Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken - Vol. 24 Ch. 106 - Formal Audiences

Dex-chan lover
Have to chime in on this one - are you aware of Gabe Newell's stance on piracy? If not, go check it out. It's a very succinct description of what's going on here.
And my policy is that if you have a easy way to read something via legitimate channels then you should use them to read it. People have a multitude of ways to continue reading this series so there’s zero reason for them to resort to piracy. There are free VPNs so the excuse that you can’t use the app invalid. There’s ereaders you can get via bluestacks so you can just buy the entire volume as well.

This whole discussion is a damn joke. Perhaps everyone here is a little too young or too new to the hobby to have a little perspective.

Why is anime and manga so popular overseas? Is it because all of these lovely Japanese companies did so much to bring this content to non-Japanese speakers? Is it because international companies invested tons of money to get the mediums socialized and into the mainstream consciousness of non-Japanese speakers?

Hah.

The only reason why companies like k manga can and do exist is because of the countless hours regular people invested into creating fansubs and manga scanlations. This work was done free of pay, and was an up-hill battle against the very same companies that have for some time now been cracking down on fansubs and scanlations.

Manga and anime is popular in North America and the rest of the world DESPITE the various Japanese IP holders mismanaging their overseas efforts for literal decades (and through to today). They're popular DESPITE official international distributors and partners doing the Hollywood equivalent of hiring random people off the street to be voice actors right up until the 2000s/2010s.

If not for fan efforts anime and manga would still be considered as either cartoons for children or weird fetish cartoons for creeps. Now what the popularity is all there, everyone and their grandmother wants to hop in to rake in the money, all the while continuing to treat the people who made this all happen as enemies.

And you know what, that's perfectly fine. Nobody ever got into scalation expecting these corporations to thank them. Yet, the issue was never just a lack of access. It was a lack of quality. Poor dubs, crappy edits, slow scans, poor translations, and much more. Yes, the biggest issue for many was a lack of access, but let's not pretend now that there are a handful of mediocre services that we all need to do our duty and throw money at them.

As it is today, these services are all worse than piracy. You've got people that continue to translate and sub shows for free entirely because the official services continue to suck.

The whole premise of anime and manga piracy is ridiculous to begin with. This market wouldn't exist without piracy. When we talk about these companies losing money to piracy what we're really talking about are magical unrealized profits that exist only on paper.

While I'm sure we all feel for the creators and want them to succeed, these aren't self published individuals. The onus is on their partners to bring their products to market, and their partners are the ones that will most heavily benefit from our support. Don't be a shill for corporations that want nothing more than to offer you as little as possible while charging as much as possible. This entire market was created by us, the fans. They don't need to thank us, but the very least they could do is provide a convenient and competitive service.

Like, you've got people in here saying people should use VPNs to access this content. Really? I think you've all got this relationship way mixed up, and this kind of attitude is exactly what leads to the myriad of anti-consumer bullshit we see across the world today.

Last edited:
This whole discussion is a damn joke. Perhaps everyone here is a little too young or too new to the hobby to have a little perspective.

Why is anime and manga so popular overseas? Is it because all of these lovely Japanese companies did so much to bring this content to non-Japanese speakers? Is it because international companies invested tons of money to get the mediums socialized and into the mainstream consciousness of non-Japanese speakers?

Hah.

The only reason why companies like k manga can and do exist is because of the countless hours regular people invested into creating fansubs and manga scanlations. This work was done free of pay, and was an up-hill battle against the very same companies that have for some time now been cracking down on fansubs and scanlations.

Manga and anime is popular in North America and the rest of the world DESPITE the various Japanese IP holders mismanaging their overseas efforts for literal decades (and through to today). They're popular DESPITE official international distributors and partners doing the Hollywood equivalent of hiring random people off the street to be voice actors right up until the 2000s/2010s.

If not for fan efforts anime and manga would still be considered as either cartoons for children or weird fetish cartoons for creeps. Now what the popularity is all there, everyone and their grandmother wants to hop in to rake in the money, all the while continuing to treat the people who made this all happen as enemies.

And you know what, that's perfectly fine. Nobody ever got into scalation expecting these corporations to thank them. Yet, the issue was never just a lack of access. It was a lack of quality. Poor dubs, crappy edits, slow scans, poor translations, and much more. Yes, the biggest issue for many was a lack of access, but let's not pretend now that there are a handful of mediocre services that we all need to do our duty and throw money at them.

As it is today, these services are all worse than piracy. You've got people that continue to translate and sub shows for free entirely because the official services continue to suck.

The whole premise of anime and manga piracy is ridiculous to begin with. This market wouldn't exist without piracy. When we talk about these companies losing money to piracy what we're really talking about are magical unrealized profits that exist only on paper.

While I'm sure we all feel for the creators and want them to succeed, these aren't self published individuals. The onus is on their partners to bring their products to market, and their partners are the ones that will most heavily benefit from our support. Don't be a shill for corporations that want nothing more than to offer you as little as possible while charging as much as possible. This entire market was created by us, the fans. They don't need to thank us, but the very least they could do is provide a convenient and competitive service.

Like, you've got people in here saying people should use VPNs to access this content. Really? I think you've all got this relationship way mixed up, and this kind of attitude is exactly what leads to the myriad of anti-consumer bullshit we see across the world today.
tbh, its like this in every industry. manga, anime, gaming, movies, cars, toys, computers. its why ive fully lost all faith in this capitalist system we have. imo its clear that capitalist systems inevitably get to this point, and they will continue to get worse untill its reformed into fudalism. we will be corporate peasants owning nothing and doing doing all the real work. while the bumbling silver spoon idiot elite makes dumb as shit decisions because meritocracy is a lie, and at the end they will run this world into a climate apocalypse. however, lets not forget, they want us to think the end of the world is more likely than the end of this current economic system. they want us hopeless and passive. we can and need to change it before it gets worse.

Dex-chan lover
And my policy is that if you have a easy way to read something via legitimate channels then you should use them to read it. People have a multitude of ways to continue reading this series so there’s zero reason for them to resort to piracy. There are free VPNs so the excuse that you can’t use the app invalid. There’s ereaders you can get via bluestacks so you can just buy the entire volume as well.
See, that quote there's the rub and shows me you clearly didn't bother to spend 30 seconds searching for what I said - "an easy way to read something via legitimate channels". It's not always easy, in particular in the second / third world where a lot of services haven't even started to expand to yet considering their relative lack of industrialization / technological spread.

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable." - Gabe Newell

What people value most when it comes to entertainment is convenience. If a legitimate method is difficult or unable to be accessed, people will turn to piracy - which is why manga reading sites like Mangadex are so popular. A lot of manga - and I have to stress this, A LOT OF MANGA - is Japan-only because it has insufficient popularity to justify the expense of officially translating it and distributing it overseas, or is otherwise believed to not be the type of thing "Westerners" / "foreigners" will like and it's better to not try and incur the costs of a failed attempt.

Please think things through. I'm a user of Bluestacks to play some mobile games on my PC, and I only did that because it was more convenient than messing with them on my phone - and I'm keeping on eye on that Google Play service that's bringing some things to my PC, because Bluestacks is sometimes a real pain in the ass to use.

And that's not even mentioning the quality problems and anti-consumer crap that the big corporations that are trying to cash in on this scene nowadays have been pulling for decades.

Dex-chan lover
See, that quote there's the rub and shows me you clearly didn't bother to spend 30 seconds searching for what I said - "an easy way to read something via legitimate channels". It's not always easy, in particular in the second / third world where a lot of services haven't even started to expand to yet considering their relative lack of industrialization / technological spread.

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable." - Gabe Newell

What people value most when it comes to entertainment is convenience. If a legitimate method is difficult or unable to be accessed, people will turn to piracy - which is why manga reading sites like Mangadex are so popular. A lot of manga - and I have to stress this, A LOT OF MANGA - is Japan-only because it has insufficient popularity to justify the expense of officially translating it and distributing it overseas, or is otherwise believed to not be the type of thing "Westerners" / "foreigners" will like and it's better to not try and incur the costs of a failed attempt.

Please think things through. I'm a user of Bluestacks to play some mobile games on my PC, and I only did that because it was more convenient than messing with them on my phone - and I'm keeping on eye on that Google Play service that's bringing some things to my PC, because Bluestacks is sometimes a real pain in the ass to use.

And that's not even mentioning the quality problems and anti-consumer crap that the big corporations that are trying to cash in on this scene nowadays have been pulling for decades.
I did look up the quote and found it to not be valid in this situation since there’s a multitude of ways one can read this series officially. VPNs, ereaders, buying it physically, etc… are ways you can continue reading the series so piracy is not the way to go in this instance. It would take one very minimal effort to do these things and yet you lot still resort to piracy which does nothing but hurt the author.

Do you know what would happen if everyone resorted to piracy to read Slime? The series would get axed and then there would be no more slime. It only exists because people buy the series and pay money to read it.

TDLR don’t blame others for your lack of effort to continue reading this via legitimate channels.

Dex-chan lover

Hah.

That’s a whole lot of word salad to make excuses for piracy.

The main crux on why your argument on fansubs and fan translations don’t work for slime is because Slime has an official version and it’s no longer the age where it’s difficult to gain access to series to read. Fan translations do work as an argument for series that don’t have official translations for them but Slime isn’t one of those types of series. There’s plenty of ways for one to read the official translation of Slime so piracy ain’t the answer. You can complain about people bringing up VPNs but it won’t change the fact that is a valid example of a way to read the series officially until the app expands to your country.

Let me give a comparison between the series Baby Steps (fun series) Vs Tensei Slime.

For Baby Steps your argument about fan translations would be valid as there’s no official English version of the series. For that series your bit about Japanese companies failing to bring the series to wider audiences would work as the only way to read it outside of said fan TLs is if you know Japanese already. Fan translation are fine for those types of works as now people can read the series and they can petition those companies to get their series translated. This would result in them making more money as they know there’s an audience for it and it lowers the risk of then losing money if they put it into other languages.

now let’s look at Slime. Slime already has an official translation so any fan translation will make it harder for Kondansha to make the money it expected to make since it saw how popular of a series it was. If they don’t bring in enough money to offset the cost in doing an official translation then they will stop translating it which will result in everyone getting screwed. The author won’t get money from it, the company will lose money on it, and fans will not be able to continue reading the series as there won’t be any more official releases. Sure there might be some fans of the series that might continue the series but what happens if that piracy extends to Japanese audiences and they stop buying the Tankōbons for the series? Then the series gets axed in Japan and now there will be no more slime to be read or translated by laypeople.

Saying that piracy doesn’t hurt is a foolish take to have and the only reason why we as consumers can read this series is because Kondansha continues to make it. If it becomes unprofitable for them they will drop it and the author will be f*cked over all because you lot couldn’t be bothered to take the minimal steps you would have to take to read the official version.

Dex-chan lover
I did look up the quote and found it to not be valid in this situation since there’s a multitude of ways one can read this series officially. VPNs, ereaders, buying it physically, etc… are ways you can continue reading the series so piracy is not the way to go in this instance. It would take one very minimal effort to do these things and yet you lot still resort to piracy which does nothing but hurt the author.

Do you know what would happen if everyone resorted to piracy to read Slime? The series would get axed and then there would be no more slime. It only exists because people buy the series and pay money to read it.

TDLR don’t blame others for your lack of effort to continue reading this via legitimate channels.
You are utterly ridiculous and refuse to accept the point that sometimes, legitimate channels just aren't available. Please take your lack of reading comprehension back to 3rd grade, where it belongs.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That’s a whole lot of word salad to make excuses for piracy.

The main crux on why your argument on fansubs and fan translations don’t work for slime is because Slime has an official version and it’s no longer the age where it’s difficult to gain access to series to read. Fan translations do work as an argument for series that don’t have official translations for them but Slime isn’t one of those types of series. There’s plenty of ways for one to read the official translation of Slime so piracy ain’t the answer. You can complain about people bringing up VPNs but it won’t change the fact that is a valid example of a way to read the series officially until the app expands to your country.

Let me give a comparison between the series Baby Steps (fun series) Vs Tensei Slime.

For Baby Steps your argument about fan translations would be valid as there’s no official English version of the series. For that series your bit about Japanese companies failing to bring the series to wider audiences would work as the only way to read it outside of said fan TLs is if you know Japanese already. Fan translation are fine for those types of works as now people can read the series and they can petition those companies to get their series translated. This would result in them making more money as they know there’s an audience for it and it lowers the risk of then losing money if they put it into other languages.

now let’s look at Slime. Slime already has an official translation so any fan translation will make it harder for Kondansha to make the money it expected to make since it saw how popular of a series it was. If they don’t bring in enough money to offset the cost in doing an official translation then they will stop translating it which will result in everyone getting screwed. The author won’t get money from it, the company will lose money on it, and fans will not be able to continue reading the series as there won’t be any more official releases. Sure there might be some fans of the series that might continue the series but what happens if that piracy extends to Japanese audiences and they stop buying the Tankōbons for the series? Then the series gets axed in Japan and now there will be no more slime to be read or translated by laypeople.

Saying that piracy doesn’t hurt is a foolish take to have and the only reason why we as consumers can read this series is because Kondansha continues to make it. If it becomes unprofitable for them they will drop it and the author will be f*cked over all because you lot couldn’t be bothered to take the minimal steps you would have to take to read the official version.
I have never seen someone be this ignorant of other people's life's and situations.

Wow... just wow...

Dex-chan lover
I have never seen someone be this ignorant of other people's life's and situations.

Wow... just wow...
Been a while since I’ve seen someone make excuses on why they can’t use the various methods I’ve given to continue reading the series legitimately. Stop blaming others for your own laziness.
You are utterly ridiculous and refuse to accept the point that sometimes, legitimate channels just aren't available. Please take your lack of reading comprehension back to 3rd grade, where it belongs.
I’ve given multiple routes one can go to continue reading this series via a legitimate way. Ain’t my fault if you aren’t smart enough to follow simple instructions and have to resort to piracy due to your laziness, ignorance or incompetence.

Let me make it simple for you. If you’re in this site that means you have access to the internet. If you have access to the internet you have access to Firefox. If you have access to Firefox then you have access to a free vpn which you can use to read the series via the new site Kondansha created to read their series. If you still can’t figure out how to read the series legitimately even after that simplified version of my instructions then you’re a lost cause intellectually

Btw you lot can bitch and give me as many strikes as you want but none of you have given a single dam argument on why you can’t use the multitude of ways I’ve stated before to read the series legitimately. It’s 2024 so stop making excuses for your laziness.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Been a while since I’ve seen someone make excuses on why they can’t use the various methods I’ve given to continue reading the series legitimately. Stop blaming others for your own laziness.

I’ve given multiple routes one can go to continue reading this series via a legitimate way. Ain’t my fault if you aren’t smart enough to follow simple instructions and have to resort to piracy due to your laziness, ignorance or incompetence.

Let me make it simple for you. If you’re in this site that means you have access to the internet. If you have access to the internet you have access to Firefox. If you have access to Firefox then you have access to a free vpn which you can use to read the series via the new site Kondansha created to read their series. If you still can’t figure out how to read the series legitimately even after that simplified version of my instructions then you’re a lost cause intellectually

Btw you lot can bitch and give me as many strikes as you want but none of you have given a single dam argument on why you can’t use the multitude of ways I’ve stated before to read the series legitimately. It’s 2024 so stop making excuses for your laziness.
I simply don't want to pay KManga or do it the legitimate way 💪👍

Their Quality is worse, both in translation and in Typesetting!

But pop off, keep staying on your high horse like you are winning this argument 💪

Btw, you got an instruction for the KManga mobile app as well? And it not being downloadable outside of the US via the Google PlayStore/Apple AppStore?

Whelp, considering how the official manga is further ahead.
Imma just buy the manga now, the TL here was last done lil over 10 months ago

Dex-chan lover

Once again ignoring the entire argument that it's convenience and accessibility that matters most to people. Downloading a new browser for a VPN to access one site is far beyond the majority's willingness.

"It's current year, so blah blah blah!" is one of the more ridiculous statements. A fallacious argument at best. I've yet to see you pose an argument that isn't someone going out of their way for something less convenient (which is, once again, one of THE impetuses for piracy). Now, as @itasian said, with this manga's TL dropping off on this site, others will find a more convenient method.

Or as @Mentu said, it can be a quality problem in regard to translation / localization as well.

Just wondering if there are any other scanlation teams that have already picked up this series?

Dex-chan lover
Holy shit Tensura went from being a good isekai manga into a good piracy debate :kek:

On a serious note, any news of continuing the scanlation? Since K-Manga pretty much fails.

Group Leader
Holy shit Tensura went from being a good isekai manga into a good piracy debate :kek:

On a serious note, any news of continuing the scanlation? Since K-Manga pretty much fails.
Not as long as Kmanga exists, the translation over there isn't too terrible and there's really no point trying to compete with them, be it for legal or release speed reasons

Users who are viewing this thread