Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita - Vol. 7 Ch. 35 - King of the Undead

Aggregator gang
Great chapter ! I felt that arm.
The cover art is kind of disgusting, Fran is just a kid, goddamnit japan stop doing these shit stuff.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme Question is would he be able to keep his own free will as a lich? That might determine whether or not it is an option for him, aha. Not sure he want to live forever as a lich but not really be himself. But then again you never know.

@monkey123 Hehe :p

Dex-chan lover
what’s that one piano song that plays when the guy dies in shadow the hedgehog? yeah, alexa, could you play that?

Dex-chan lover
Dungeon Master dared to lewd Fran, a death sentence seems only reasonable.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think these guys don't understand the concept of a daughteru. You do not lewd the daughteru.

Dex-chan lover
@MoonlightwolfchanX I've never heard of any lore where a necromancer would lose their free will when becoming a lich. Possibly if it was a trap prepared by someone else. A lich is just as intelligent as the mage who became one. It's not a mindless monster or a servant undead.

Dex-chan lover
1ec7831368041ecf18044514b34c7c56c049fecer1-1001-679v2_hq.jpg

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme

there are a few fantasy worlds where you might get a different personality from what you used to be ( DND is a pretty good example ) as it can corupt the soul etc etc....
but usually only the failures become mindless undead monsters.
sticking to the same example in DND there is also usually a price of servitude for the knowledge itself. it is a taboo subject and only the evil gods and devil/demons tend to share it around much.
being a slave to a evil god might not be much better than losing your free will, but its not 100% the same.

but yeah, most liches are just mages who have turned undead to keep themselfs alive or just a common word for a generic more powerfull created undead magic user ( even if it never was alive ).
the key feture of liches that makes them unique from other undead magic users are that they revive with the help of a Phylactery.

Dex-chan lover
@Goldenzeal Yeah. I never really thought much about the personality change before Overlord (anime/LN), but it certainly makes sense. Though that being said, realistically, a necromancer becoming a lich is more likely to be of evil disposition than not by default, so corruption of the soul would be well underway even before the ritual. Of course a more neutral or even good necromancer becoming a lich would be an interesting idea, but it would be just an esoteric exception, no doubt, because it's a fundamentally profane path.

I'd say losing free will due to making a pact or paying a price for the knowledge is an external circumstance and, inherently, hasn't got anything to do with the method itself, unless it was a trap, like I said in the previous post. A summoned lich under the summoner's control is not an example either because such a lich wasn't necessarily anyone or anything before the spell was cast. Of course some evil god could simply turn someone into a lich under servitude against their will, but it doesn't really differ from a good goddess charming someone, making them serve "willingly" (as far as they'd claim) through love, admiration, dedication, and such.

Fed-Kun's army
It's been a while since we got some decent lewds of Fran. The artist is clearly a person of culture.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme

True most necromancers are evil, (witch i'm pretty miffed about because you don't have to be inherently evil to use undead/soul/life manipulation magic.... )
As for the corruption it's usually in the form of making them more cold and soulless like in Overlord or if a few cases makeing them obsessed with things they care about.
Both pretty common big bad evil guy traits.
Usually necromancy is frowned upon at best and taboo at worst in most fiction, Witch is the reason only the evil and selfish tend to use it for the most part.
Haven't stopped me from being a goody two shoes necromancer who goes around asking the dead if they are ok with me useing his or her body for the greater good.
But i digress.

There are a few exceptions, like the necromancers from the diablo universe but most necromancers in pop culture are evil.
Wiz from konosuba is also supposedly a good lich if i dont remember wrong, but its the only one i can remember of the top of my head.
I say supposedly becouse she dont really look undead at all, but they call her a lich and she do have the magic for it so.....

Double-page supporter
@Goldenzeal @Kaarme

In some views, healing is a form of necromancy. Some seek to prevent death.
Also, Talking to the dead, including ancestors is a Necromancy. Basically any manga where the character is talking to some dead ancestor? Necromancy.

It's simply that the dead seems to upset people, even though we will all eventually join them.

Forensic scientists and anthropologists can possibly be considered such.

Then part of the undead view tends to be towards humans. Which is fun when there is a workaound by animating an animal instead, like a dinosaur or something.

There are good liches, called archliches around, but I don't think I know of one that also used necromancy in a good way.

Page 25 me: no recall or intervention can work in this place, there is no escape.

Users who are viewing this thread