The Fragrant Flower Blooms With Dignity - Vol. 8 Ch. 56.5 - Sister and Brother + Extras Volume 8

Contributor
K-manga is only for the US. Canada is shut out as well :mad: not that I would actually subscribe to their ridiculous payment model.

Thank you team for all your hard work!
I must have got the Canada part confused with that new $2 Viz service, that one must be US & Canada only then.

Double-page supporter
damn if i had not read this extra i would not know this is the last release from you guys. anyway thank you for your hard work bringing this gem to us. time to sail another sea then..

While I fully agree that the way K Manga is set up is hot garbage, to everyone saying it's a "scummy company licensing it", K Manga is actually being run by Kodansha, the actual publisher in Japan, which is one of the 3 biggest manga publishers in Japan. Which in a sense kinda makes the monetization system worse since Viz, which is owned by the other 2 of the big 3 publishers, has a simple subscription format that has been proven to work.

Dex-chan lover
Flash forward to a some years from now, when the simulpub craze has died down, the apps shut down/licenses expired, and once popular manga are entirely unavailable to read after certain cutoff points, except on a collection of sketchy aggregators, or by hunting down massively overpriced physical releases.
I get dropping manga when they get licensed, I really do. But this simulpub shit is going the same way as streaming. Too many cooks in the kitchen, all doing their own shitty systems, with licensing across platforms being an impenetrable jungle of unavailability or expiring access. MD is great because it's a central archive (that won't give your computer aids) for stuff that never got licensed in your region/at all outside of Japan, and you can just read it whenever. Simulpub with its limited availability, both time- and region-wise, and whacko monetarization models is ruining this good thing we've had going for a long time.

Tbf it makes complete sense to drop a manga that has an official translation, makes the group available for other manga that have no English translation at all. For international readers it's a minor inconvenience at most: tracking the manga separately on another site and a slight drop in translation quality.

Any reader who quits the manga over this doesn't do it because it's not freely, easily, readily, and conveniently available on the internet anymore, because it is. It's just not on Mdex anymore.

Dex-chan lover
Wow did not expect such unfortunate news today! Regrettably, you decided to drop the translation of this manga, especially since the official English translation is not only locked behind a paywall but also region locked for people only in the USA making most of the world unable to access it (even with my VPN kmanga doesn't work). Anyway, I understand your choice even if I disagree with it, thank you I'd rather sleep group for translating this manga up till now. Maybe someone will pick this up here since most of us can't access the official translation and for now, we just need to appreciate rips from Bato. They are a godsend.

Aggregator gang
thank you so much for your hard work 🙇🏻‍♀️🙇🏻‍♀️

as a non-US person, this sucks but i understand. all we can do is wait for us to have our turn i guess.

best of luck to your future works ✌🏼✌🏼

Dex-chan lover
I don't even necessarily mind a company trying to monetize simulpups, but the way KManga is doing it just isn't it. Azuki I've had good experiences with (latest chapter locked behind (relatively inexpensive $5/month) subscription but, at least on the series I'm reading, a significant number of chapters are free (first 5, most recent 4 sans latest)). MangaPlus I think their simulpubs are free on release and require subscription after a point. I'd actually consider subscribing to those two to read stuff if I wasn't caught up.
Yah, I kinda read way too much manga to keep up with official stuff. Plus, I like the fan community.

And we have way too many streaming options. And for me, when paying for series, I prefer buying the full series (when the box sets are released, or if the series only has a few volumes and I buy everything).

But I don't like opening the books.

Users who are viewing this thread