The Lecture You Would Never Want Your Parents to Give You - Ch. 4 - The Most Rutheless Blame-Shifting Parent In Human History

Dex-chan lover
Any family therapist knows that regardless of the problem, the wife will say that the husband is to blame, and the husband will say that the wife is to blame. Classic.

Dex-chan lover
I don't completely understand your reasoning for 我が子 being "my child" - are you saying it would mean that the daughter is calling the father her own child? I thought it's quite clear it should mean "your own child", not "my child".
It seems like you left out the part "のヤツ" in your translation, since you put "she's that awkward phase" rather than "she's the thing from that awkward phase" or something like that.
Also, I don't think "awkward" is the most fitting translation of イマイチ here. The part it's in, イマイチだった時, is "the time where (something) was iffy/not good", and given what the sentence is supposed to be a reply to, I think she means "the time (of conception) where something was not good (because the father was not producing sperm with Y chromosomes)". So basically I think the meaning of the sentence should be more along the lines of "Don't talk about your own daughter like she's the result of a time where something wasn't good enough", or slightly less clunkier, "Don't talk about your own daughter like she's a defective product" (though that might be a bit liberal).

I don't completely understand your reasoning for 我が子 being "my child" - are you saying it would mean that the daughter is calling the father her own child? I thought it's quite clear it should mean "your own child", not "my child".
Yes, it can mean that, since it's a punchline. Like "Don't you talk shit about my boy", in a role reversal. みたいに turned the whole thing into a simile, so at that point, it seemed unlikely she was talking about him personally. If it seemed obvious to you that she means "your child", you've either got a better grasp of the language than me, or you're prone to miss the "Me/My" use case of 我が
It seems like you left out the part "のヤツ" in your translation, since you put "she's that awkward phase" rather than "she's the thing from that awkward phase" or something like that.
やつ doesn't always literally refer to concrete things, but rather can put things in a category based on some characteristic. In this case "イマイチだった時" seems to be the thing being categorized, and みたいに seems to be the daughter finally drawing the link between herself and the category of thing she described.
So basically I think the meaning of the sentence should be more along the lines of "Don't talk about your own daughter like she's the result of a time where something wasn't good enough", or slightly less clunkier, "Don't talk about your own daughter like she's a defective product" (though that might be a bit liberal)

I like that the line is making us both suffer. :pacman:

Dex-chan lover
Also, I don't think "awkward" is the most fitting translation of イマイチ here. The part it's in, イマイチだった時, is "the time where (something) was iffy/not good", and given what the sentence is supposed to be a reply to, I think she means "the time (of conception) where something was not good (because the father was not producing sperm with Y chromosomes)". So basically I think the meaning of the sentence should be more along the lines of "Don't talk about your own daughter like she's the result of a time where something wasn't good enough", or slightly less clunkier, "Don't talk about your own daughter like she's a defective product" (though that might be a bit liberal).
I think your suggestions are better honestly. The way it is now the text don't stand on its own, and the TL note just makes it confusing. And it sounds way, way better. Having it chunky and hard to understand because it was ambigious like that in the original sort of sounds like a bad reason for making it like that in the translation. I think someone who doesn't understand this fails at translating honestly.

Dex-chan lover
I think your suggestions are better honestly. The way it is now the text don't stand on its own, and the TL note just makes it confusing. And it sounds way, way better. Having it chunky and hard to understand because it was ambigious like that in the original sort of sounds like a bad reason for making it like that in the translation. I think someone who doesn't understand this fails at translating honestly.
But then you're asking them to take liberties. The problem isn't necessarily with the translator, but the language itself. Japanese tends to remove a lot of things that are usually necessary in English, especially when it comes to dialogue/conversation, because it relies a lot on inference and context.

Dex-chan lover
But then you're asking them to take liberties. The problem isn't necessarily with the translator, but the language itself. Japanese tends to remove a lot of things that are usually necessary in English, especially when it comes to dialogue/conversation, because it relies a lot on inference and context.
Fluency and readibility is the most important for a good translation in my opinion. If you can't make it somewhat readable and understandable, you've not done a good job.

Dex-chan lover
Fluency and readibility is the most important for a good translation in my opinion. If you can't make it somewhat readable and understandable, you've not done a good job.
But it is readable. Very readable. "So basically she's saying that her daughter is an indication/product of her husband's awkward phase." Is the takeaway.

And this is much better than innacuracies.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, it can mean that, since it's a punchline. Like "Don't you talk shit about my boy", in a role reversal. みたいに turned the whole thing into a simile, so at that point, it seemed unlikely she was talking about him personally. If it seemed obvious to you that she means "your child", you've either got a better grasp of the language than me, or you're prone to miss the "Me/My" use case of 我が

やつ doesn't always literally refer to concrete things, but rather can put things in a category based on some characteristic. In this case "イマイチだった時" seems to be the thing being categorized, and みたいに seems to be the daughter finally drawing the link between herself and the category of thing she described.

I like that the line is making us both suffer. :pacman:
Maybe change it to something like "Don't talk about your own daughter like her conception was that awkward phase you went through" ?

Dex-chan lover
But it is readable. Very readable. "So basically she's saying that her daughter is an indication/product of her husband's awkward phase." Is the takeaway.

And this is much better than innacuracies.
I still think the other guy did it better. You kind of kill the punch line with a somewhat bad sentence and a TL note.

Dex-chan lover
I still think the other guy did it better. You kind of kill the punch line with a somewhat bad sentence and a TL note.
I mean hey, if you prefer slight liberties for a better sentence, that's totally fine.

This TL and I seem to prefer otherwise xD

Dex-chan lover
I mean hey, if you prefer slight liberties for a better sentence, that's totally fine.

This TL and I seem to prefer otherwise xD
Fluency, readibility, and flow is the most important in my opinion. If you kill the punch line in a comedy, or you kill the mood or tone otherwise, you have kind of ruined your own product honestly. Then you're doing it more for your own satisfaction than the reader, which is fair I guess but then it ruins the purpose of posting it for others to read.

Dex-chan lover
Fluency, readibility, and flow is the most important in my opinion. If you kill the punch line in a comedy, or you kill the mood or tone otherwise, you have kind of ruined your own product honestly. Then you're doing it more for your own satisfaction than the reader, which is fair I guess but then it ruins the purpose of posting it for others to read.
I think he enhanced the experience for me as a reader because I now actually understand what was going on better.

Something like "don't talk about your daughter as if she's a failure" has a COMPLETELY different meaning than basically saying "don't talk about your daughter as if her conception was your/an awkward phase you went through."

The former makes it sound like blame is being put on the daughter rather than the father. Maybe saying "product of failure" would have been much better.

Dex-chan lover
I think he enhanced the experience for me as a reader because I now actually understand what was going on better.

Something like "don't talk about your daughter as if she's a failure" has a COMPLETELY different meaning than basically saying "don't talk about your daughter as if her conception was your/an awkward phase you went through."

The former makes it sound like blame is being put on the daughter rather than the father. Maybe saying "product of failure" would have been much better.
I think it was less fun.

Dex-chan lover
How about "Don't talk about your daughter as if she's a product of failure" ?

Users who are viewing this thread