Tensei Reijou wa Shomin no Aji ni Uete Iru

Dex-chan lover
Essentially a "Other world cuisine disgusts me who came from another world. Let's make it from scratch from memory!". Too many people have too high expectations tbh, it's not bad for what it is.

@lolnope People often get taken aback by the "exotic" appeal of it. But when it comes down to it I will take any egg, bacon/sausage and waffle breakfast over the traditional Japanese rice, fish and soup.

While I really like this and most cooking manga - the "propaganda' feeling about Japanese culture can get really annoying for foreign readers (aka, not the original demographic).

japanese food vs random chinese food :eek:

(I hate chinese food §)

Dex-chan lover
Shoujooooooooooo and cooking makes a double boring ass.

@grom
But yeah, Ramen is one of the best noodle dishes.

@Omanyte

Right? Especially when they dumb down (or gross down) the native food of their new world just to show how ~amazing~ unsalted, unbuttered rice is. Medieval food was actually pretty lit and food preservation techniques were more than just salt. Like they had fried food! Sandwiches and sandwich-type foods existed back then lmao

Double-page supporter
Even I appreciate a simple seared steak every now and then. Even I can’t stomach plain rice forever. Also ham was pretty dam good during the medieval ages. I’m just tired of these I mean I appreciate the cute by why not Indian or someplace other then japan for once for these?

@grom ever had egg custard?

What I don't really get about many of these isekais that focus on Japanese food is what foods they focus on. They focus on noodle and soup dishes, and rice, but almost nothing else.

@Omanyte There's plenty of Japanese foods that use eggs, bacon, and other ingredients. Okonomiyaki, for example, normally includes both of those in one large pancake-like meal. And from what I hear, eggs are a pretty common breakfast food in Japan, too.
There's also world-famous steaks, and tons of seafood dishes that are mostly ignored in these stories.
I suppose I get that being forced to eat only unfamiliar foods would leave you wanting a meal that you consider "normal," but I don't get why that 'normal meal' is basically the same in all of these stories.

@Tairo - Oh, I am not saying Japanese cooking is bad; I used the traditional Japanese breakfast (rice, miso, fish) as an example of something that is not necessarily better than a typical American or English breakfast (at least in terms of taste).

It is more in line to what you mentioned about the focus on Japanese food in general - a lot of authors seem to be hellbent on proving Japanese cuisine is superior.

In regards of "isekai cuisine" I think Word Master handles local dishes better than other manga - even if I am not really a fan of the story itself.

I hate how they make food during those times shit. You ever try Chinese food? The Chinese could make gourmet way before those times. This manga makes other cultures seem uncultured (pun intended).

Edit bruh why you calling me a chinaeboo I’m just saying how much pride the Japanese have.

@AlGarone as a Chinese, I can understand where you're coming from

But honestly, if you think about it, Chinese cuisine focused on bringing out flavour from herbs and plants, it wasn't anything special. Steaming, roasting, etc...

other countries were just slow on the uptake, kukuku...

in other words they were dummies, not uncultured.

Users who are viewing this thread