The New Gate - Ch. 97

Dex-chan lover
I can't remember if it was the cause or a result of him joining an Anti-PK'er death squad, but yes it was related. The whole thing was like the Laughing Coffin sub-plot of the first arc of SAO.
I haven't read the LN but ended up reading the wiki earlier so i may be wrong but
didnt Marino die outside of the game which caused her to be reincarnated as Tiera.
it's been a few years since I read that part of the story so I could be wrong.
But....

Tiera is partly possessed by the spirit/ghost of Marino ( Shin´s Girlfriend )
Tiera is not her true reincarnation in spirit as Marino is still around and "alive" as a separate ghost entity.

There was a reincarnation system in the game that is now creating powerful "NPC" whenever a transmigrated "player character" dies in the new world.
Either by starting with extra stats or a title/skills, which was foreshadowed when Wilhelm first talked to Shin in the bar where he asked Shin if he was a Chosen one.
This is why Chosen ones like Wilhelm and Millie exist who have extra powers from birth.

It's a bit of a tricky situation because Marino more or less died in both worlds at the same time.
This is what makes her different from all the other players who crossed over to the new world and had their own bodies
( Like Milt, and later on Holly, Shadow and Hibineko )

Marino´s player character "died twice" and was reincarnated into Tiera.
But Marino´s soul was never absorbed because of the unusual way she died in.

There is also another reason why her ghost might be allowed to exist as a separate entity ( huge spoiler for a future arc )
Tiera was a shrine priestess of her village who could communicate and intentionally share bodies with spirits to gain extra powers before she got cursed.
She still has those priestess powers, but she does not tell anybody about this because it makes her a target to demons who fear her powers because of plot reasons.

So both Teira and Marino are especially attuned to each other in multiple ways.

The fact that Teira is a priestess and the fact Marino "body" died twice which allowed her "body" to be reincarnated into Tiera is heavily hinted to be contributing to Marino being still "alive" in her own way.
Because of this, Marino´s power only partially transfers to Tiera.
That is why she gets huge power boosts "out of nowhere that no one can explain" at a few key points in this story.

( Yes it happens like 3 times before they explain why in the arc where she reveals her priestess powers. )

IIRC Marino died in the outside world which caused her to slip up in the middle of a big battle against a PK invasion.
This made it look like she got murdered by everyone else, including the MC which made him go on a PPK killing spree.
But the truth was that she was dying regardless of what happened in that battle.

I don´t think it was ever confirmed if Marino's possession was actually influencing Tiera mentally in either versions.
And even her "bonus powers" were heavily delayed because of plot reasons and only showed up until later on in the story and not from birth like with Millie and the other Chosen ones.

They should show up in like..... another 3 arcs / 50 chapters or so I think?
So its going to be a while...

Anyone know a good site to read this LN for free?
I used to read on Novel updates
It has both versions.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Plot spoiler below:

She's actually the reincarnation of Shin's GF/Wife who was murdered when the SAO-style death game was running (basically the Asuna to his Kirito), so it's actually her past memories starting to return that's making her love him.

damn, that was unexpected. I thought the mystery about her was going to be something else

Dex-chan lover
There was a reincarnation system in the game that is now creating powerful "NPC" whenever a transmigrated "player character" dies in the new world.

@Goldenzeal when you said "new world", do you mean the world they are currently in? Like if Hibineko dies now, he'll be reincarnated as npc?

Or do you mean the death game SAO world?

Dex-chan lover

@Goldenzeal when you said "new world", do you mean the world they are currently in? Like if Hibineko dies now, he'll be reincarnated as npc?

Or do you mean the death game SAO world?
The one they are in now.

If Hibineko dies (even of old age )
Then somewhere in the world, there is going to be a person born with parts of his skills, stats, or even a title.

Marino for example was an expert in whips because she was a beast tamer class and was BFF with Cashmere.
So once Tiera gets Marino´s powers she gets a few top-tier whip attack skills and becomes significantly stronger.

They won't get everything
But for someone as powerful as Hibineko they would probably end up strong purely based on the bonus stats.

Titles are rare to inherit, but they are usually pretty powerful in the story at least.
Millie for example can see the future because of her title.
And that was a random title you got for doing a tutorial quest or something super basic in the game.
Millie is therefore most likely a low-level player's reincarnation or just very unlucky because she did not get many extra stats.
Then again, being a chosen one in itself is pretty lucky...

Dex-chan lover
it's been a few years since I read that part of the story so I could be wrong.
But....

Tiera is partly possessed by the spirit/ghost of Marino ( Shin´s Girlfriend )
Tiera is not her true reincarnation in spirit as Marino is still around and "alive" as a separate ghost entity.

Either by starting with extra stats or a title/skills, which was foreshadowed when Wilhelm first talked to Shin in the bar where he asked Shin if he was a Chosen one.
This is why Chosen ones like Wilhelm and Millie exist who have extra powers from birth.

It's a bit of a tricky situation because Marino more or less died in both worlds at the same time.
This is what makes her different from all the other players who crossed over to the new world and had their own bodies
( Like Milt, and later on Holly, Shadow and Hibineko )

Marino´s player character "died twice" and was reincarnated into Tiera.
But Marino´s soul was never absorbed because of the unusual way she died in.

There is also another reason why her ghost might be allowed to exist as a separate entity ( huge spoiler for a future arc )
Tiera was a shrine priestess of her village who could communicate and intentionally share bodies with spirits to gain extra powers before she got cursed.
She still has those priestess powers, but she does not tell anybody about this because it makes her a target to demons who fear her powers because of plot reasons.

So both Teira and Marino are especially attuned to each other in multiple ways.

The fact that Teira is a priestess and the fact Marino "body" died twice which allowed her "body" to be reincarnated into Tiera is heavily hinted to be contributing to Marino being still "alive" in her own way.
Because of this, Marino´s power only partially transfers to Tiera.
That is why she gets huge power boosts "out of nowhere that no one can explain" at a few key points in this story.

( Yes it happens like 3 times before they explain why in the arc where she reveals her priestess powers. )

IIRC Marino died in the outside world which caused her to slip up in the middle of a big battle against a PK invasion.
This made it look like she got murdered by everyone else, including the MC which made him go on a PPK killing spree.
But the truth was that she was dying regardless of what happened in that battle.

I don´t think it was ever confirmed if Marino's possession was actually influencing Tiera mentally in either versions.
And even her "bonus powers" were heavily delayed because of plot reasons and only showed up until later on in the story and not from birth like with Millie and the other Chosen ones.

They should show up in like..... another 3 arcs / 50 chapters or so I think?
So its going to be a while...

I used to read on Novel updates
It has both versions.
man, I feel bad for Schnee. She lost to Marino. And now she took care of her reincarnation. Though I'm assuming it will be a harem?

Dex-chan lover
man, I feel bad for Schnee. She lost to Marino. And now she took care of her reincarnation. Though I'm assuming it will be a harem?
Where i am in the novel Schnee is ahead and it does not seem to be turning into a harem just yet.
Marino comes back to possess Teira at the end of the " Village of the World Tree " arc and tells him to stop being a pansy.

MC and Schnee have gone on a few dates and he seem to be OK to never go back home if it meant leaving her behind.
They are also fucking like rabbits to the point a succubus could smell the mad sex on him even a whole day later.
( its played up alot for shits and giggles but its a pretty funny little dialogue at least in the novel )

So all in all it is looking to be a monogamous relationship with Schnee.
But there is at least 3 other girls who would be happy to ruin that even if none of them is actively trying to do so.
Teira/Marino for example does love him, but is actively trying to avoid courting him out of respect for Schnee.

Fed-Kun's army
Where i am in the novel Schnee is ahead and it does not seem to be turning into a harem just yet.
Marino comes back to possess Teira at the end of the " Village of the World Tree " arc and tells him to stop being a pansy.

MC and Schnee have gone on a few dates and he seem to be OK to never go back home if it meant leaving her behind.
They are also fucking like rabbits to the point a succubus could smell the mad sex on him even a whole day later.
( its played up alot for shits and giggles but its a pretty funny little dialogue at least in the novel )

So all in all it is looking to be a monogamous relationship with Schnee.
But there is at least 3 other girls who would be happy to ruin that even if none of them is actively trying to do so.
Teira/Marino for example does love him, but is actively trying to avoid courting him out of respect for Schnee.
I would love if you could tell me who the other three are cuz I’m not the biggest fan of harems and if it seems to be heading that way in the novel I’d much rather know ahead of time rather than later.

Dex-chan lover
I would love if you could tell me who the other three are cuz I’m not the biggest fan of harems and if it seems to be heading that way in the novel I’d much rather know ahead of time rather than later.
Teira
Marino(ghost GF)
Rionne Bayreuth(2nd princess of the first kingdom he showed up in AKA the sword princess )

All of them have feelings for Shin ( but Rionne´s haven't been shown that just yet in the manga and comes up again later on. )
Rionne currently want to court Shin because he is strong and dangerous to have as an enemy.
But later on she does also gain romantic feelings for him after he saves her life in a later Arc.

But none of them would try to get between Shin and Schnee, so the chances on a harem is 0% or 100% depending on what Shin decides on.
And last time it checked it was closer to the 0%.

Fed-Kun's army
Teira
Marino(ghost GF)
Rionne Bayreuth(2nd princess of the first kingdom he showed up in AKA the sword princess )

All of them have feelings for Shin ( but Rionne´s haven't been shown that just yet in the manga and comes up again later on. )
Rionne currently want to court Shin because he is strong and dangerous to have as an enemy.
But later on she does also gain romantic feelings for him after he saves her life in a later Arc.

But none of them would try to get between Shin and Schnee, so the chances on a harem is 0% or 100% depending on what Shin decides on.
And last time it checked it was closer to the 0%.
It truly sucks that it is like this to begin with. But I can stomach those two(three?) a bit more because I genuinely enjoy them and Shin as an MC but I’ll never understand Japanese authors sometimes. Thank you for the spoilers nonetheless.

Contributor
I don't fully understand or remember why they can't just teleport back to the caves since it's a place they've already been to, but this means there's a mini travel arc now especially with that stopover.

That panel on page 5 with the stained glass circles behind Shin's head makes it seem even more that he's like a god in Berrette's eyes.

It's nice that Filma gets a denim jacket to wear outside of battle, it would have made her look like a perv to be casually strolling in the streets in just bikini armor, after all. She's kind of a relationship troublemaker though, poking at Tiera's feelings in contrast with the others who play wingman for Shin and Schnee. I have mixed feelings about how she's effectively helping to build a harem for Shin. Filma saying polygamy is common is also the first I've heard about it in this series. I don't even remember seeing one man with a number of wives yet, although princess Lyonne didn't bat an eye when Shin said he had two fiancees.

Users who are viewing this thread