The Gamer - Vol. 4 Ch. 345 - [Season 4] ep 150

Dex-chan lover
I'm kinda curious, does the author have an ultra nationalist view? not accusing or anything, just curious... being outright dismissive or overly prideful, there's a middle ground in there somewhere....

if you think of it, them Koreans distinctly differentiating themselves from south or north is kinda funny in a way....

nationalism does unify a country, but separate humans as a whole, same as all other denomination like race, religion, etc I guess in the end...

Dex-chan lover
@no168_92

Korean manhwa and stories often show a very 'Koreans are the best' message - often to the detriment of Japan and China. The Chinese equivalents do so more subtly, generally because they don't actually take place in China, but espouse elements that their populace has been brainwashed with.

Japanese equivalents just sort of take pride in parts of their culture and history, items of particular note or fame, but otherwise also tend to glorify the idea of other places so long as they aren't the other major Asian nations. Japanese heroes tend to be just "from Japan" and enjoy Japanese bath culture, soy sauce, and katana. Otherwise they tend to deal with local culture pretty well.

Koreans think wherever they end up should be more like Korea, generally. Also that being Korean in a different land means that if you meet any other Koreans, you should be brothers. Because Korea #1.

It's a little obnoxious, but at least it's less insidious than manhua and donghua.

Supporter
@no168_92 @Kayriel

Korean nationalism is similar to other proxy nations in that they are overcompensating for their powerlessness; the korean war is basically a proxy fight between the US and China. When your fate is outside of your control, you try to gain a semblance of control in whatever way you can. That's why in addition to the nationalism, there is a strong sense of escapism as well, with all the VRMMO stories.

Japanese manga's background theme is nuclear fallout. Just being able to preserve their culture intact is considered a win, especially in the face of the western threat, which is usually why you see a US guy as a the final antagonist in many manga. Also why japanese slice of life is the best and why the VR stories are survival games.

Chinese stories are the most interesting right now, as they are transitioning to a being an actual global power (they have an aircraft carrier now!). When they were rebelling and biding their time against the west, there was a strong focus on stories with a strong basis on history and tradition that spanned thousands of years into the future as well. As they transition though accelerated stages of prosperity, the stories have kept pace, with the "rich people being assholes" to "scrappy underdogs". Now that they are the prime players, there is a bit more BIG stories (wandering earth) as well as added self reflection & complexity, with more and more subversion.
Also, with the sheer amount of people, the flavor of individualism is different from the cowboy-ness of hollywood.

Dex-chan lover
Why is a turtle the master of the chicken area? Because I've had several types of turtle before, and it in no way tastes anything like chicken.

Group Leader
I’m gonna guess the godlike magic turtle has the missing mirror (or was it a rattle) that he needs to control the god tree

Dex-chan lover
RIP The Gamer again. Well, thanks for bringing us these three chapters!

Umm sooo 4 stones are carrying a big stone....its like that meme in which 4 guys dance holding a tomb lol

:| i kept reading the name as U.S.A. instead of as 'yuu saah'? or however you're meant to pronounce that name.

Group Leader
I guess webtoons will continue it the next week🤗
Till then wait patiently 🤗

In the beginning I though you picked up this serie for publicity, I was kinda surprise when I checked and didn't see any other serie that you are translating.

Anyway hope you guy pick up something nice, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread