The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy at All - Vol. 1 Ch. 37.5 - Rhythm B

Dex-chan lover
Oh shit shit shit, I got the butterflees 😭
"I could hear the sound of my beat and someone else’s merging together in perfect sync" 🦋🦋🦋

Dex-chan lover
I don't think Koga's free from blame here. She clearly knew the mean girls were going for her friend, but didn't do anything about it. She failed to stick up for her friend.
Sometimes sticking up for your friends means showing support doing something you'd rather not do. Or, you know, speaking up.

She just selfishly went "oh we're too different guess we can't be friends shrug".

I don't think Koga's free from blame here. She clearly knew the mean girls were going for her friend, but didn't do anything about it. She failed to stick up for her friend.
Sometimes sticking up for your friends means showing support doing something you'd rather not do. Or, you know, speaking up.

She just selfishly went "oh we're too different guess we can't be friends shrug".
This is a rather bad faith viewing of Mitsuki's character. I agree that she also has part of the blame but not for the reasons you stated. She could have tried more to talk it out with her friend, or made her see why she hadn't put on a skirt. The friend is also to blame because she didn't try to understand Mitsuki's side either. She stood up for Mitsuki, but also took out her anger at being targeted on the friend she stood up for.

Mituski could have worn a skirt to placate those bullies and her friend, yes. But if she did, the bullies would have won. It's obvious that they were targeting Mitsuki when they proposed to wear skirts, not her friend. They knew it would make Mitsuki uncomfortable, and they just dragged her friend in it too so that she would feel cornered and be forced to wear it. If anything, her friend failed to stick with her til the end. Even if she did stick up for Mitsuki against those bullies, she proceeded to lash out and stop communicating altogether.

This is the first time Mitsuki metaphorically speaks up about her likes, not just to those bullies but to her friend as well. By wearing those pants, she's telling them no, this is what i like and you can't force me to change. To call her standing up for herself "selfish" is missing the point completely.

Dex-chan lover
This is a rather bad faith viewing of Mitsuki's character. I agree that she also has part of the blame but not for the reasons you stated. She could have tried more to talk it out with her friend, or made her see why she hadn't put on a skirt. The friend is also to blame because she didn't try to understand Mitsuki's side either. She stood up for Mitsuki, but also took out her anger at being targeted on the friend she stood up for.

Mituski could have worn a skirt to placate those bullies and her friend, yes. But if she did, the bullies would have won. It's obvious that they were targeting Mitsuki when they proposed to wear skirts, not her friend. They knew it would make Mitsuki uncomfortable, and they just dragged her friend in it too so that she would feel cornered and be forced to wear it. If anything, her friend failed to stick with her til the end. Even if she did stick up for Mitsuki against those bullies, she proceeded to lash out and stop communicating altogether.

This is the first time Mitsuki metaphorically speaks up about her likes, not just to those bullies but to her friend as well. By wearing those pants, she's telling them no, this is what i like and you can't force me to change. To call her standing up for herself "selfish" is missing the point completely.
Koga didn't try to meet halfway, or reach out for help, or talk with her friend, or anything. Even though her friend spelled out that those girls were gonna have it for her. She just pretended it was nothing. And then it blew up in her face. Of course her friend would feel hurt, Koga left her out to dry.

And then instead of trying to work through it, the conclusion was "I guess we're too different so it'll never work out" and self-isolated.

Supporter
Is that a "how I met your mother" kinda chapter? If so, it was beautifully written.
The series as a whole comes off very...Real? Like, things happen in a way that makes sense; for example the chapters that are on either end of this where she feels the need to break off her concert date with Oosawa, and Oosawa in turn coming directly to Koga's room. The dialogue around it is very much a high schooler's way of dealing with the situation as a whole.

Dex-chan lover
Welp, this is the kind of thoughts teens would make. Not wanting to compromise even for a day is selfishness. Even if she didn't "lie" to herself, she became alone and lonely (tho she won't admit that, I know).

Can't really blame her though cause up till highschool, the cool kids set the norm. It's not until college where everyone wouldn't care, or would tend to be different more, welp in my case at least.

I never got why people always want to force girls to be more feminine even when it's not bullying. How many times have I heard people telling me "oh you'd look better if you where more feminine, if you wore dresses and makeup and blablabla". The worst part is that it doesn't stop in school. People my age don't care but older adults are so fucking anoying just last week some old drunk hag from my neighbourhood told me that if I was her daughter she would hang herself because of how I dress. And for the people saying she should've wore that skirt just for one day you guys don't get it. No one should force themselves to be someone else just to please other people. Pretending to be someone else will make you more miserable than being shuned + it would'nt be just one day they would've pushed her to do it again and again

Dex-chan lover
I never got why people always want to force girls to be more feminine even when it's not bullying. How many times have I heard people telling me "oh you'd look better if you where more feminine, if you wore dresses and makeup and blablabla". The worst part is that it doesn't stop in school. People my age don't care but older adults are so fucking anoying just last week some old drunk hag from my neighbourhood told me that if I was her daughter she would hang herself because of how I dress. And for the people saying she should've wore that skirt just for one day you guys don't get it. No one should force themselves to be someone else just to please other people. Pretending to be someone else will make you more miserable than being shuned + it would'nt be just one day they would've pushed her to do it again and again
Best reply would have been: "Then adopt me, mom". Would have shut her up real good.

Dex-chan lover
Oh thank you very much i haven't been able to read this until you made this translation. I really appreciate your effort, thank you so much:meguuusad:

Dex-chan lover
If the bullies ever reappear in the story I get the feeling they'd just be rizzed to questioning their sexuality per the Koga conduct, but I do somewhat hope we get to see her former friend once more, if just for closure.

Users who are viewing this thread