybe believe it if they were redwood but it appears to be mostly spruce)

Dex-chan lover
As someone who also use firewood as fuel daily until some 10 years ago, i never find people using weight like ton, as unit of measurement (for obvious reason like pricing). In my place at least. We use Cubic metre. Also, we hardly make firewood by cutting. . a whole tree, instead we use only the branch or the already fallen parts most of the time.

A single log from a big enoguh tree cost around $120, you are crazy if you want to turn/buy them into/as a firewood.

*If you manage the fire carefully, a single cubic metre can last for full 24 hours btw. And a single tree can produce around 3 cubic metre of firewood. If you only use them for cooking, it can last for more than 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread