The Dangers in My Heart - Vol. 4 Ch. 48 - We Walked Slowly

@Jmann

I've worked as an ALT in Japan for three years and I know what you mean, but trust me, it depends on the language proficiency and classroom activities of the japanese teachers how well students learn the pronunciation. Some students aren't bad after mandatory school considering they had to learn an indogermanic language which has almost nothing in common with Japanese. But besides that, "Merry Christmas" is totally fine. It's not the job of a translator to highlight some weird japanese accent if it's not the case in the original itself, but if you start to write loanwords down as we non-japanese hear it, then it must be done through and through in my opinion, which would be awful to read for anyone who's not familiar with the sound of the language.

Oh man, this. This is just the right kind of wholesome. Fuck I love this manga

Dex-chan lover
This manga always gets my heart so warm and then immediately undo it with the extra illustrations

Dex-chan lover
Maybe she's not a god, but I could be convinced he thinks her body is divine XD

Contributor
IySDHeX.png

OK, I will point this out specifically: consciously holding hands is the line. It's actually kind of crazy what happened here, it reminds me so much of real life late teen-young adult romance, it's almost uncanny, in a good way. You don't get this in manga. Sasuga, Sakurai-sensei.

I mean, I probably have told so many times already, but there's something about this work that's simply dazzling. It's something very fine, almost transparent blue. Maybe it's just me, but the relationship (aside from the completely unnatural and misplaced random sexualization of Yamada, and trust me, I'm all OK with her age) seems really natural in IRL way.

This is how it happens in the real life, and—surprise!—in Japan too: you do things instead of saying things. You're always playing it safe while trotting deep in the danger zone, as if holding the rope to get you back to a safe distance. For example, you don't take people for "dates." Gosh, that's so bookish.

You "go hang out." It's just the two of you. You don't explicitly point out this part, but both of you get it.

Your "hanging out" is going to the local park, shopping mall, cafe or a cinema. You don't specifically discuss it, not in a conscious way. You always pretend like everything is random.
At some point you take another's hand. You check. You always do. No words, only careful body language, only scrupulous analysis of one's face behind an innocent smile. Always careful, always making sure you have as much possible escape opportunity as you can. With experience, you can even go as far as sleeping with people while still retaining escape routes if you ever feel like things went south.

"What do you mean? We just had sex, we didn't mean it in that way, come on!"

Always afraid. Always acting like you're a sapper on a mine field. And the more you want something, the more cautious you're about it, as if taking care not to scare a wild bird.

That's how IRL relationships are. The thought of traditional "confessing" is borderline ridiculous for an adult person. If anything, it usually comes after sex—the only thing that actually really means that you're in a genuine relationship. I would specifically underscore this: sex is the beginning of relationship. Before this, it's all flirting, playing. Heck, even after this it all can so easily disappear.

Anyway, weebs, sorry for this arbitrary attempt at lyricism, what I basically mean is that the author is, probably, a keen woman that had some real mature relationships in her life.
Romance manga—that is not a gross unrealistic yaoi or even shounen ai—is usually written by somewhat young adult males that have little actual IRL romantic experience and not much interest in its psychology. They, indeed, create beautiful stories that a lot of different people find very satisfying, but they are just that: fantasies.
On the other hand, sometimes people that have both the real life experience and at least some basic understanding of psychology (women in most cases treat love affairs much more serious than men, hence my pointing out that the author is a woman) make romance works. In isn't that rare in traditional literature like novel writing, but in manga, it is quite-quite rare.

That's actually the thing about this manga. It's as simple as that: someone took a mature relationship progress and staged it with teens as actors. That's what's captivating about it: we, as adult readers, can't help but unconsciously think about how our lives could've been if we had a 'mature' relationship back then. Of course, we couldn't have: after all, we really were just stupid kids. But, as they say, a man can dream.

And who would be the best to create a man's dream, if not a smart adult woman. Cheers, and thanks for the read.

HvzEo3F.jpg

Sakurai Norio-sensei^

Double-page supporter
@N0Mi0 what an eloquent and thoughtful post, thanks for taking the time to write it out

Dex-chan lover
@N0MI0 That was beautiful.
Also as you offhandedly mentioned it is so frustrating to find decent shounen ai that doesn't come off as... Uncomfortable?

Dex-chan lover
He's mentioned it before but HE FINALLY ADMITTED IT! I'm sure anyone who has read this far knows what I mean. The thaw has finally begun.

Dex-chan lover
His face when she peeks out from behind the pole near the end is adorable, sort of like a look of relief and happiness that she was indeed still there. Also that sweet hand-holding and the way he conveys his feelings even through his "edginess" just for her absolutely slays my heart <3

@N0Mi0 you explained it perfectly, especially my feeling about this manga and this chapter too. It genuinely feels realistic. It's not some slow build to one grand gesture of confession and then it ends, it's that tease, and slow play of testing the waters and seeing if they are also interested. When you're young and dealing with romance, you don't speak much, often because you don't know what to say or trip over your words, you just do, and get little moments like this were you're really nervous, off an adrenaline high, but enjoying this little time where you're holding their hand or you're resting your head on their shoulder. It just feels so real, and really makes me reminisce about being dating when I was young and all those little emotions that you forget you experience in the moment. I think the mangaka has something special here.

Nice analysis

Users who are viewing this thread