Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita - Vol. 13 Ch. 63 - The Black Tail of a Magic Sword Girl

I feel like we're going into more of a slice of life direction.

Also Comments are finally back!!

Dex-chan lover
Wait, wait wait wait. Your complaining about Japanism on a site that is mostly Japanese works? Maybe you should find another site that post up marvel or dc comics man. Sounds like this is not the place for you.
But it's a valid complaint, katanas come from the fact that iron was so poor in japan. Makes no sense in a fantasy world that doesn't have this issue especially as Katana have horrid blade retention and break easily.

Dex-chan lover
But it's a valid complaint, katanas come from the fact that iron was so poor in japan. Makes no sense in a fantasy world that doesn't have this issue especially as Katana have horrid blade retention and break easily.
Katanas, if made with modern or fantasy steel, are/would be very equivalent to European swords. With period accurate steel, it would still be reasonably comparable, since that's why they folded the steel so much, to even out the impurities and get up to good quality European steel. But that's not unique to Japan, as for instance Norse swordsmiths also used folding techniques when working with inferior steel.

What breaks it for me is when they use Iaido as a technique that's faster normal attacks while already in battle with drawn swords. It's suppose to be for ambushes when you don't have your sword drawn, so you can surprise the opponents by attacking almost as fast as you can with the blade drawn.

I think this arc demonstrates the series strengths and weaknesses the most, it also where the series gets good, I don't think there has been a single bad arc after the rough start of this one.
I made the exact same statement "Oh fuck me, it's the cooking arc" when first reading the LN, it feels like isekai authors are playing bingo with tropes, and oh boy, this one might be the first winner. It almost feels like he's doing it on purpose.
It almost feels like he's doing it on purpose, it's not as heavy handed with its subversiveness as spider, they are still allowed to go on fun adventures in isekai land, but its still there. This arc really shows that off,
"somehow Fran and Master manage to foil a massive chemical weapon attack, by just trying to win a cooking competition."]

All in all, this arc's high points are when the series gets good (climax especially), and its lows are the cringest isekai slop.

Dex-chan lover
Katanas, if made with modern or fantasy steel, are/would be very equivalent to European swords. With period accurate steel, it would still be reasonably comparable, since that's why they folded the steel so much, to even out the impurities and get up to good quality European steel. But that's not unique to Japan, as for instance Norse swordsmiths also used folding techniques when working with inferior steel.

What breaks it for me is when they use Iaido as a technique that's faster normal attacks while already in battle with drawn swords. It's suppose to be for ambushes when you don't have your sword drawn, so you can surprise the opponents by attacking almost as fast as you can with the blade drawn.
No they wouldn't and ''European swords'' is way too broad a category for that comparison to be fair anyways. Here's a good video on the subject.

Dex-chan lover
No they wouldn't and ''European swords'' is way too broad a category for that comparison to be fair anyways. Here's a good video on the subject.
In what way wouldn't they be equivalent? What I mean with "equivalent" or "reasonably comparable" is that other factors like the smith's experience and skill, the sword users skill, or the specific example of the sword you're using have greater effect on whatever test you're making.

I used the term "European swords" since the variation in quality within any specific sword type is of far greater significance than the variation in quality between different sword types. I could've mentioned a specific sword type and compared with that, but that wouldn't have made any difference for this reason.

You could make an argument about the effect of what era of swords, since swords made in the 1500s would be of overall better quality than in the 800s, but then you're also making the strawman assumption that I was talking about different time periods in the first place.

Can you point where in the video Shad says something to refute what I said?

And since you included that in your quotation of what I wrote, what has that got to do with Iaido?

Except it's not. This doesn't have to be accurate to real life. People can't cast real magic spell, run on air, etc. It's a fantasy world it doesn't have to abide by any of our real world. If that's the case then Bruce Bannor should've died from that radiation. The comment just reeks of 'Muricaism. What's wrong with Japanese people making comics and wanting to wank their culture? We have a crapton of "America" comics too. It low key came off as a bit racist.

Dex-chan lover
Except it's not. This doesn't have to be accurate to real life. People can't cast real magic spell, run on air, etc. It's a fantasy world it doesn't have to abide by any of our real world. If that's the case then Bruce Bannor should've died from that radiation. The comment just reeks of 'Muricaism. What's wrong with Japanese people making comics and wanting to wank their culture? We have a crapton of "America" comics too. It low key came off as a bit racist.
Imagine looking at my profile and assuming Im american....... no thank you I prefer having great living conditions and healthcare.

When you make a series and it tries to be realiatic as possible then you question other things. Why would you develop a sword style specifically created to make use of poor steel?

Also calling me low key racist cause I questioned why katana in a more euro fantasy setting is hilarious.

Staff
Super Moderator
Lmao y'all are really having an argument about this?
Though I agree that it should be realistic as possible unless stated otherwise. Authors making things up as they go isn't good writing. But the manga just doesn't have enough depth to expect it to stay realistic.

Dex-chan lover
When you make a series and it tries to be realiatic as possible then you question other things. Why would you develop a sword style specifically created to make use of poor steel?

Also calling me low key racist cause I questioned why katana in a more euro fantasy setting is hilarious.
I don't think this is trying to be as realistic as possible. I don't think it's even middle ground as far as manga is concerned.

What do you mean with "sword style"? The way katanas are shaped, the way they're created, or the way they're used? Only one of those is tied to the poor steel: the creation process. The shape and use works perfectly well with modern steel quality, regardless of whether you use differential tempering or uniform spring steel, and those were formed based on the environment they fought in.

The way they forged the blades is usually something that's entirely skipped in most mangas I've read, assuming they're not just straight up magical or fantasy-created to begin with. But the traditional way of making them has both benefits and drawbacks. One thing I do agree with, though, is that I don't think it suits the way most fantasy combat is shown. In short, there are more benefits to unarmoured combat and more drawbacks to armoured combat, especially with regards to mail and plate armour.

Most of the time I have more problem with other Japanised aspects of the so-called European fantasy setting, like food culture and interpersonal relationships. Although that part is, as far as I can recall, better than average in this series.

Users who are viewing this thread