The Mute Girl and Her New Friend (Webcomic) - Ch. 9 - A Terrible Teacher

Well her teacher's method seems to have worked. Because he called her a good-for-nothing delinquent she became a proper member of society to prove him wrong.

Aggregator gang
when i read the title of the chapter i got scared that a teacher would try to do something to mashiro

glad i was wrong and it turned out to be such a wholesome chapter

Dex-chan lover
Imagine learning a new language then find out you learning the wrong one

Dex-chan lover
It does make sense for a mute person to be able to use sign language even if they can hear. It's certainly faster than handwriting everything on a notepad if the other person happens to know it.

Dex-chan lover
I figured early on she probably used sign language, probably at the suggestion by a doctor or even her parents when she was younger. She might be fully able to hear, but being able to converse in a quick and fluid manner without a notebook is important. In a casual setting you might not find many people who can understand sign language (though you would be surprised how many are out there) but in professional settings it's pretty normal.

Dex-chan lover
Sign language is a really undervalued in schools, there should be more options for it as a class

She's trying at least.

And that's always the first step to getting anywhere.

Dex-chan lover
So that's probably why that lunch lady had no idea about her condition.

This was a very sweet turn out. I really hope we can see this story line in the serialized version too.

Dex-chan lover
@Cornonthekopp I think the issue is that there is no properly widespread sign-language. Or rather, there are too many standards (comic mostly unrelated and just included as a pun). Not only does every language essentially have their own version (make note that it rarely is that the sign language is in those language like how written text is in same language as spoken, but rather that languages, both spoken and sign, are semi-bound to regions), but even regionally in the same country you might find multiple different ones. Combined with how small minority uses them, not only will you end up unlikely to have use for any sign-language you might have learned as part of obligatory education, but also the spread of any single sign language is likely hampered .

Luckily there seems to be initiatives to standardize the sign languages taught, such that more ppl end up using the same (which makes hte above paragraph kinda outdated). Chief of which is probably how some nations pick one as their national sign-language, such that the required sign-language translation for national broadcasts stays consistent, which should encourage their spread.

But yes, just like it makes sense if the world agreed on a single language to use internationally and taught it to everyone in schools (luckily french german english seems to have managed this somewhat by itself back then up until ww2 nowadays), it would also make a lot of sense if they agreed on a single sign-language to teach everyone. Until then however, I don't see any reason to teach sign-language to everyone (lack of use will just make ppl forget it all anyway, like my third and fourth languages), though I do agree it should be encouraged as electives for third+ languages (second obviously remaining english as always). Like you said, there should be more options for it as a class.

Dex-chan lover
@feha I think when I was in grade school, we had a brief introduction to some basic ASL? It was definitely more like they were trying to teach us that "this exists" than anything else, but I think that was about the best they could really be expected to do as well, honestly. I've personally met one person, one time, in this general area who might actually need ASL to communicate in about thirty years or so, so it's just as you said. A lot of average people mighty just fall out of practice with it anyway if they did pick it up.

I agree it should be more available as a class in various capacities too, though, because obviously not everyone is in that same average situation. Someone could be looking to get into work that specifically has them dealing with just tons of different people daily. That'll increase your odds of running into people that sign. Being able to use even just some basic signing could come in "handy."

The comic you linked is actually a pretty good point about the standardization end of things, too. That's absolutely the immediate result we'd have. Who knows how long it'd take to whittle things down more towards the intended global standard, and then how many places would just stubbornly and absolutely refuse to use it. People can get kinda weird about that sometimes. It's like the metric system and the USA, there are actual reasons we've been neglecting to just switch over 'cause it's not like yanking a bandaid off or something... but if you ask just random citizens, I've literally talked to some that treated using the imperial shit as a point of national pride for... some unfathomable reason, considering it's a hold over from us being British colonies. People are stupid, what can I say.

Dex-chan lover
@Feha I don’t think it’s that different than learning every other language. Like yes it’s not universal, but thats okay. Odds are you won’t need to use sign language for huge continent spanning communication, I’m just talking about learning the local sign language used in your country or area to communicate with those around you.

Users who are viewing this thread