That Wolf-Boy Is Mine!

Contributor
I want Senri
to get his own happy ending too :'( Can't believe the author just dropped that heavy af story at the end there after things wrapped up so nicely for the young'uns. Spinoff please!!!

If you take away the Japanese names and locations the description sounds oddly like the beginning for twilight... which would be nice since there's not a lot of good manga with vampires in them.

This story was really cute. Unfortunately it feels a bit like it got axed by the publisher, so the story is wrapped up pretty quickly. But it's definitely worth a read and the art style is really cute. ?

man i haven't read it yet but ookami just reminds me of sekiro

Overall, pretty shallow. The character relationships weren’t fleshed out properly and the characters themselves lacked a bit of substance—and that’s an actual shame, because they definitely had the potential to go beyond the cardboard cut-outs of a typical reverse harem (which, by the way, this is not). As a result, I couldn’t sympathise with any of them. I feel like the mangaka was trying to avoid melodrama but consequently didn’t dive deep enough into the emotional or psychological state of her characters (which I just don’t understand—if you put in such dramatic elements in the story, you have to explore their impact so that readers will find the characters’ successes and failures more endearing, and I’ll be darned if you can’t do that without being melodramatic. Even if you have to be a bit dramatic, you can execute it perfectly well if you keep it in moderation).

As for the romance…it wasn’t rushed, which is good, but the developments would be predictable, or at least unsurprising, for anyone who reads a lot of shoujo. While I knew the reasons for the male lead’s wishy-washy attitude, it made me feel more frustrated than sympathetic—and again, it’s even worse because the mangaka did not actually give depth to the trauma that made these reasons exist. And the love triangle…this is where the character dynamics really needed to be emphasised, but were not. The bromance that should have been there between the male leads was not pronounced/portrayed well enough
to make us believe why the second lead would step down.
It’s really up to the individual if they find the romance sweet or not. For me, personally, it’s kind of bitter and kind of sweet, but that’s as far as it went—“kind of”. It just didn’t make me go “awwww” or “YESSSS!” when the main couple overcame the obstacles in their relationship and finally got together.

Now, I said I didn’t sympathise with anyone, but there was just that one character: Senri. Honestly, he was the one of the few who was fairly interesting
and that’s only because of the tragic side story the mangaka tacked on at the end. That is very irritating to me—the mangaka barely gave him the time of day during the main story and when she finally had the chance to do justice to at least one of the characters, she then gives his story no actual resolution.
Yata-sensei might have been the most intriguing character had the mangaka not chosen to just completely shroud him in mystery to the very end. Seriously—you can still retain a character’s enigmatic aura even with some backstory. It doesn’t help that the reader only has access to the protagonist’s thoughts for the majority of the manga. That’s not enough for a story like this, with a cast of characters that are (supposed to be) complex.

I do have a feeling this manga was either meant to be short from the beginning or just axed by the publisher. There is little else to justify the shallow exploration of such a nice premise (and even that’s not enough). The only thing I can really commend is the art—it beautifully evokes a mystical/magical/mysterious sense of the supernatural without being too overpowering.

TL;DR: For a lot of people, this will be a (bitter)sweet read. If you don’t want something too deep or you like some pretty art, I’d say go for it. Otherwise—as is ever so common in the shoujo genre—this is an unfortunate bit of wasted potential, both in regards to the story and the characters.

Also, this is my first comment ever on this site, so hello! 🤗

this manga is really nice... However, it really isn't as sad for me.
It's really shallow, just like what the comment said from @Cattish down below. Still a great read though.

**Read his/her (@Cattish) comment, it's a great review...

Users who are viewing this thread