The Ancient Magus' Bride - Vol. 10 Ch. 49 - Birds of a feather flock together. IV

A pilum isn't exactly a spear though, more like a javelin that was common among roman legions. To my knowledge it was mostly used as a way to break shield formations, as it was weighted with longer thin head to puncture into shields and make them unwieldy. Not that any of this is necessarily relevant to the nickname, but it could be. Something about him breaking metaphorical shields, for example

Also, p12 with Elias being comforted is an underrated panel. 10/10 would recommend

Dex-chan lover
The more I follow this manga the more I realise, to my dismay, that I still can't tell the boys apart from the girls. It's getting pretty annoying with all the new characters-with-outlandish-names we keep getting introduced.

Also, Pilum Murialis might be in Latin but I suspect we're going to get the old Japanese adage about the undefeatable spear and the Invincible shield.

Supporter
To everyone wondering about hte pilum thing, it's not a spear or a javelin or a wepon altogether. the direct translation is thorn or stake. The weapon got the name of that.

Draw two characters, give them breasts, dress them in the girl uniform, give them girl names, call them boys. Right...

Dex-chan lover
@Fruitfish
it looks like author feels like killing some characters but not the main ones, we will see.

Dex-chan lover
@HermesPasser Thanks! I got that though. Just wondering if we might've heard of that specific alias before (probably in one story or another of some kind of fatal mistake he made?)

Group Leader
He was earlier refered to as Pilum Murialis, Magus of Thorns, Thorns of shadow.
Weve seen him hide in shadows and weve also seen multiple times when he cast magic that a wall of thorns forms around him.
Guess we'll find out the origin of it, who knows

Contributor
Bless my queer little heart, I love Zoey so much! Something bad is definitely going to happen to him.

Dex-chan lover
Beatrice just wants you to model nude for her, Elias. Dat bone structure.

Dex-chan lover
"Mad" used instead of "angry" is such an Americanism. How unpleasant. And I find myself wondering if all the name / form gender-bending is deliberate or a misunderstanding. All the gendered pronouns are being picked by the translator, right?

I hope we see more of Beatrice in any case. Not enough meaty cuties in manga series.

Dex-chan lover
Pilum Murialis is an odd nickname. Something like wall spear . . . what do walls and spears have to do with each other? Is he the spear that breaks walls? Is he the wall of spears? Does that make his name Legion?
I think spear there refers to the thorns, since he's very heavily associated with thorns

Dex-chan lover
Seeing Elias and freaking out? Fair. But seeing Chise, and all of the bad shit tied to her? He's got some sort of gift

Users who are viewing this thread