The Princess of Sylph (Twitter Version) - Vol. 1 Ch. 29

Group Leader
NcNjoc6.png
Worth noting that, in this version, Sara intentionally went to take Sylpheed. She wasn't tricked into it, Natalia wasn't in immediate danger, and it wasn't life or death for Sara, though she was happy to die if the sword killed her.

Dex-chan lover
At the end of the day, the decision Natalia had to face was always about choosing between Sara and her people. She can't have both. You know, the whole you can't have your pie and eat it too.

And while it might sound romantic that she chose Sara over her people, she had a responsibility to them as their queen, and she failed them. She might be able to save those who were petrified, but a lot of people are already dead and there's no fixing that.

Dex-chan lover
This is from the previous chapter thread but this chapter kind of furthers my feeling on it:
But everyone made mistakes here: Natalia's brother for giving the sword to Sara despite the danger to the kingdom, Natalia for not killing Sara to get the sword back when she had the chance. What's really sad is that those who ended up paying for this mistakes are the people. So many people died. There's no fixed that now. Even if Natalia and Sara make it out alive from this, it won't change the fact a lot of people died, people Natalia was responsible for since she's the queen.
I disagree a significant amount: the people themselves are absolutely at fault too. I dislike the idea that "the people" are just complete sheep unable to do anything and with no responsibilities of their own. They're clearly heaping enormous amounts onto one convenient "savior" after another with no thinking about the person in question as a person themselves or sympathy for their own challenges, and then on top are extremely fickle about their opinions which in turn directly affects said person's ability to help them. It's a crap situation, but "everyone made mistakes" also includes those that died.

Dex-chan lover
This chapter reminds me that much of the legend about Natalia, the sword and her family is based on embellishment, in both versions and that we don't really know what the sword can do. The stories of the sword are mostly fabrications, and it has not been used in 300 years.The walls had done all the protecting.

We also know that Natalia's untouchable nature is fabricated. Even w/ the sword, she was doomed w/o Sara. Pre-Sara, we see Natalia broken down numerous times: frail, starved, dizzy, depressed and suicidal. The first time she meets Sara and tries intimidating her with some simple magic, she literally faints, not strong enough to even hold a replica sword! Later, she falls over when simply touched by Sara, couldn't even recite the sylphs prayer w/o fainting; and too tired to conjure her mana, she nearly died fighting a simple wolf!

This version shows Natalia in the same condition but truncates things and leaves some of it to implication because of the shorter length. I think it's worth reminding everyone just how bad of a shape Natalia was in and how ineffective she was (sword or not) before Sara. Sara's role was integral to her becoming useful at all.

This is why Sara needed to save her in both versions, even if that meant complicating the sword; yet, the people did not know of Natalia's condition, refusing to view her as a human being, instead viewing her as godly. Just more legends and lies. I'm excited to see how she handles all this in the serialized version, which seems to have some key differences. Story is great.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
At the end of the day, the decision Natalia had to face was always about choosing between Sara and her people. She can't have both. You know, the whole you can't have your pie and eat it too.

And while it might sound romantic that she chose Sara over her people, she had a responsibility to them as their queen, and she failed them. She might be able to save those who were petrified, but a lot of people are already dead and there's no fixing that.
I didn’t realize that Undine was on the forums

Dex-chan lover
So this is a blame game. The people blaming Sara. Even Sara agree to them. The goal is to clear the princess name. (Previously the people blame princess because they think she don't care for her people). Easy win for the princess's but she don't want to accept that.

It's getting interesting. When serialization reach this point...

Dex-chan lover
What i hate is that she have to antigonize to the point she look like a cartoonish villain "look at me i'm evil and bad. Oh you should totally kill me."
Worth noting that, in this version, Sara intentionally went to take Sylpheed. She wasn't tricked into it, Natalia wasn't in immediate danger, and it wasn't life or death for Sara, though she was happy to die if the sword killed her.
It's my problem here. Sara choose to be the host of the sword so the whole situation is mostly on her. The sole reason we're in this situation is because Sara have the sword. Natalia try her best with what she have. Trying to give people faith in Sara and simulate her death is the best she can with the tools at her disposale.
Maybe i'm seeing that wrong but to me most of the blame fall in Sara (and maybe the brother) and now she have to resort to look like a saturday morning cartoon villain to give Sara the sword and the faith.
I'm kinda relief that they change the way Sara get the sword in the serialization.

Dex-chan lover
Sara intentionally stabbed the Princess legs, probably knowing that she couldn't feel much there yet.

I'm not really smart so I don't see how can the Princess get them both out of this one?

Or maybe Sara got killed but didn't die do to magic sword bullshit? I don't even mind if it's dumb or simple, by now I just want them both to live somehow.

thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
I disagree a significant amount: the people themselves are absolutely at fault too. I dislike the idea that "the people" are just complete sheep unable to do anything and with no responsibilities of their own. They're clearly heaping enormous amounts onto one convenient "savior" after another with no thinking about the person in question as a person themselves or sympathy for their own challenges, and then on top are extremely fickle about their opinions which in turn directly affects said person's ability to help them. It's a crap situation, but "everyone made mistakes" also includes those that died.
I totally agree with you. It's always a ruler's fault when the kingdom goes up in flame but never the people who, generally, hold a good 60 to 70% of the blame.

How did Natalia's whole family kick the bucket again? Because having the father and brother dying in such quick succession start to feel suspicious...

Dex-chan lover
I totally agree with you. It's always a ruler's fault when the kingdom goes up in flame but never the people who, generally, hold a good 60 to 70% of the blame.

How did Natalia's whole family kick the bucket again? Because having the father and brother dying in such quick succession start to feel suspicious...
Also, in both series monsters have started reappearing through the wall when they hadn't for a very long time. That doesn't have much to do with the sword and hasn't been fully explained yet. I feel like we're forgetting that part of the equation too. Could be nothing but another thing to remember. All interesting stuff!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This chapter reminds me that much of the legend about Natalia, the sword and her family is based on embellishment, in both versions and that we don't really know what the sword can do. The stories of the sword are mostly fabrications, and it has not been used in 300 years.The walls had done all the protecting.

Yeah, which is not only typical of the nature around the very idea of "The divine Right of Kings" that both versions of this story is playing with, but has served as a means of keeping the monarchy in power.

But inevitably, years of isolation and insulation not only create a weakend royalty susceptible to it's own hype but has specifically created this situation by fueling a populace that has never really had to face its own fears and anxieties. Which, as we've seen, these monsters are the physical manifestation of.

At this point, I kind of feel like
not only Natalie , but the people themselves, might arguably be better off if she does choose Sara and puts them in a position of having to pacify the monsters of their own negativity themselves.

I totally wish we did get the original serialization pitch, as that would have been a pretty neat approach. Hopefully we do get to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread