The City of Imprisoned Love - Vol. 4 Ch. 33 - “Behind the Eye”

@yamusing that's probably what Inaba says by "humanity found a new path to follow" in which their lives are better with machines taking care of everything, with no wars or environmental destruction as machines would be more logical and they probably more effective at scientific research and engineering as well to keep improving over time.

But the old guy clearly wishes for a world where humans aren't just spectators of the great things that the machines will do in the future, he wants them to make their own future even if they keep failing. Endgame for him is either the machines giving humanity some space to make errors (possibly why Makoto control hounds, he wants humanity in control), or making the machines and humanity equals, or maybe become one, which is why Makoto is inserting chips in himself (he is making himself more of a machine, even Yukiko says he is becoming someone else) in an attempt to make someone as capable as a machine but with the core motivation of a human (love).

Fed-Kun's army
@Tsudow I haven’t read in quite a while so my memory is still fuzzy, did Yukiko ever get over her thing with Ai? Even though it has seemed like she likes the guy, last I remember she seemed pretty serious, but my memory is seriously terrible :/

Group Leader
@Wreavant Don't think she's gotten over Ai but she doesn't hate the mc,

She doesn't see him as a romantic interest, yet.

Code:
America and China, they were the strongest

*Russia angry noises*

So A.I. discovers emotions, knows how they can digitize those emotions, and controls humans by creating devices that traps humans in a world where they can fulfill their desires eternally, just like the matrix.

The old guy, one of the last humans who are not being controlled, wanted humans to break free from those desires. Doing that is not as easy as just unplugging the cord from humans' brains, after all. Because the humans must first break free from their own desires, otherwise they'd just escape back to those devices eventually.

The old guy then hacks into several peoples' devices. He prevents them from getting their desires fulfilled, so that they work and fight their way out to the exit. Makoto was one of those people. One by one, the test subjects fail somehow. We see that the ones that remain (still willing to escape) are people from America, China, and Makoto.

The old guy keeps an eye (no pun intended) on the remaining test subjects' worlds. He needs to constantly prevent them from getting their desires fulfilled, so in Makoto's case, he just kills Ai whenever Makoto confesses, because it's quite apparent that Makoto's desire is being in a relationship with Ai.

The A.I.s, however, knows about the old guy's plan, or at least that someone is attempting to leave their desired world, when Makoto kills the detective. So in the last several chapters, they tried to prevent Makoto from escaping by showing him a glimpse of what they (the A.I.s) think the real world is, a world where you need to fight to survive. A harsh, cruel, and flawed world.

It's up to Makoto now to stand up and man up. Humans are more than just pleasure-seeking animals. Show them that humans have what it takes to rise above total subjectivity.

Users who are viewing this thread