The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady - Ch. 38

Dex-chan lover
thanks for the chapter.

sorry to bother but can anyone tell me how long did this arc go on in the novel? I'm thinking of dropping this till this arc ends if this arc goes on for too long.
For Whom the Crown is Intended and The Spark of Revolution take all of book 3 and cant be cleanly unwoven from eachother. combine that the manga and anime have revised their versions of the story and we cant predict when book 4 starts

Dex-chan lover
To anyone talking about Anis Trying to implement a republic:

This is cut from the anime and likely will be cut from the manga as the manga is told from Euphie's perspective, but Anis' removal from the line of succession had nothing to do with her demanding it. She was allowed to set up a city parliament in place of the appointment of a district lord when the previous titleholder died. It failed its duties within a year because of the lack of general education. The reason she was allowed to attempt that is because none of the nobility want to handle the work and neither Orphanse or Sylphine can afford to manage the city either. Setting up a system that can run itself with the occasional glanceover from the King, Queen, or Grantz to make sure theres no serious embezzeling or legalized murder sounded like a good idea.

Edit: the books are austensibly historic records written by Lumi 1000 years later, and include biographical perspectives from Anis, Euphie, and Al. The manga is specifically written from Euphie's perspective, where as the anime is from Anis'.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
As noted by other people in this thread, "king" has historically been used to refer to female rulers at times, the gendering isn't as strict as Queen is. It's gendered through the implied maleness of English in a lot of cases (like "actor" being applicable to male/female as it's the "default", but "actress" is specifically women) but doesn't explicitly have to be male.

You can say "exception proves the rule: you're counting exceptions here which proves King is meant to be male", but I mean, we're talking about an inherently exceptional case in this manga too. If we're going for manga examples, I'm pretty sure the female 王様 in land of the lustrous is also referred to as King in the official TLs, I know she was in the anime subs at the very least. Not exactly just some "amateur fan translator misses nuance" bit.
I think the historical precedent for translating female rulers' titles matches with my point too. Throughout this comment section, I think there have been two examples of female rulers brought up:
  • King Jadwiga of Poland - this is translated from Hedvig Rex Poloniae (Latin). Rex is masculine gendered so it makes sense to translate it as "king". (Incidentally, in Polish they still say Królowa Jadwiga with the feminine word królowa "queen" instead of król "king" due to Polish having grammatical gender. You'll also see Jadwiga referred to as a queen in English sometimes - e.g. the sidebar of the Wikipedia page about her.)
  • Wu Zetian, Empress of China - she is the only 皇帝 in all of Chinese history. 皇帝 is usually translated as "emperor", but the term itself is gender-neutral. It gets translated as "Empress" when referring to Wu Zetian.

As for this manga, to be honest I don't remember the details of the setting that well. Is there a law that forbids women from inheriting the throne, or is it just that men are favoured/have priority?

Dex-chan lover
As for this manga, to be honest I don't remember the details of the setting that well. Is there a law that forbids women from inheriting the throne, or is it just that men are favoured/have priority?
we havent gotten there yet:

Palletia's sovereign authority is inherited by any willing Spirit Contractor (why Lumi isnt the queen), then The King, then the succession of princes, then the Queen if the Queen is unmarried, then the succession of princesses if the royal couple and all male heirs are deceased, then the succession of cousin families. Orphanse and Sylphie abdicate for Euphie, and Euphie invokes the Royal Right of Dibs on Anis making anis the Queen Consort

Dex-chan lover
AL STILL DID NOTHING WRONG
So true.
I find it kinda hard to feel bad for Anis when a lot of her problems are made worse by her actions. Sure she's in a non-ideal situation but that doesn't mean she hasn't made things worse, starting with simply dumping her problems on Algard.
Al did nothing wrong

Dex-chan lover
Al did nothing wrong
Al absolutely did everything wrong. Palletia is an absolute monarchy with weak crown authority specifically because of him. Hell fighting Anis straight up undermines his actual plan and If it wasnt for Tilty literally torturing the majority of the hardliners from the conservative faction at the Dragonslayer Conference as well as an entire legion of knights as her magic burned through her nervous system, the kingdom would have collapsed.

Theres actually 3 political factions in Palletia. the Conservative faction formed from exemplary mages in the nobility who overthrew the previous king, the Royalist faction which is primarily formed from the knight corps and the military, and Anis' revolutionary faction who are formed from low ranking magical lineages as well as the peasantry and the adventurer's guild. at least through book 5 the limit of the political disasterscape of Palletia hasnt really been explored in how the Royalist and Revolutionary factions disagree especially since Euphie and Anis rule for 1000 years at least.

Dex-chan lover
OEzX1VG.png

she's really going through a roller coaster of emotions lately huh.

Aggregator gang
we havent gotten there yet:

Palletia's sovereign authority is inherited by any willing Spirit Contractor (why Lumi isnt the queen), then The King, then the succession of princes, then the Queen if the Queen is unmarried, then the succession of princesses if the royal couple and all male heirs are deceased, then the succession of cousin families. Orphanse and Sylphie abdicate for Euphie, and Euphie invokes the Royal Right of Dibs on Anis making anis the Queen Consort
This doesn't make sense. The whole conflict with Al originates from Anis giving up her position. But according to your explanation, Al had priority anyway the moment he was born, since he is male. So Anis stopped being in line for the throne the moment Al was born, which is what happens with the older sisters of a male heir when males have preference. So why was Al salty that he had to be heir, when that was his role from the moment he was born?

This is not the first this has happened, but king is a gendered term, only men can become king. Use ruler if you want to pander to the sjw crowd or just use queen.
"Jadwiga, canonized saint and the first female monarch of Poland, held the title of King as Queens couldn't rule, but the law didn't state that a King had to be male."

Dex-chan lover
This doesn't make sense. The whole conflict with Al originates from Anis giving up her position. But according to your explanation, Al had priority anyway the moment he was born, since he is male. So Anis stopped being in line for the throne the moment Al was born, which is what happens with the older sisters of a male heir when males have preference. So why was Al salty that he had to be heir, when that was his role from the moment he was born?
Anis by the time she was 7 was already a rising hero in the adventurer's guild and working on inventing personal flight, having researched nearly to the limits of magical theory and magicology's base theories, and had probably invented the electric burner considering everyone has hotplates.

Further, over the next 8 years, Anis had her own political faction form around her, allied with the Royalist faction, and was generally considered favorably by the conservative party except the hardliners.

Further, anyone Anis marries becomes first prince intrinsically.

Dex-chan lover
When you live like a princess, it's all expected.
Even if we ignore that she barely lives like a princess for most of her life (not just hang out with the commoners, but also went out hunting monster's material by herself like an adventurer and research a subject considered taboo in her world), you're assuming that it's fine just because "it's expected".

It's not, almost every characters in the story is either said or imply you that.

Aggregator gang
Further, anyone Anis marries becomes first prince intrinsically.
This make even less sense. It would basically say that if Anis were to marry, an outsider to the royal family would have the supreme ruler authority. Generally a big no in monarchies if there is a suitable alternative

Dex-chan lover
This make even less sense. It would basically say that if Anis were to marry, an outsider to the royal family would have the supreme ruler authority. Generally a big no in monarchies if there is a suitable alternative
youre going to need to wait for us to meet Lumi to understand why their Primogeniture is so fucked up.

Dex-chan lover
Noted.

We're still not up to the anime yet. This is the latest chapter as of now, though.

This is what the spread in the raws look like, unedited. And no, I did not misalign it.
don't note that. King is simply the acting ruler that it is historically a male title has nothing to do with it being gendered someone above already posted the wiki link of Jadwiga the FEMALE king of poland.

theres Cleopatra and Hatshepsut while Egypt uses the term Pharaoh they are monarchs how about Catherine The Great who took the throne of Russia form her husband

b58

Double-page supporter
I didn't expect to see so much of Jadwiga of Poland in that comment section here, but I feel compelled to paste this bit from Polish Wikipedia here (translated):

According to the unanimous opinion of the sources, Jadwiga was "crowned king of Poland" (in regem Poloniae coronata), which meant that after the coronation she became a full-fledged ruler, a position she also maintained after her marriage to Jagiełło[12]. Despite this, in the documents, also issued by herself, Jadwiga was not called a king (rex), but - in accordance with her gender - a queen (regina)[13].

And yes, I can personally attest that in all my time learning history up to high school, Jadwiga was being consistently referred to as a queen and this comment section is the first time I'm hearing about her being a "king" (but history was never my favourite subject at school). So I'm really guessing this is just some curiosity/technicality of the law at the time, mostly interesting to historians (and yuri readers :p)

Anyway, that whole debate is at best linguistically interesting, but I don't think it matters that much. But I do think "ruler" would probably be less awkward unless this fantasy kingdom's laws are being similarly particular about these titles.

Users who are viewing this thread