The Flower That Was Bloomed by a Cloud

I'm quite... unhappy with the way this series is going right now. I went in expecting character development-focused plot with romance side plot, but its actually seems more romamce focused. I was looking forward to hong lyon's development, instead, we got a huge time skip where HL does a huge 180 in character, without explanation why.

So I was like, okay, HL is awesome now. Cool. But her interactions with baekhan shows that she actually hasn't changed much, she only has a cool exterior. She also hasn't done anything so far to actually rise above jayang etc, she just accepted whatever dowun did. She's so powerless against dowun and his family that I'm not sure how she will wrench control of her throne back, if she actually even wants to. Baekhan, while cute, seems like a typical second ML, kinda naive and kind.

Right now, the only character that interests me is dowun, who seems more frosty in the beginning but showing more emotions in current timeline. The complexity and subtleness in his character is intriguing. Is his possessiveness of hong lyon merely to keep hold of the crown, or are there underlying feelings in his exterior? How did dowun become so manipulative, is it really his nature or have events triggered him to become so? Currently, I'm kind of sad that the only charater that intrigues me is the potential villain, Dowun. (since the plot seems to push lyon and baekhan together) HL and BH seems like really straightforward characters to me.

Anyway, i'll hold on and hope more development and palace intrigues continue soon.

I havent read this since chapter 48. Hong Lyon is disappointing me. I'm probably gonna wait a while longer before I return to reading it.

come on guys, it's obvious the author is building towards a dark scene soon, i wish honglyon stayed with baekhan, he is fun and they have a healthy relationship. Pretty sure Dowun will frame Baekhan for colluding with the old woman and the other princess and will kill all of them. Honglyon will believe, because of her lack of care, she put baekhan in a bad position and got him killed.
in any case, the author is showing how pure but weak their relationship is while also showing how honglyon would love anyone who treated her with kindness, making space for wifebeater dowun to be her true love.

I don't know how it could've been averted but
the author ruined a very great story to a shitty love triangle with clear results but held back cause of the shitty character personality switch at timeskip which causes hey to feel like a tool/puppet for the last 30 chapters now every chapter is more agonizing than the previous

Edit: AND let us not forget the fucking useless, naive second ML who's still alive cause the cause of FL's sense of "he saved me when I was nothing".

Group Leader
Just imagine...

JiinZcS.jpg

i love this a lot. thank you SO much for translating!! <3<3 maybe i should wait until it finishes then binge it because im so excited? i can see the author building interesting conflicts with cliffhangers :>

started quite promsing but developed into an average romance... what a let down

This series is on pause for me because honestly, I'm so conflicted. I really like Dowun as a character and the thing with Baekhan... is just not appealing. Like HL was growing so much as a character at the beginning, and now she just stops after coming back as an envoy? She's acting like a supporting cast instead with her wishy washy behaviour around Baekhan. And Baekhan.. is really a one note person so far. Just like how your past doesn't define you, whatever nasty backstory he has cannot redeem his current (boring) character

@yuunase I was about to say just this. Baekhan is really boring as a character compared to Dowun. And the manga itself is proving to be quite a disappointment :((

Also, I feel like the wishy-washy one isn’t just the MC but the author as well. It doesn’t really feel like they know where they’re gonna take the plot. I don’t exactly mind that they made Dowun how he is, since it makes him interesting, but
right now it feels like the author couldn’t decide between making Dowun genuinely like HL vs making him just use her for his goals. Looking at the majority of his actions so far, I’m not convinced when all of a sudden he’s getting annoyed that HL likes Baekhan.
The writing really doesn’t do justice to his character.

On a side note, I really really miss Dowun’s brother, the only character who haven’t been ruined by the writing (probably due to the fact that he barely shows up).

Would’ve liked this manhwa a lot more if author had gone with more of a slow pace without random time skips that turn into dragged out love triangles.

This manhwa lures you in with a couple chapters of character growth, establishment, and interesting uniqueness before shoving it all away for a time skip. Seriously though, it’s like you’re reading an entirely different manhwa. I mean, I’m 50 chapters too deep to drop it now, but warning you guys if you didn’t come here for slow paced love triangles, don’t stay.

I surprisingly love this kind of drawing that only colors the most important & distinguished aspects like character's eyes, hair, clothes.

About the story, I agree that Hong Lyon's sudden change of character because of time skip is weird. I also dissapointed that the author focused more on BaekHan rather than Dowun. Okay, we have been foreshadowed about the ML in this story since the earliest chapter, since usually the first guy who notices female lead would be the ML, so the ML is definitely BaekHan from the start (I think). Still, I'm on Dowun's team! Hong Lyon rises to her position right now because of him, not because of BaekHan. Why was she got cold feet now? I mean, I get it, if Dowun didn't act so cold to her, she would still like him. But that's part of the contract she'd agreed on--so that she could be higher above everyone else in the palace. Now she'd lost her purpose by chasing BaekHan. If she's so smart, she could try to scheme so that the Yang Clan wouldn't have much power even if Dowun marry her later, coz I have this bad feeling they would try to kill her when Dowun has become an emperor.

Too sad if this story keeps on focusing the romance part, in my opinion.

Ok so I'm just going to go on a rant I didn't plan on it but I just kept going and going so I'm going to mark it as a spoiler since I talk a lot about character's actions or justification of their actions so just yeah you are warned (I go in circles a lot I think so don't expect anything)
I actually really like and empathize with BaekHan's story, I also understand why Hong Lyon gravitates towards him it's the same reason she fell for Dowun initially. BaekHan treats her with kindness and even saved her life when she was little and no one gave or thought her life had worth. Add to the fact that he shows that his affection is genuine and has nothing to do with what she can do for him or her position of power. Compare that to Dowun who treated her kindly but then set up their relationship to be a what can you do for me situation.

Not to shit on Dowun because I personally love him and I think he's the most interesting character since we don't get to see much of why he does the things he does. Plus he shows that he has strong convictions on what he wants to accomplish and seems to act solely on logic, I say seems cuz I think there is more to his actions than that. But that's a whole other rant entirely.

I also want to say from a character perspective and not the audience it's understandable and realistic that Hong Lyon would be favoring BaekHan and acting cold with Dowun. Yes she knew the nature of what their relationship was going to be but she was desperate in wanting any sort of attention from someone especially someone who saw worth in her and believed she could aim higher than what her life was.So of course she would agree with whatever terms and conditions that came with. Its also understandable and human to still have emotional needs and develop feelings for someone and want for more than a transactional relationship.

Plus Hong Lyon only really starts acting cold with Dowun and being friendlier with BaekHan after (chp. 36) Dowun talks down to her about having an emotional relationship and not caring if she falls in love with someone else which pfft, ok dude sure.
So of course after this it makes sense that she acts childish with Dowun and starts crossing lines with Baek Han. Why would she deprive herself of affection freely given and continue chasing after an impossible love? That and I think that's how she's coping with her heartbreak. Actually as I'm typing this I think she's just using Baek Han for her emotional needs which really sucks and now I feel worse for Baek Han.

Who I do like because he is such a morally up right, selfless character and maybe the only one of the three main characters and the supporting cast who is. He's definitely not the most interesting and I really do not ship him with Hong Lyon. But I just feel for him because he's just such a nice sweet person and he deserves some sort of happy ending.
All that aside I really do ship Dowun and Hong Lyon and I can't wait to see how their relationship progresses with all this emotional turmoil brewing. I hope we get to see more back story on Dowun and maybe a little more character insight from him.

this turned out to be a very disappointing story in my opinion. At first, I really liked the story and obviously the drawing, colors and all that visual stuff is amazing but the storyline is not consistent and interesting anymore. I dropped the manga 7 or 8 chapters ago but when I saw an update in the discord channel, I wanted to go back and see if anything changed to make it more interesting since I really want to read it. But nothing has changed and I realized I did not lose anything when I stopped reading. I don't usually drop out mangas but I couldn't read this as the way it goes. Just my opinion.

Group Leader
Honestly, besides a blood bath of the main characters, I don't expect much from this story.

I loved the webtoon at first but the path that it is taking is fucking boring and frustrating !
Baekhan is such a conventional character and uninteresting except for the fact that he is kind. The fuck there is literally 4 chapters only for explaining his "tragic" past and the second half of the webtoon is dedicated to him and his love triangle with Lyon (best girll ). Just asking myself what the author is trying to do except for turning an exceptionnel webtoon with a refreshing cast into a classical love romance. Why don't he let a chance for Dowun to shine, was here for Lyon since the start and is such a interesting character. We know that he have difficulties showing his feelings because of his past and is even jealous, but Lyon is literraly cheating in front of him ffs. PLS LET PRAY AFTER THESE 4 DAMN CHAPTERS, that Dowun got a little of character developement and got his chance with Lyon ...

Ok I don't really know how to tag someone here so hopefully the @Freya25 works
But I just wanted to say thanking you for reading my rant and it's really nice to hear someone agrees 😊

Users who are viewing this thread