The Knight and Her Emperor - Ch. 31

is the princess dead now? Kinda assumed Paulina would save her cause she saw that she was being abused

Everyone feeling sorry for the princess needs to focus on her words "didn't do it right" so if she was sure she did it right was she hoping the situation would be reversed?

That shows no remorse to me.

@xsweetmex I mean that’s an interesting way to take it, and to each their own but I didn’t infer that at all. She was expected to make the emperor fall for her, which is why she was called a useless woman. I think she feels that it’s her fault everything went wrong, if she had done what she was “supposed to” there wouldn’t have been so much death. Which is really naive because that one guy was determined to cause bloodshed.

Fed-Kun's army
@Tersione She's royalty. There's a chance she goes and gather a army, or get enslaved and raped, then her children might show up staking a claim in the country. Either way, she was definitely going to get raped and have random children who would technically be royalty.

Contributor
3 chapters in succession! Thank you!

Intense. But I'm a little happy that not only does that little brat boy respect Paulina now, but he's learning from her as well. That ball kick wouldn't have happened if he never knew first hand how incapacitating it was or had quandaries about using it

Thanks again for another fast release!

My impression of this chapter is that the princess thought she got things wrong by not being able to seduce the king which led to more drastic situation. However, Paulina realized that she would have never been able to make a difference. There was never going to be a scenario where she successfully seduced him, nor would her doing so have prevented the king of bikpa from trying to kill, she was just being treated as a tool. It's on this point of being used by your father that I think Paulina could sympathize.

From some of the sounds she was making as she was talking I think the princess was attempting the suicide but did it poorly and was suffering (that or she was struggling to do it). That's why Paulina was kind by quickly finishing her off for her. To me it makes sense this was done off screen as the point wasn't to show off the act of killing her but rather that Paulina is both strong but also merciful. This works as a nice contrast to how the king of Bikpa, who earned some wrath, was killed.

No, I think she definitely killed the princess as an act of mercy killing. The princess seemed too scared and incapable of properly doing it. If she were left to live it would not be a pleasant end for her so Paulina did it for her and quickly so there was less pain to feel. Poor girl was terrified and out of options.

Thank you so much for thew scanalation!!!! This is series is GOLD!
I loved how the author has shaped the story so-far:- no insta-love between the MCs, a king who is intelligent and ambitious but ruthless when he needs to be and most importantly, a female knight who after years of being a soldier suddenly doesn't become oh-so-sexy after wearing a dress. Other stories have also used the battle-hardened FL trope but they always show the FLs as very pretty with not a scar on their face or body and who take the MLs breath away when they wear feminine clothes and jewelry. the way its shown here makes more sense. Also, I won't re-hash what most people have mentioned below but yes I agree with @Aeriandra and @HobisFlower
It was a sad way for the naive princess to die but the alternatives weren't great as well.

Please please do continue translating this series. Thank you very much!

There's a bit of uneasiness in my heart about how the princess was killed and even though it's never really going to go away until I myself am put in that situation, I can still understand why she had to die. And I can still understand how it was mercy from paulina's side

I feel bad for the princess. I really did pity the poor girl for having a bastard of a father. Young and naive, she deserved better.

Nope, nope, nope. I'm kinda with icekatz on this. This is a pretty damn drop-worthy event. This just completely undermines any attempt to make Lucius have the moral high ground or sanitize the entire "conquering" thing. Framing it as a "kindness" to quickly kill someone not involved in the plot just makes it worse. If that's their idea of kind, what's their idea of normal? And this is supposed to be us reading for some budding romance between this man and an abused woman who apparently will go along with whatever he says? Yeah, no.

And to those insisting "it was an act of kindness" no. No it was not. People talking about "but she's royal family what if..." but before the king pulled his assassination attempt, Lucius was perfectly willing to let the former royal family live after their surrender. This whole arc was about conquering Bipka peacefully without bloodshed. A way of sanitizing the whole conquering thing which is kinda important in making a romantic comedy out of such a setting. Murdering the daughter of the man who plotted against him and "killing all the royals just to be sure" erases every last bit of that. And again, framing it as a "kindness" just makes it all the more egregious. You can sympathize with someone doing horrible thing when they're shown to feel like they have no other choice and are conflicted about it, but doing this horrible thing and going "omg, she's so kind!" just indicates a level of brutality/sociopathy that's flat out disgusting, and at heavy odds with the tone of the rest of the story.

Tonally this was a big shift and I'm unsure how I feel about it. Like, if this was supposed to show that they're still soldiers/imperfect/ruthless even in light of the supposed upcoming romantic comedy, then it damn well did that. But if you're gonna kill the king anyway why cut out his tongue? I'll still probably keep reading because so far the author has established enough trust with me to hope that this will be explored in more depth as a moral question rather than ignored, but this is definitely a red flag for me.

Fed-Kun's army
Boy has learned well, that ding dong kick was killer.

It's like they expect the princess to be spared by peasants. Guys. @Secuthar @icekatz Just some history: If they would have spared the princess a clean death, she would most likely be raped and killed later by soldiers or commoners. You should remember during the French Revolution and even the fall of the Russian Royal family: THEY KILLED EVEN THE BABIES/KIDS. Woman were raped before that, often not given a clean death. So yeah, it was very kind of them to provide a clean death.

It is an act of kindness. She saved the princess from a worse fate by killing her herself. If the princess didn’t kill herself, than the king would just order one of the knights to do it, and we’ve already seen that at least some of the knights would go a lot further than that before killing her.

I feel like it’s really a commentary on how difficult it is to be woman in this world. Pauliana looks at the princess and sees herself. They’re both woman forced into terrible positions with their lives at stake by family who look down on them for their sex. The only difference is that Pauliana could find a way out and the princess has none.

Whether you like it or not, realistically she could not have lived because she’d constantly be a threat to Lucius claim to the throne. She wouldn’t even have to be willing for that to happen. Any rebel force could rally behind just the fact of her being alive, or use her as a figurehead.

And I definitely don’t feel bad for that greedy king. He was a huge hypocrite and he sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread