The Dictator

Yeah, very arabic looking sultan with his blond hair, his blue eyes and his really pale skin.

Whoa, there's a lot going on in that description! I'm so confused, the blond guy is the Arabic sultan? Okay then... lol

As for the first chapter, it seems interesting!! I'll be reading this!

@Marabout Author should have just made him a European. God forbid a manhwa features a male lead with tanned or dark skin. 😕

Double-page supporter
Oman? What
Im sorry but who's this blue eyed blonde omani brother that lives here? I legitimately have never met anybody with blonde or blue eyes in oman.
Why the fuck can't korean authors make a handsome dark skinned man as a prince? Ton of middle easterns look hot af , it doesn't have to be blonde blue eyes every time..

@Pink95 A shame, really. I bet he's arabic in name only so the author can force some good old 19th century orientalism down his/her readers throats.

HOLY SHIT THANK YOU FOR THE OTHER COMMENTS 🤧

I swear I was really 👁👄👁 when I realized it was supposed to be a middle eastern setting... but the protagonists are... light skinned?? as if we don’t already have enough white washing 😬

almost everyone but the protagonists have a medium skin tone - dark skin tone??? lots of problems and symbolism to poke at here.

tbh imma just yodel “coward” at the author rn lmao.

will probably dropping this here. but i love a little sunshine scans tho!! yall always releasing quality translations quickly.

Did no one read the story? The reason people are after him is because
he's half French. His family doesn't like him for his looks/birth and are trying to get rid of him.
Funny that people are dropping this story because of his looks....

@Darkmint13 Yeah, sure.
Either the sultan knowingly married his wife knowing she was already pregnant and decided to make her child his heir, or his wife cheated on him. Otherwise, there's no way a child of such union can be a really really white, blue eyed, blond haired european.
Besides, it's not breaking news that koreans are pretty racist towards darker skinned people. So the issue is more that the protags are going to be the white good guys while the actual arab-looking people are going to be evil antagonists or supporting characters.

@Marabout that's not how genetics work. Their baby isn't automatically going to be a medium shade between them or something. There are cases where a baby is darker or lighter than either parent.

I just meant that not everyone in a country will look the same and saying someone doesn't "look" like they're from a country is just silly.

I have no idea about the Korean thing so I can't comment on it at this moment. I'll look into it on my own and make my own judgement.

Lol, I was confused at first as to how the blond guy is the arabic sultan but it was later revealed how. That being said, I think the stoy is fresh and I am liking the FL's character. Just need to overlook how the artist designed the characters(skin tone and such). I think this story has much potential given it will just not go down the drain in later chapters.
I rarely read non-isekai stories but this one so far is interesting.
Anw, thanks for picking this up! Looking forward to future chapters. Hwaiting!

As someone who has lived in Oman...there are no blue eyed, blond haired prince's there. The author should have atleast made him look a teeny bit ARAB instead or just making him look fully french...i mean HE IS HALF-ARAB.

forgive me this is very long but i’m a writer and started 30 minutes ago and it’s too late to half ass this now.

@Darkmint13

Admittedly, not “looking” like they’re from a country/culture isn’t right to say as well. That’s invalidating a whole slew of people that may have identity issues similar to those who are biracial and that’s definitely a fault of mine. Again, apologies for that.

However, I do think I can address a few things in your argument and present my argument more as well.

First of all, the protagonists are notably lighter skinned than the other characters. This is actually a historical political device that was used to reinforce colorism in Asia—where white people (the Spaniards at the time) would use dramas/plays to push their agenda. They (white people) would play the main cast (note: these were usually religious plays so they would have roles as holy men, gods, etc.) and would recruit natives to play as the supporting cast. Gods, important beings = white, light skinned. Extras = dark skinned folk, natives. This reinforced the notion of light skinned superiority.

Apply that in this sort of scenario. Most asian countries have complexes with color due to varying aspects such as race (lmao lets not start with how filipinos, thailanders, etc. get discriminated by eastern asians and how filipinos also have colonial mentality because of reasons like the paragraph above this one) and class (poor -> farmer -> out in sun working -> has dark skin, rich -> can stay inside -> light skinned).

That’s why there’s so much discontent with a protagonist that’s blonde haired and blue eyed in a setting that for all intents and purposes could have a dark skinned protagonist that would easily fit the setting of the story.

If you’d like to look at examples of how there is a real and valid issue here: take a look at the content here on MangaDex. A majority of stories, especially if you go under the romance tag like I do, are set in either the origin country (where colorism is definitely alive— Japan, Korea, China, etc.) or in a European setting. It’s very rare to find a story with dark skinned protagonists. Again, this setting for a story easily gives you the room to create dark skinned protagonists. That is where the discontent comes from.

The whole “funny how people are dropping this story because of his looks” is kinda 👁👄👁 for me. It’s not just him. It’s again, the fact that we can sense the ugly underbelly of colorism from here.

As @Marabout says, it’s pretty sus because it’s a Korean story. There is undoubtedly colorism there. If you’d like an example, I recommend putting some research into K-beauty and how many shades of foundation brands usually come up with.

@marldita That is a well thought out and well written comment.
my main issue was that the reason he's being targeted is because of his parentage(his looks). The ML has a right to his title and his father has the right to choose who he wants as a partner. And the FL is Korean, not from oman. Not to say the argument couldn't still apply to this but in this case since his looks are actually part of the story, it seemed silly to drop it based on the characters looks.
Thank you again though for that well thought out and civil reply.

😂😂😂😂😂😂 who told this auther that we in arabic countries drink !? Wtf and also we don’t have that much of women omg After we finished with the sheik sama they bring a new story 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Yuh but we In arabic countries don’t have like this who will take a woman from Europe ? 😂😂😂😂 the women in their country finished to take a look on anther place ?

Double-page supporter
It would be better if it was some fantasy country instead of the real one. At least it would feel least awkward for anyone who have knowledge about said country or the like.

Users who are viewing this thread