The Betrayed Hero Who Was Reincarnated as the Strongest Demon Lord - Vol. 1 Ch. 2

I do believe champions would be a better word instead of heroes. In the context of the story it would make more sense to me. And thanks for the translation! All of you are doing great work!

I feel like old Maou is going to come back somehow at some point, because waifu and something to do with the magic fuckery. Totally fine with it not happening, but it feels like how one of these stories would go.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, yes, demon ain't that bad, yada yada. Get on with it. Make it interesting.

Fed-Kun's army
This is pretty embarrassing. Wouldn't it be a lot stronger message to be sending back their corpses, than them being alive/tied up?

It's clear that a murdering psycho like that will just come back with reinforcements when the next invasion happens.

This guy should've already seen that soft talks and reasoning won't work with humans like that.

Also, yeah I also think that this can't be "seinen" (as commented before me). That must be a mistake. This is a clear shonen series.

Dex-chan lover
@Titanfan548
@frank063
It's mainly a problem in translation that you can't find the appropriate way to translate it all the time since the meaning can varies a lot depending on context.

At its most literal, yuusha (勇者) used here just means a brave one (lit brave + one person)

But culturally, it's a pretty standard JRPG fare that THE yuusha is the only one to defeat THE maou (魔王, though if we're going for potential puns there's the magic king used in that grandson manga)
In fact in some series it's not merely a title, but that you literally gain special bonus for being those two (Spider and Slime series for example)

I believe since one of, if not THE most, famous origin of this usage, Dragon Quest, use Hero and Demon Lord as the chosen translation, that became the default option.

@Joonhas i think the author just wants to hammer in the fact that the demon king doesn't want to kill humans unless he has to.

Dex-chan lover
@Titanfan548
@frank063

This is a mistake that exists since forever in the history of translation from the past until now but no translator has ever bothered to fix it.
I learn it in my Japanese class. The most correct translation of those words are:

英雄 (Eiyuu): a Western Hero. The true definition of a hero.
You can play Falcom, Eiyuu Densetsu ...no Kiseki (English name: Legend of the hero trails of...) series to know about the true Hero.

勇者(Yuusha): Man of valor. Just a man with courage. Anyone can be one.

If I ever translate these kinds of series, I will make sure to translate with the correct word "Man of Valor".
Reading it as Hero ruining my mood.

You know what? I'm actually fine with this guy sparing the humans. The whole reason he joined this fight was to protect people. Now that he learned that demons are also people, he wants to protect them too.

It's stupid, but also perfectly in-character for him. His reaction to getting betrayed by his student seemed more surprised than angry, though he still hasn't really had a reaction yet. Naive and idealistic perfectly describe him. I fully expect this to end badly for him and everyone he wants to protect.

What I do have a problem with is that he doesn't have any remorse at all for all the demons he had to have killed on the way to the Demon King. Demons that he's just learned were only trying to protect their home. The home that he invaded.

@welcome2atlantis
I guess since the demon world is apparently a separate world from the human's, it could technically be called "isekai" (異 - i - different | 世界 - sekai - world) if you squint.

This completely ignores the fact that the basic premise of every isekai involves someone from Earth or an Earth-like world traveling to some fantasy-esque world.

@Loli_Omamoritai
Honestly, "Man of Valor" is just too awkward even if it's more accurate. A good suggestion in this thread was "Champion" which sounds better.

The problem with translation is that there're times you need to interpret or adapt things to make it easier for the readers to understand while still remaining accurate to the source.

"Hero" is a perfectly acceptable interpretation of "Yuusha" a lot of cases. Using the Dragon
Quest example someone else mentioned, the yuusha is a brave person who saves the world from the evil demon king. Calling him a hero is fine.

Where it falls apart is in cases like this story when there's apparently a whole army yuusha. The word "Hero" represents an ideal of strength, courage, and virtue. The antagonists so far haven't shown any of those idealized qualities. Even if they did, having so many diminishes the meaning of the word. If everyone is special, no one is special.

It's not that no one bothered to fix the mistake. The mistake just never needed fixing before.

You're free to disagree with me. It'd be hypocritical of me to tell you how to feel when I need to hold myself back from hitting something whenever I see kendo referred to as fencing.

Dex-chan lover
Hmm, I get what all of you are saying about the "hero" title. It is still early in the story, so changing what we call the general current antagonists of the story is still possible.
While Champion also wouldn't fit (as it implies they are the top person and you can't have everyone be the top person for the same reason everyone can't be a hero), perhaps calling them something like "the braves" could be better?

As the proofreader for this series, I am open to suggestions.

Dex-chan lover
Followed this because of that sign on the defeated hero. 😆
Thought this would be rather heavy from the title, but it turned out pretty light. Wished the chapter had more cutified demonic beings besides grandpa slime. Surprising he hasn't met any other high level demons in the castle.

Dex-chan lover
@xboxbam "Brave" is like the best option, it's pretty much the short version of Man of Valor/Courage and it sounds better than Champion ('cause that sounds more like an evolved version of a Knight)

also already had a series that used Yuusha as Braves (Rokka no Yuusha)

Dex-chan lover
Doesn't want to kill because he's a former hero? Well, the other heroes certainly don't seem to hold such compunctions...

Users who are viewing this thread