The Mute Girl and Her New Friend (Webcomic) - Ch. 7.5 - Serialization Announcement

Group Leader
I'm hoping to convince Akita Shoten to let me translate the serialization in some form, so your cooperation in not scanlating the serialization would be sincerely appreciated ♥

Dex-chan lover
It's like these publishers are sloooowly catching onto the fact that us gaijin wish to read their cartoons and also NOT wait years upon years and wait until a series has already concluded or is horribly delayed.

FFS, isn't the international English audience actually larger than the current readers for most publishers in Japan? That's a huge revenue market that's criminally underused and neglected. And often not even used. Some series I've liked got rights for licensing in English and were never actually picked up and fully released despite the series already having concluded in the original Japanese run.

@definitionofinsanity IT is almost like someone actually realized that hey this person is basically gonna work for us for free translating and releases our series and give the series advertising internationally in countries that someday we might start releasing the serialization.

Some series I've liked got rights for licensing in English and were never actually picked up and fully released despite the series already having concluded in the original Japanese run.

I curse the crowd funded publisher who picked up Kotoura-san and only released 3 crappily done volumes and not the other 4 volumes. It is a series that gets asked for translations so often to but there is only one volume fan translated.

Dex-chan lover
@definitionofinsanity: I think part of the problem with Japanese creators and publishers that don't capitalize on the overseas demographic is that to this day they by and large have great difficulty comprehending the cultural gulf between them and Japan's domestic demographic. Nowhere is this more evident than with the recent Netflix dub of the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series; see, earlier in 2013, Studio Khara had sent someone(s) from their side to watch one of the initial screenings of the third Rebuild of Evangelion movie at Otakon, and was utterly mortified by how the audience was a boisterous cacophany of laughter while watching what is by all measures a very serious and dark movie, not realizing that Western audiences generally react more animatedly than Japanese ones while watching movies or considering the possibility that the reactions they saw were a fluke rather than a truly representative sample. This sentiment was apparently shared by enough of the powers that be at Studio Khara that they decided to take a very tight-gripped approach with the dubbing of the TV series, forcing the dubbers to stick to the letter in the translation process and "approve every single line, every single delivery, every single change".

TL;DR dealing with how different foreigners are is too much out of their comfort zone.

Thanks so much for the translations so far, Taco! Hopefully, we can see a scanlated version of the serialization. Keep up the awesome work! 🙂

Dex-chan lover
@Heimdal
I curse the crowd funded publisher who picked up Kotoura-san and only released 3 crappily done volumes and not the other 4 volumes. It is a series that gets asked for translations so often to but there is only one volume fan translated.

Right there with you. Discovered the anime years back, and quickly finished it and went immediately to read the manga... only to be met with utter disappointment. Thankfully I discovered Mousou Telepathy because of looking constantly for updates and alternatives, so at least I got something good out of that.

Henneko is another series that really got shafted, too.

Dex-chan lover
>Shounen Magazine

Yeah good luck with that, I am out of here.

Dex-chan lover
@MarqFJA87
That much is true, but I keep figuring eventually these Japanese publisher companies are going to see the money and revenue potential and just embrace it. So far I've been wrong at every turn where I thought It was eventually going to happen.

...There does seem to be a worrying disconnect of how Japanese view and understand foreigners whereas those same foreigners can become engrossed in their own culture. This culture disconnect isn't new, either. It's kinda really off-topic, but part of the plan of the Japanese government and military in 1941 was to basically "shock and awe" the Americans with Pearl Harbor and force either suing for peace or a ceasefire later on the basis that the Americans were war weary (which was true) and didn't want to be involved in another costly war (which was also true)... While completely missing the point that killing thousands of people in a surprise attack before giving notice and openly declaring hostilities... Which anyone that understands even the most basic thing about Americans would realize would just spin us into a level of pissed off and revenge hungry that hasn't been seen in some time. Politically and economically they understood America just fine. Culturally? Utterly failed to grasp even the most rudimentary idea. It's made even more ironic given that Yamamoto, who received an education in America (at Harvard, no less) was probably the highest ranking military commander who had even an inkling of what America was like culturally and didn't seem too keen on attacking America, was put in charge of planning the attack.

Dex-chan lover
The cover art look so different. Do they redraw the actual manga with that art style too ?
also, shounen now mean it gonna become mere super friendship between girl ?

Fed-Kun's army
@definitionofinsanity
Yamamoto was put in charge precisely because he was one of the main people who push for it in the first place. Yamamoto position has always been the moment Japan goes after any Western Assets, America would swoop in to contain them. That why they have to cripple the US Navy for a while to give them enough time to take over and consolidate their gain. Basically they have to scale back their conquest(which is literally political suicide) or kick America to gain some time.

Fed-Kun's army
I don't mind not getting the translated serialization, but the webcomic version better be more yuri than the serialization, just sayin.

Group Leader
@Xaelath
>Shounen Magazine

Yeah good luck with that, I am out of here.

Lmao, is this some sort of weird joke? You do know that not all series in a "shounen" magazine are long-running battle manga, right?
It just refers to the general target demographic (i.e. young men, in this case), and it's not unusual for the magazines to stray from these demographics. Recently it seems to happen all the time!

Dex-chan lover
@TheElusiveTaco
Yeah it is a weird joke.

I had to confirm myself if there's a Shoujo AI or Yuri in any Shounen Magazine.
The said publisher only have like 1 Shoujo AI.
So if Editors going to handle some of the plot we probably get the friendship route instead Yuri.
sadKEK

That's my main concern, I do not care about the Battle Manga, but my concern
was that they'll never show any Yuri relationships because it is published on Shounen magz after all.

Just like Shouran Teki.

Group Leader
@Xaelath
Ahhhh, I get what you mean! That's fair, it's really quite unclear where Yamura-sensei plans to go with the series, and I'm not sure exactly how the serialization in a shounen magazine might affect what they had in mind... All we can do is wait and see 😅

Users who are viewing this thread