The Otome Heroine's Fight for Survival - Vol. 4 Ch. 18

Fed-Kun's army
Thank you for the chapter

I can see this as a Anime one day, it has so much potential.

Ay with a few more efforts towards teleporting with magic and effectively using fire magic. She could end up like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat if she trains well with that "rope dart" of hers.

had a blast reading till catch up just waited 2 years, oh boy can't wait to wait for another 2 years.

Double-page supporter
Well the stat summaries kind of just exist in the novel because she's used to habitually scanning herself and her enemies to gauge progress (and much she's into deep shit when outranked). At the very least the numbers are entirely a quantification of your actual trained capabilities, there's no system bullshit going on. IIRC, even the combat skills are explained to be obtained by repeating the action so much that it gets engraved in your soul.

Contributor
The shady dude Dino didn't turn out to be out for blood, he was there for the enjoyment of cornering Serjura. I don't remember if the demon army stuff was ever mentioned before, but this just adds to the interesting world of this story that's turning out to be more than just some otome game dating sim world.

This is promising to be an action packed arc with an entire guild of assassins on Aria's bad side. I presume this lady isn't here to be friendly with Aria, so I wonder what she's got to offer in a fight.

Double-page supporter
Thanks for the TL. One of the more enjoyable series for me atm.

Also, I'm going to air fry some nuggs. :chad:

Dex-chan lover
"If it's my 'enemy', I'll kill them."
That's a running theme with her. Don't become her enemy. You will die.

"All 4 elements."
Kind of strange, since there are two more. Classic four, plus light and dark. So between the master and the surly disciple, they can use all six elements.

And another psycho appears. This manga has no shortage of those.

But...I think the point the prior comments is that the writing and composition of the manga is so good and complete that it doesn't need them. The flow of the story and the heroine's development haven't relied on them meaningfully and consequently they don't serve a narrative purpose. Their presence seems like an afterthought, especially in a format like a manga where time and space is at a premium. That disruption yanks me out of my immersion so I end up more irritated than delighted
The only thing that matters are the overall rank and skill ranks. Like, there's a significant difference between a 2 and a 3, and it if you go up to 5 you're already at hero rank, and even 4 isn't even achievable for anyone without a good amount of talent or extreme dedication. There are also the specific abilities tied to the ranks.

However, in the manga they're kind of glossed over like a lot of other details, so here they don't matter nearly as much as in the LN.

Could it be written without the numerical ranks? Certainly. Would it be better? Maybe. I'd rather have them fleshed out more, like in the LN.

But yeah, in the manga we can plainly see how strong she is and the random stats pages are unnecessary at best and detrimental at worst (imo, "show don't tell" and all that). Of course in a purely written work the stats pages are more forgivable given it's harder to show off growth (and to write compelling action, but I haven't read the source so maybe it does well).
With longer battles and more detailed descriptions, I find the LN easier to judge her power relative to others. The manga moves too quickly with just a few flashy panels that don't convey nearly the same amount of struggle as the LN.

While I do think it's more forgivable in a pure text story than an illustrated one, I don't think it's because it's harder to show, but rather because a written stat page sticks out far less in a written format. It's all text anyway. That said, I don't think it sticks out too horribly in a manga either, but only when the stat pages are brief.

There are some horrible examples with full manga pages with only a stat page. The only one that did that one properly was Medaka Box at one point, only for the purpose of showing just how stupidly overpowered a character was.

Users who are viewing this thread