The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy at All - Ch. 70 - My Star

It legit reads like one obsessed fan and their oshi being in that "I tolerate you but I don't actively enjoy your presence/would ever seek you out" relationship, which was not the case before.
Except Mitsuki just now reached out to her. By the looks of it, Aya would be the first to hear her original song. This could mean a lot of things, but it sure shows how special Aya is to her.

To be fair, her dream of being that insane, godlike musician is well deserved and she clearly works hard for it but what she turned into the past some ~10(?) chapters is just weird- more so if we take into account your point made about them being in high school. This is MILES above the usual overexaggerated high school drama, where small stuff is blown way out of proportion. That is what makes it ~not so beautiful~ for me personally. No doubt what happens next seems to be what everyone wanted but no matter what ends up happening or what the "pay off" is, it will be tainted by what happened before.
This is no over-exaggeration. Hyper-focusing and essentially shutting the outside world out is a thing that happens with people. This is a common behavior amongst passionate people practicing their craft. For them, "eureka!" moments are usually the start of such behavior. Since they usually won't be able to rest until they've put the idea on paper and polish it out.

However, it is not exclusive to them. Say, for example, you have a deadline fast approaching and you are nowhere near completion. You would tend to put all your attention into it and shut everything else out. Usually forgetting to eat, sleep, and/or do other basic necessities. This is but a basic example of such behavior.

The act of neglecting things is also why it is common that passionate people have health problems since they often neglect the most basic things humans require to function when they're in the "zone". Some even take drugs just to focus better.

However, after everything is done. They'd usually return to their normal behavior.

So, yeah, I don't think her behavior is exaggerated but is instead a display of her passion. That doesn't mean it was all good though, as implied by what she has neglected; studies, relationships, sleep, etc.

In such cases, external people usually are left with no option but to wait and be understanding. This is easier said than done though, especially if you crave their attention. I think the author is using this as a point of conflict in Aya and Mitsuki's story that they have to overcome.

Dex-chan lover
So.... why is her focusing on her music instead of her friends and relationships a good thing....???

Because I also had this issue with a streamer I loved, and sorry, just because you work hard doesn't mean it's something ANYONE should care about. It's selfish, and you know she'll go on and on about how important it to her and just assume you'll also be cool with sacrificing almost everything you liked about them. BUT IM WORKING HARD RIGHT! NO SLEEP 4 ME HUR HUR SO HARD WORKING. I just liked the old person you were, the one who liked the same music as me, not who ever you want to be in the future
did your parents cry when the doctors told them about your condition?

Dex-chan lover
did your parents cry when the doctors told them about your condition?
No, my mom beat me because she thought I was possessed by a demon because I was so depressed and angry. She said there was a black aura around me and I had no soul and I should kill myself over and over as I grew up. I’m being 100% serious right now. Sorry I don’t know what love is like. I just read vicariously through fucking manga. I’m a fucking loser who’s gonna die alone what do you want?

Dex-chan lover
No, my mom beat me because she thought I was possessed by a demon because I was so depressed and angry. She said there was a black aura around me and I had no soul and I should kill myself over and over as I grew up. I’m being 100% serious right now. Sorry I don’t know what love is like. I just read vicariously through fucking manga. I’m a fucking loser who’s gonna die alone what do you want?
maybe therapy

Dex-chan lover
So.... why is her focusing on her music instead of her friends and relationships a good thing....???

Because I also had this issue with a streamer I loved, and sorry, just because you work hard doesn't mean it's something ANYONE should care about. It's selfish, and you know she'll go on and on about how important it to her and just assume you'll also be cool with sacrificing almost everything you liked about them. BUT IM WORKING HARD RIGHT! NO SLEEP 4 ME HUR HUR SO HARD WORKING. I just liked the old person you were, the one who liked the same music as me, not who ever you want to be in the future
Wait, what?
Are you equating a parasocial relationship you had with a streamer to friendship/romance?

They’re not the same thing. Not the same sort of thing.

I agree with the other person in saying you would benefit from therapy. I understand how hard that can be. I have had few positive experiences with therapists, long-term, but there have been times they were life-saving. Worth all the grief.

i, too had abusive parents. Not to the same degree, but comparing suffering is a pointless exercise.

Fed-Kun's army
Okay, gonna stop you right here. The rest you typed out is mostly right/agree with and you wrote it in a really beautiful way. BUT this relationship clearly is not give and take. It is one-sided. This is literally 1 by 1 the same as the streamer analogy. It legit reads like one obsessed fan and their oshi being in that "I tolerate you but I don't actively enjoy your presence/would ever seek you out" relationship, which was not the case before. That is also why whatever happens next won't feel as.. satisfying.. I guess I would describe the feeling?

To be fair, her dream of being that insane, godlike musician is well deserved and she clearly works hard for it but what she turned into the past some ~10(?) chapters is just weird- more so if we take into account your point made about them being in high school. This is MILES above the usual overexaggerated high school drama, where small stuff is blown way out of proportion. That is what makes it ~not so beautiful~ for me personally. No doubt what happens next seems to be what everyone wanted but no matter what ends up happening or what the "pay off" is, it will be tainted by what happened before.

Also, I am not some huge hater of the series. I bought the physical release until now but I already decided I will not do it again going forward as this series took a turn I really did not enjoy, personally. It is by no means a bad series but I think the potential was way(!) higher than what we are seeing right now.
That's respectable. I'm afraid I might approach my manga with far too an idealistic mindset to properly emphasize with you (I'm very willing to ignore an author's rougher decisions in their storytelling if overall the series is still enjoyable to me, which is unfortunate to some extent) but I can understand wishing that something lived up to its potential.

I didn't have any intention of vilifying you, so I do apologize if it came off that way. Everyone enjoys things differently, after all! Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Dex-chan lover

She's not just writing some random song. Unless I've completely misread everything so far she's spent this time trying to figure out how to share her feelings towards Aya and she's about to do it the best way how. Should she get a scolding for making her worry, sure, but is she just like "fuck Aya, there's random music to be made" no, I highly doubt it.

Dex-chan lover
To be fair, her dream of being that insane, godlike musician is well deserved and she clearly works hard for it
What are you talking about? She hasn't expressed a dream to be a musician that I know of (or at least it hasn't been a major plot point), she just likes music, and relates to herself AND others through music.
She's not shutting herself off to fulfill some dream of being a rockstar, Aya sang her a song on the trip and got her emotions across to Mitsuki. Now Mitsuki is trying to return those feelings in the only way she knows how to communicate them. Yeah, neglecting Aya because she got caught up in finding the right words sucks, and will likely be adressed but how the heck do so many people have this idea that Mitsuki just flipped a random switch and immersed herself in writing music for any reason other than Aya??

Dex-chan lover
All the chapters are just four pages? And there's more attraction now than when they started.

Why are people suddenly trying to act so surprised that the two girls who first communicated and connected through music are communicating through music? One of them literally has no idea how to communicate except through music, and it appears she has something big to say.

Sure, if it's not your thing call it boring, your opinion I guess. But story-wise, nothing has changed, we're on the same trajectory we were and it looks like we're getting to a climax.

Dex-chan lover
Geez, have any of you been teenagers?
Or had… friends?
“This person I know has been really busy with something and is paying more attention to it than me” is a normal thing.
“she’s not sleeping and prioritising things that are arguably less important.” …Yeah, she’s a teenager.
People are acting like this is some horrible, toxic behaviour or borderline abusive.

Teenagers are stupid. That’s normal. This is way way way normal teenager stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread