The New Gate

Group Leader
It's THIS slow even in manga form, imagine the LN.
I don't miss the time I used to read the LN at all, author loves to use text walls to explain things with some idle dialogue mixed in.
Still, the pace is somewhat better than Tsuki ga Michibiku, that hot pile of garbage is insanity.
I still read both mangas though, which is sad laifu...

I used to look foreword to the releases every month, but after reading a couple manhua’s I’ve just lost the story because of the monthly releases.

The greatest weakness of this manga is how slow everything moves. The monthly releases aren't helping either. The characters are spread so thin and the main character is spread thinnest of all without any kind of development except, "I did this back then and this too!" while everyone gets on their knees to kiss the ground he walks on without ever really contributing anything.

There is some kind of faux complex the MC is going through about, "How much does he want to leave?" but its only becoming more and more obvious that he won't leave and he has shown little to no connection to the outside world. He lived, and lives in this game and with the lack of any kind of opinion or even viewing of his life outside that game basically tells us he is is going to stay. The ending wrote itself.

You nailed it. It's getting pretty hard to keep track of characters and settings now because of both the monthly releases and the fact that the full cast isn't put to enough use that we remember them. On top of that, the supporting characters themselves are just not memorable as it is. I say this even though I like several of them. I'm glad that the orphanage and that angry spear wielding mercenary are getting more screen time, perhaps they can rectify this.

Also, I'm getting really sick of generic fat ugly nobles and clergy as villains. Especially in isekai. One thing I appreciate about some major Shounen series is the memorable and persuasive villains you sometimes see. Sure there are plenty of nobodies wandering around that show up in time to get thrashed and that's fine, but if there's a whole canonical arc or mini-arc we get good character designs for most of the villains and some exposure to their line of reasoning beyond a desperate bid for money and women. I'm just thankful that this fat ugly generic priest villain didn't try to physically assault the nun.

Meanwhile the philosophical element of the narrative, of leaving things behind and which place is really his home, is a non-question, because as you say, we have nothing to contrast it with. Shin either talks about the game world in the past, or lives in the game world in the present. If this was supposed to be a hard choice, as his character arc hints at, then you'd suppose we'd see his original life in the real world, but we don't. Therefore the ending is predetermined and he absolutely won't leave the game world.

I say all this and yet I still avidly follow this series because I was very impressed with some of the early Arcs and I still like a lot of the cast.

@OuterRem I agree with you about the villain thing. It's practically a staple of poor and lazy writing in this genre to have some ugly fat noble or clergymen to be the bad guy. That wouldn't be a problem if they weren't literally cardboard 1d cutout villains. Imagine writing a noble bad guy, but with actual character, solid semi convincing reasoning for his/her actions (Be it from the mc/heroe's faults or generally grey philosophy) that you might actually understand instead of lusty man want money and power.

Oh and inb4 some idiot spouts out "ReAd ThE LN" like the ln did anything other than add irrelevant padding.
I did up to 13, and I gotta say, it's hardly better.

Too many Japanese authors slap an isekai tag on a blatantly fantasy-only story in a sad attempt to trick readers into wasting their time. The isekai part of this manga only lasts 3 chapters.

While we are in the critiquing mood, I think my biggest issue with the plot is the MC's ability to get side-tracked.
Consider this;
After his fight with Ziralt/Geralt/Gerard, he wants to go to Kilmount, but...
he has to go to the palace to meet the princess first...
and then he has to escape from the holy land...
and then he has to stop the stampede...
and then he has backstory with people in the town...
and then he goes through his memories with Marino...
and then after he wraps up all that, he immediately gets sidetracked by the Church stuff.
He is 6 side-tracks in at this point. While everything he does makes sense as the situation develops, the MC is just dragged from event to event instead of pushing the plot forward himself.

@krutou Isekai stories are fantasy dumb ass. Isekai only means other world. This manga takes place in another world. Nothing about this is "tricking" readers.

Just realized this has been coming out for 6 years. God I need the LN to just get licensed.

The Pace! The pace is killing me! No seriously i wish this was a weekly release.

Fed-Kun's army
Wow this is... Really nice.
I love Sousou no Frieren, which is a series about life after the adventure, when all your friends are gone and you've yet to live another lifetime. This feels very similar. It starts off as a "Ha ha sword art online'd" series, but man, it's very emotional. Chapter 34 struck a cord with me. I really like it. I feel like people critique it too harshly because of the "Most powerful" cliche, while I feel like it does it at a level where it's still very enjoyable and doesn't take over the story completely. There's nothing wrong with something popular if it's good, after all.

Dex-chan lover
@allyeeee
well I feel the same before, really

but lately the story feel bit stale and kinda boring. the long update doesn't help either

Dex-chan lover
This series is somehow really bingable while also being really boring for prety long stretches. When the emotinal scenes come they do hit and after volume 3 they come at a good pace, but often there's just too much talking. However the action is excellent and with chapter 64 and 65 things that have been building in the background are starting to come to the surface I'm actually hyped to see the next chapter.

Just found this and boy its good. . I just need to suffer now that I'm caught up urg.

The quality of the scans that uxtef has is atrocious. It's truly sad that hesitation scans gave up on this one.

@00two they didn't really give it up it was out of respect for the official english translations back when they were first announced. but i do agree the quality is appalling.

Users who are viewing this thread