The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen Who Will Become the Source of Tragedy Will Devote Herself for the Sake of the People. ~To the Savior~ - Ch. 7

Dex-chan lover
I might look into something like that.

Also, and bear with me for a moment, as a completely random side, is "Manwha" really a genre? Manwha is what the Koreans call their "graphic" novels (comic books). That would be the same as saying that the entirety of "graphic novels" (comic books) are a genre in and of itself, as "graphic novels" (comic books) are what English speaking countries call the... well... classification of media.
Don't get me wrong, you could be (and probably are) completely correct... I just thought of "graphic novels" as the same categorical concept as "novel" (book), video/movie, audio (book), stage play, etc. And saying it is a genre (again, I could easily be wrong, and that it is one) would mean that people from other countries would be able to (independently) produce works of the same "genre." i.e. A Chinese individual would be able to make a Manga, instead of a Manhua; a Japanese individual would be able to create a Manhwa, instead of a manga... etc (I could try and find the word for "Graphic Novel" in each respective language, but that would take too long, too much room, and do nothing to further my point). I'm fairly sure that people from [X] country would object if people from [A - W, Y, or Z] country claimed to make something classified as "work from [X] country." I think there was actually a lawsuit by Native Americans (either a specific tribe, or a class action one) against a (or group of) clearly non-Native American(s) for creating works similar to and claiming that it authentically was Native American work.

But... The entire premise of my question rests on whether or not a "novel", a "novella", a "textbook", and other categorical form of media are themselves considered "genres" and not just categories.
Yes.

Long strip is the format, but manwha means "long strip format with chinese/korean (because I can't bother to differentiate the spelling today, even if I usually do) influences". Same reason "manga" and "western comics" can be considered genres.

Yes, there's little stating that they have to be written in a specific way. But they almost always are.

But indeed, if we are speaking more clinically, no they are not. They only refer to format, art-style, and 'country' of origin. It's just that those combines to have a strong bias. But exceptions exist, and ie. "avatar the last airbender" is a cartoon, but if the terms were considered genres it would have to be called an anime instead.

The ending is kinda nice here but overall if the chains can be broken by a sword then why couldn't anyone else do that? Surely Knight boi could have. Also cutting bullet in half does not stop the bullet (on a side note why it a flintlock shooting modern ammo and not balls?)
Conical bullets were invented in 1832, and were widespread by the time of the American Civil War. As for the gun, it's looks closer to a percussion cap than a truly vintage flintlock. But at the same time the multiple bullets means you can disregard the assumption of it being a muzzle loaded firearm of any sort.

Dex-chan lover
Yes.

Long strip is the format, but manwha means "long strip format with chinese/korean (because I can't bother to differentiate the spelling today, even if I usually do) influences". Same reason "manga" and "western comics" can be considered genres.

Yes, there's little stating that they have to be written in a specific way. But they almost always are.

But indeed, if we are speaking more clinically, no they are not. They only refer to format, art-style, and 'country' of origin. It's just that those combines to have a strong bias. But exceptions exist, and ie. "avatar the last airbender" is a cartoon, but if the terms were considered genres it would have to be called an anime instead.
Ok. I can certainly see that. It's like how "Picasso" and "Modern," while not necessarily genres, are specific styles of art.

I'm still uncomfortable stating that something made by someone decidedly not from a nationality or culture as making something of that nationality or culture. It just feels like... cultural misappropriation(?) somehow... and even that feels different than saying it is in the "style of" or in "honor of".
I also vaguely remember that Mangadex, moderators/administration, don't allow people to post things here as one culture if it doesn't originate from that culture. Or at least they didn't as I read a thread with someone asking why their submission was rejected/removed, and that was the reason given.

Anyway, I clearly can't say that you're wrong, because you clearly are correct. It just walks a fine line for me since anyone can write in a genre, but Manga and Anime categorically come from Japan.
Ok. I'm going to stop blabbering.

Dex-chan lover
Ok. I can certainly see that. It's like how "Picasso" and "Modern," while not necessarily genres, are specific styles of art.

I'm still uncomfortable stating that something made by someone decidedly not from a nationality or culture as making something of that nationality or culture. It just feels like... cultural misappropriation(?) somehow... and even that feels different than saying it is in the "style of" or in "honor of".
I also vaguely remember that Mangadex, moderators/administration, don't allow people to post things here as one culture if it doesn't originate from that culture. Or at least they didn't as I read a thread with someone asking why their submission was rejected/removed, and that was the reason given.

Anyway, I clearly can't say that you're wrong, because you clearly are correct. It just walks a fine line for me since anyone can write in a genre, but Manga and Anime categorically come from Japan.
Ok. I'm going to stop blabbering.
On MD, it isn't tagged as manga/manwha/manhua (for good reason. encoding such in the metadata would require there to be an authoritative decision on what the terms means. And like I said, they can be used both as a category ["avatar is an anime"] and as format+origin ["avatar is not an anime!"], etc. So that's just a recipe for unneeded controversy :p).
The metadata contains originalLanguage (metadata for the title), translatedLanguage (metadata for the chapter), and format (long-strip etc.). So yes, you can't tag something as something it isn't - because they intelligently made the metadata be objective data. (There's also stuff like "contentRating", "genres", "publicationDemographic", and "status" (ie. completed).

Dex-chan lover
Conical bullets were invented in 1832, and were widespread by the time of the American Civil War. As for the gun, it's looks closer to a percussion cap than a truly vintage flintlock. But at the same time the multiple bullets means you can disregard the assumption of it being a muzzle loaded firearm of any sort.
It maybe a percussion cap it's hard to tell but either way a one armed man repeat shooting it or even in combat with the 2nd guy fast shooting it is impossible.

Dex-chan lover
It maybe a percussion cap it's hard to tell but either way a one armed man repeat shooting it or even in combat with the 2nd guy fast shooting it is impossible.
And @Lascien
The thing(s) needed to take into consideration are: this is a world of magic, even if her country is the only one that births people with special abilities, it is, by definition, a world of magic. Given that, the gun could be explained away as "shooting magical bullets" or "magically shooting bullets".
Even disregarding that another two things that need to be taken into consideration: just because one (or more) aspects of technology are (apparently) advanced to one level, doesn't require all aspects of technology to be advanced to the same level. Yes, they use swords, but that doesn't require them to have not advanced better firearms technically than that of the people of our Earth around the same (apparent) time (more on this in a moment). Secondly, and related, the world she is in is "based off of" a fictional world she experienced in her original world (can't remember if it was a game or a book, etc), therefore the varying aspects of technology are much more likely to be screwed up as the original creator of that fiction could add whatever they wanted to the story to make it interesting, especially if it was a game (take World of Warcraft as an excellent example).
With regards to them still using swords if they have guns equal to or better than modern pistols, this could easily be explained away by the same bullshitery that other fictions have utilized when introducing monsters to the modern world and wanting magic and swords to be the primary weapons used (basically forcing classical fantasy into the modern world) and that is to make the BS claim that a lump of metal projected at extreme speeds at a solid mass could be rendered utterly ineffective with magic (but a sword "wrapped in" magic or blessing or something, and ranged magic would override this effect -- the BS here is two fold: if ranged magic works and swords can have the effect applied to them then there is absolutely no reason that this effect could not be applied to bullets; and if a lump of rock being projected at less speed than a bullet is effective enough to break the absolute magic barrier, then a bullet at vastly superior speed could as well).
In less words: bullet is not magic, magic required to defeat (some) enemies, sword affected by magic, sword required to defeat (those) enemies. Guns exist but only useful in limited situations because not magic.
It's absolutely BS because if A is affected by magic, and B is made of the same stuff as A, AND magic is effective at range, then B is affected by magic and useable...

tldr: you are assuming that their firearms technically is what it appears to be (or equivalent of real world same "age" as other seen technology. It doesn't have to be. There are plenty of possible reasons that the gun could be equal to a modern pistol (even a submachine one) and they still use swords.
And... AND it could simply be the original author thinking: gun = cool, shooting gun fast = even more cool, make bad guy shoot gun real fast to make bad guy cool and dangerous; and not thinking about the logistics of what they are doing (which is honestly the most likely thing).

Dex-chan lover
And @Lascien
The thing(s) needed to take into consideration are: this is a world of magic, even if her country is the only one that births people with special abilities, it is, by definition, a world of magic. Given that, the gun could be explained away as "shooting magical bullets" or "magically shooting bullets".
Even disregarding that another two things that need to be taken into consideration: just because one (or more) aspects of technology are (apparently) advanced to one level, doesn't require all aspects of technology to be advanced to the same level. Yes, they use swords, but that doesn't require them to have not advanced better firearms technically than that of the people of our Earth around the same (apparent) time (more on this in a moment). Secondly, and related, the world she is in is "based off of" a fictional world she experienced in her original world (can't remember if it was a game or a book, etc), therefore the varying aspects of technology are much more likely to be screwed up as the original creator of that fiction could add whatever they wanted to the story to make it interesting, especially if it was a game (take World of Warcraft as an excellent example).
With regards to them still using swords if they have guns equal to or better than modern pistols, this could easily be explained away by the same bullshitery that other fictions have utilized when introducing monsters to the modern world and wanting magic and swords to be the primary weapons used (basically forcing classical fantasy into the modern world) and that is to make the BS claim that a lump of metal projected at extreme speeds at a solid mass could be rendered utterly ineffective with magic (but a sword "wrapped in" magic or blessing or something, and ranged magic would override this effect -- the BS here is two fold: if ranged magic works and swords can have the effect applied to them then there is absolutely no reason that this effect could not be applied to bullets; and if a lump of rock being projected at less speed than a bullet is effective enough to break the absolute magic barrier, then a bullet at vastly superior speed could as well).
In less words: bullet is not magic, magic required to defeat (some) enemies, sword affected by magic, sword required to defeat (those) enemies. Guns exist but only useful in limited situations because not magic.
It's absolutely BS because if A is affected by magic, and B is made of the same stuff as A, AND magic is effective at range, then B is affected by magic and useable...

tldr: you are assuming that their firearms technically is what it appears to be (or equivalent of real world same "age" as other seen technology. It doesn't have to be. There are plenty of possible reasons that the gun could be equal to a modern pistol (even a submachine one) and they still use swords.
And... AND it could simply be the original author thinking: gun = cool, shooting gun fast = even more cool, make bad guy shoot gun real fast to make bad guy cool and dangerous; and not thinking about the logistics of what they are doing (which is honestly the most likely thing).
I assume gun not magic so the masses could use them, as being powerful with magic is rare in this setting. Obviously as a game setting it maybe wonky but we have to be told if it differs from real world logic otherwise it just looks wrong and your brain melts.

Dex-chan lover
I am seeing this has a bit more gore than anime which is good.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I feel like Pride is perhaps a bit overpowered. She instantly can mimic any of the fighting she sees, and she has such accurate precognition that she can dodge bullets, and even split them with her sword. Seems kinda unfair.

Users who are viewing this thread