The Hundred Ghost Stories That Led to My Death

Dex-chan lover
Is Soukyuu Scans still working on this? If not, I hope someone picks it up soon. The 41 chapters posted so far are excellent. Each self-contained short story is satisfying on its own, and the slow-growing larger narrative is fascinating, so mysterious and surreal.

Agree that the tales told here often have a tragic dimension. In my limited experience, this (the grounding of supernatural horror in real-life tragedy) is fairly common in manga that update familiar old ghost stories. I'm not always fond of the result, as the contemporary taste for over-the-top gore, cruelty and shock of can easily overwhelm the storytelling. For me, The Hundred Ghost Stories That Led to My Death strikes a good balance between the old-fashioned pleasure of sharing spooky folk tales, and the more ruthless darkness of modern horror manga.

Plus I'm dying to find out what's really going on with Yuuma, Hina, Umakin, and their strange little bedroom world. Kills me that the Chinese translation has advanced another seven chapters since the last English update :eek:

Dex-chan lover
Pretty good. I read these late at night and as another commentor mentions they aren't too scary. A few confused me in their ending, but they're relatively straight-forward.

Aggregator gang
WHO KEEPS CENSORING THESE THINGS? HOW HARD IS IT TO JUST SCAN AN ORIGINAL COVER WITHOUT THAT OBNOXIOUS BAR BLOCKING THE VIEW? SERIOUSLY ITS A HORROR MANGA, WHO WOULDNT EXPECT SOME GORE?

Dex-chan lover
WHO KEEPS CENSORING THESE THINGS? HOW HARD IS IT TO JUST SCAN AN ORIGINAL COVER WITHOUT THAT OBNOXIOUS BAR BLOCKING THE VIEW? SERIOUSLY ITS A HORROR MANGA, WHO WOULDNT EXPECT SOME GORE?
seems like the black bar is there on the original cover for specifically volume 6

This manga has a lot potential. So far I really enjoyed it, it was really good. Each chapter has it own story, mixed of horror, tragedy and gore. Couldn't wait for the next chapter for english. Still wondering what happen on Yuma..

Group Leader
I feel like the manga is no longer as good as it initially was. Similar to how most dark manga authors just couldn't keep up with their own manga.

I feel like the manga is no longer as good as it initially was. Similar to how most dark manga authors just couldn't keep up with their own manga.
Agree, the quality of the "horror" stories drastically dropped over time (not that they were amazing at the beginning either)
It's maybe to make the reader more focused on the main story, but that means only 3 pages out of 16 were relevant in the last chapter released (83)
It sucks to drop it while we're so close to the end, but I personally don't enjoy it at all anymore

I'm going to have to come to the defense of this series with these last few replies. I actually really like the more recent chapters, they've been trending towards more tragic and hopeless and less scary, but you still get the occasional story that makes you scared to go to the bathroom at night. For my two cents, more lowkey chapters that don't rely so much on shock value, work better when you're asking the reader to get through 100 of them in a single series. You don't get ping-ponged between highs and lows and get to judge them as part of the whole, as opposed to their own standalone experience that you have set expectations for.

Users who are viewing this thread