The Archmage's Daughter - Ch. 9

Is the new guy shady, well do walk around your own house in a hoody cloak, in the dark unseen until presented. No just me guess I’m shady too

@icarushector a common psychological behavior is going in before going out. at least i feel like that is a common occurrence. like even the ones like her after being exposed to enough triggers will then explode into someone even more broken (or kill themselves when they give up every hope :( ). her response is quite light to the amount of torture she went through considering her age and lack of understanding about her surrounding. she hasn't totally closed herself from everyone yet or become extremely rebel. for that she appears like a very strong character in my eyes. not forgetting one self and to keep seeking connections isn't an easy thing to do.
my words were a bit off, when i said traumatized it was more in a crazy manner. like not wanting to deal with people at all, hating everything and wanting to kill and have revenge. someone with only dark thoughts, 'totally broken'. something more extreme.
and about the dad, yeah, he doesn't seem to have ill intentions towards her. but i am more interested in what was holding him back (and the beast people, is this house actually a prison or something?) and not that he 'visited her' (that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things). his visit means very little, such it seemed to not make her life that much better after all. so i didn't find this conversation sweet and more like very depressing. as he could only visit her in the shadows for some reason, hiding his existence and of the people that seem to care about her (and her mother), while she wasn't even eating well. considering what we heard so far, she could actually have died there and i wouldn't be surprise. the bullying went that far and no one was taking care of her either. if she wasn't smart, patient and willing to go further trying to connect to people... she would be probably dead because she fell some stair/pushed around hitting her head or starved, per example.
and now this guy. he healed her and didn't treat the poison. to me it feels like he has ill intention. like the healing only serves to hide why she passed out (the cut is gone). adding that to the fact, the naive boy don't like this guy... it feels like the boy instincts telling him to be careful. so if he hides the reason she passed out or use its for some reason, we should expect him to care very little for the girl. like all humans so far. but if that is what it is or not depend or what happens next, but still, his incompetence seems to be planned. would someone like him really only heal her and let her leave without checking further? it is shady. he should take her to a room and call everyone else so to check if her body is okay. it is indeed poison in the end and she is a little girl (very young. fragile). her passing out is proof the situation is more dangerous than "cut be gone, you are okay now".
i hope the dad change his pace and tell her the truth too, he needs to do more, way more. she needs to know why she suffered for so long and why can she trust those people now. wait and see tho.

Dex-chan lover
spoilers for next few chapters if anyone interested
maybelle got poisoned when she touched the leaf/flower/plant in the desk and is in a bad condition, the father ask why the poison is afflicting her when it should be stopped by the magic immunity, but the butler say that there was never magic immunity in her to begin with (magic immunity probably have a different name tho, but thats how i read it), she never learned it or was unable to since is one of the basics in magic, maybelle have a nightmare with her getting hit and the father heard her sleep talking and crying, he snap and decide to go attack the mansion, maybelle heard and get up from bed and ask the butler to get her there, they arrive and the attack was already on, it get explained why the father was unable to get into the mansion, the family set a barrier and magic measures in case the father try to get in and attack, which drain his vitality and break him (reason why he said that she had to be the one to go after him), the thing they set up don't seem to affect him that much, but it still hurt him (is like some sort of chains that multiply whenever he use magic), he is too op, he mention something about the emperor pledge (?) and how he is glad to not have it (probably talking about this hand), alot of talk happen like the father wanting answers from the aunt, but she don't say anything, and maybelle stop the father from hurting himself more and them and tell his father that they should go back to the mansion (it seems that maybelle activate her magic there, a bunch of flowers appear when she walk, but not really sure if is because of her), next chapters after that seems to be new arc, this is what checked from the raws and a resume from a friend
just read if you really want to

Fed-Kun's army
@tseng
omg thats wild but i also cant wait for that to happen??? do you know how many chapters these events will be taking place for?

also, that explains why he couldnt visit smh i hate that family sm

Dex-chan lover
@eminyan
that happen in chapter 10, 11 and 12, raws are up to 15, it take around a week for raw chapters to be released for free, but you can get them early if you pay or make a new kakao acc (which give you enough credits to get 2 chapters) but you need the app to validate it

So, is it fine to say that Rykell is so far better than pre development Claude or at least compared to their earlier chapter selves? If people could read @tseng 's spoilers (thanks for the spoilers btw. This chapter showed that he often times was nearby but was not close enough to observe/interact with her (okay-ish explanation. I can accept this. But if he truly is OP, and we can see how doting he is to the point that once the spoiler happens later, why couldn't he have done it sooner? Will the damage be permanent or something or was he worried his daughter would see him as a monster). Still, I'm surprised he wasn't suspicious enough those b*stards prevented him from seeing his daughter and STILL took his money.

So, only questions I have left so far is
1. Her lack of magical ability (but judging from spoilers it has already activated
once she turned 10
and all that's left is her trigger
2. Reason why he was mad when his wife/lover/her mother was included in the conversation during his introductory chapter
3. His job as an archmage
4. the brown patch on his hand

Dex-chan lover
@ShadowWalker: What are you talking about? Where did she refuse to follow her father? She simply hesitated to take his hand when he offered to help her get up from the coach, then hurriedly got up on her own in what obviously appears to be barely contained fear of making herself seem like a burden (my guess is that her former caretakers and their servants constantly punished/yelled at her for not getting up quickly enough from her seat on her own, or even from having fallen on the ground).

@tseng wow, thanks for the spoiler! Too bad Maybelle stopped them from getting killed. Welp, if they can’t be killed I’m hoping the society there kills them mentally. Hoping that the “genius” son will become trash if he can’t even treat our MC right, now that we’ve seen a portion of his personality in ch.1 tho I guess it’s all due to the female dog of a mother he has and a greedy dad. So hopefully, their great family name will be tarnished and karma gets them back

Dex-chan lover
@moonlight00 bigger answer than I expected, but I am in agreement and also very damn curious about how current events came to be. And yeah, the disciple is shady as hell. Not least because he was referred to as a "successor" rather than a student. If the prison idea has any weight to it, it could mean he's more like a deputy warden. The daughter, who is absolutely resilient as a frikin water bear, could throw a kink in that.

@icarushector great point about the successor thing! i missed that it sounded shady too since he as a first disciple may succeed too if she stays unable to use magic (or died). like the mother died, the child was kidnapped by his brother and then an outsider is given so much importance. my worry is that the butler was involved with this guy, sending her for him to be checked, because that timing was too good, but maybe this is me second guessing everything.

Dex-chan lover
@moonlight00 Hard to say. This story has thrown a lot of "odd" things at us that don't really add up. So either we should ABSOLUTELY be second-guessing everything until proven innocent, or we should be miffed that we're thinking more about the plot than the author was.

@Arcanafantasyisout as the spoilers show, it appears that my own thoughts were correct---
her lack of magical power caused what would normally be a nominal/noneffective poison to become a major problem.

@Aradriana---her cousin clearly is a product of upbringing. I've seen this for myself when I was a little kid. If implemented young enough---like with a little girl I once knew who lived with us who was a terror because her parents spoiled her---a change in behavior can reorient what would otherwise be an out of control child. Once the kid reaches an age old enough to where they won't change, well, that's a problem. If this archmage is as powerful as he appears, why not simply change their minds by either enabling them to grow/learn, or raising their EQ by magic? Seems like a far improved outcome
than killing them
. =P Doing so would then cause them to suffer from their own actions, which itself could well be construed as a far graver punishment than
death.
Making them realize the errors of their ways---that's by far the more extreme punishment.

@moonlight00, Trauma would be the correct term. She displays symptoms of PTSD, possibly C-PTSD which include flashbacks to past trauma and displaced emotions caused by ongoing fear.
When she has a flashback nightmare and is talking in her sleep about being hit/abused by her caregivers, that's an example of a PTSD/C-PTSD flashback/nightmare. Hence, dear old dad's, "Please, excuse me while I go murder my daughter's abusers. Her reaction and his are pretty typical. I saw it in my own family with my own abuse. Dad tries to kill the abusers and the kid, me, attempts to prevent the murder. =P

Thanks to @tseng for the spoilers! :3

The seal on the dad's hand may be a limiter that reduces the Dad's magic to prevent him from accidentally going Godzilla. His wife or someone else may have put the spell on him, or he himself may have put it on him, or it could be by order of the royal family, and thus to only be unleashed when war breaks out.
Maybelle's caretakers' bordering up their house may have been in efforts to protect their source of income. It could well have been put forward by the uncle to keep his income secured, or be instituted by Maybelle's aunt for unstated reasons. The magic may have also been instituted because they were afraid of Rykell in general and even though they took charge (perhaps, Rykell didn't want to raise her in a family without a mother? or because he views himself as some kind of magical monster, or any number of other reasons) he may not have wanted to scare her---another possibility might be that once they took charge & took the money that was meant for the daughter, the relatives put up the barriers to protect themselves against blowback and to preserve their income. He wouldn't necessarily want to scare his daughter, and if he came blasting his way in, he wouldn't come across in the best of light to her. However, if she came looking for him, it might have weakened or broken the seals on the house, or it may have simply been that he wouldn't come across as a villain. He may also not have had enough reason to do it. She's his daughter and traumatizing her wouldn't have likely been on a list of priorities for him. However, if his daughter had been tortured by her caregivers and she was now safely in his home, powerless because of the terrible "education" and "training" given by his sister-in-law, Rykell may well not have had any further reason to blow their doors down and end them, because he simply wasn't in a position of needing to fear an attack. In other words, his reasons for doing it outweighed his reasons for not doing it (by "doing it" I mean breaking the barriers). It may also have been an agreement by the aunt to prevent "distractions"---most likely, her claiming that the Dad shouldn't get involved in his daughter's life because it would harm her. This is a classical trope used by controlling, manipulative people who seek to use someone---like taking a rich, single father's money and then abusing the daughter. I've seen the trope far too often in literature and cinema.

Looking forward to the next chapters! :3

Fed-Kun's army
MarqFJA87, was wasn't sure if she really wanted to go with him with the doubt in her heart. The MC was not even sure if she could call him father at this time...

Fed-Kun's army
IS THIS GUY SHADY?? HE'S SHADY ISN'T HE??? SHE SHOULD BE OKAY WHY DID SHE FAINT ADSFLJKADFSJLK if he did do something he has some guts though, is he not aware his master could murder him??? aaaa PLS BE OKAY SWEET BEAN her dad is overprotective he's cute lol

thank you so much for the update~

Guys, I think we are getting a reasonable explanation for why he “abandoned” her! I have been praying it wasn’t “you remind me of your mother.”

Users who are viewing this thread