The Knight and Her Emperor - Ch. 12

She's probably saying her last goodbye. But, im still confused by her idiom "step on the edge of the continent." Never heard that before.

Ty for translating, btw.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@Arkos

What a convenient way to assume she has authority. She doesn't. She has more authority than the army's chef. That's it.

Hee plan was used because the prince trusts her ability and information. She isn't even close enough to him to be asking favours that could risk the army and the entire operation. Even if she did ask, it wouldn't be approved. It would be a different story if the old man was captured but he died on the battlefield.

If she forgot about him, she wouldn't have visited him. If anything the panels seem to show that she only recently found out that he died.

Skipping the war arc is lame, yes, but that's not even related to this topic

@Arkos
Skipping the war arc was a terrible choice, I agree. But I feel it is a tactic to either save on time (as many novel based manwha skip arcs) or to try and tempt people to buy the novel.

Dex-chan lover
@ASmileToProtect I don’t think it’s as figurative as you think. I think she actually means when she steps foot on the edge of the continent. In other words, when the emperor has conquered his way across the whole continent.

Oh, the closest form of a father figure to her had died. :( She is so dedicated to her way of the sword to enjoy a normal life;I wished to have seen her be a little more like the old her from years ago once she got back to her hometown. Would have loved to see her tell the old man what she accomplished while she was gone but now she couldn't do that anymore. What a bittersweet feeling.

Dex-chan lover
I'm just gonna go get some water to douse this dumpster fire of a comment section.

Everyone is busy arguing whether Pauliana is a POS when the entire world around her is still worse as a whole, and I'm sitting here wondering if old codger with facial hair has some begrudging respect for her abilities.

Dex-chan lover
Gramps was quite the realist and non-nonsense guy. I believe he didn't fought on Ehas's side because of conviction, but because it was his job. He was a swordsman and one side is as good as the other. And then he was killed in a battle. I guess he also knew this might also happen. I don't believe he held it against her. In the end it was him who shaped her. I'd even go so far to say, it's well possible he'd be happy for her to gain such a favorable position, even if it is in the enemies ranks. (One side as good as the other.) He simply hadn't a chance to switch sides and went with the most plausible way. Defend his home, survive and see who comes up as the winner. Though luck.

Though winter could have tried to make use of her connections and asked to spare that village or at least send a message to lay low until the storm is gone. But then her position might have been fragil and she might have felt, that she was in no position to ask such favors nor take those kind of actions. But she did not handle that well and it should rest on her conscience.

It's cute to see what and whom she considered home. I do see a lot of respect there at the grave and that they mutually understood each other.

@Stormdragon: Was there actually a war arc in the LN? I thought the author skipped it, because he wasn't confident in his ability to create a realistic and interesting war scenario. (A lot of authors fail, because they try to sound smart, while the decisions of the characters are seriously stupid, but "somehow" still work.) That would have been a good decision, but that arc does actually exist? Is it any good?

Fed-Kun's army
the country deserved to fall but i feel kinda bad for gramps but i think he knew he'd die. even if the country had not fallen, he had a duty and would have probably died fulfilling it anyway?? so like... there was no guarantee he'd live, and she REALLY wasn't in the position to beg for anyone's life. also yeah he shaped her as a warrior but like he didn't really do it out of the kindness of his heart did he? i'm sure some measure of fondness and respect came though... i mean clearly paulina was grateful at the end. still it wasn't like he was truly her adopted father, it was a colder relationship than that. ANYWAY I LOOK FORWARD TO PONYTAIL GUY EATING HIS WORDS LMAO beard dude seems to have some respect for her at least, and also momo seems precious~

thank you very much for the update!

While reading some of the other comments, for those who say she should have warned or protected gramps, realistically that would actually be pretty hard for her to achieve. We don't know if she ever knew what his assignment was in the army and where he was based and even if she did initially, after she was demoted it was likely her access to troop information and their movements would have been limited. After she fled and betrayed her country, she would have then had zero access to information on who was where. In that time period he could be anywhere. In other words finding him among hundreds, likely thousands of soldiers would be the equivalent of a needle in the hay stack. As others pointed out, she wasn't in a position to be asking favors from her new alliance, and if she was discovered trying to send messages to Ehas herself, they would probably kill her right there assuming she's a double agent. Moreover, even if she knew where he was and she managed to sneak off a message, you also run the risk of someone else in Ehas discovering the message which would have sabotaged her plans, led to more battles, reduced her credibility and still might not save the old man.

I'm sure she wishes he was alive, but it's something out of her control. Plus Paulina and gramps knew that with any war its a battle in itself to stay alive yourself, I don't think they had any assumptions the other would be able to come to their rescue.

5H2wXWd.png

Double-page supporter
I salute thee fallen soldier gramps. Thank you for being you and teaching our Pauliana the ways of the soldier.

That gamble was quite anticlimactic coz we got our answers in the next panel right away lol.

XL

Dex-chan lover
Does she even look like the governing type? If you want to make her a leader then do it in name only and in addition assign her a secretary to do all the real job. She's smart but definitely not the "I want to be a leader" type. What a dumb bet, lol.

Fed-Kun's army
What the hell is it with that stupid idea of giving her command of her former country as a way to prevent a revolution?, she is just a heiress to a minor noble family, without education in governance and a traitor at that, if anything it could just make the situation worse.

Dex-chan lover
@Nimroth Cause he just wants her out the army, asap, since women are cursed. Any reason will do.

Users who are viewing this thread