The Reincarnated "Sword Saint" Wants to Take It Easy - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - 《Sword Saint》's Bodyguard

This is probably the lowest expectations I've ever had when starting to read a manga. Let's see how the story develops in the next 4-5 chapters. Hopefully it becomes good enough as to not earn a "dropped".

@madospicy Nah it's not. A lot of martial arts term that is not translated by their practitioner. It's not just because sounds cooler or whatever, but not to lose the essence of the meaning and to distinguish them from the another.

Wait wait wait... "Three years have passed since my death ... I've been working as a country knight for two years" so hes a 3 year old knight who started service at 1 y/o?

Group Leader
I'm a bit confused at where in the process someone thought that adjectives come after nouns. A "Saint Sword" to me sounds like a sword, that has Saintly properties. A "Sword Saint" (still a bit literal) is a saint guy who does sword stuff. Even the order of the kanji would be "Sword Holy". Even the japanese "official" title went with "Master Swordsman". Well, I don't care enough to make a fuss about extent of localization, but at least English goodly? Or explain where the word order came from?

@elephantNo5

Kensei (Japanese: 剣聖, sometimes rendered in English as Kensai, Ken Sai, Kensei, or Kenshei) is a Japanese honorary title given to a warrior of legendary skill in swordsmanship. The literal translation of kensei is "sword saint". Thus, the term is considered by some to imply a higher degree of perfection (possibly also encompassing a moral dimension) than the more commonly used kengo (剣豪) or "sword master".

Or so it seems, a sword saint is just way more skilled than a sword master

Dex-chan lover
@elephantNo5 I've always heard about "sword saint", first time reading about a "saint sword" i totally feel its wrongly translated.
@4altera Nah, its just to sound cooler. Weebs.
@Sylphie Is this your first reincarnation series? Its not like people who reincarnates always do as a newborn. If he is 12, then he reincarnated as a 9yo.
@Grumpyfelo Most likely monthly.
@OsoJr Well, at the age of 10 she won a tournament against adults and since then has never lost. Its not the same as subjugating monsters, but her feats arent normal either.

@Sylphie

I imagine it's like some of those reincarnation plots where he reincarnates into a body that's already a few years old, like say Maine in Ascendance of a Bookworm, or Katarina from Hamefura.

@BookQueen
@Laxius
Iris isn't arrogant but she is just frustrated at her current circumstances
(She has a reason she wants to become stronger and yet she's hit a wall in her development)

Iris' backstory (this will spoil half this arc)

Her father used to be called the [Strongest Knight] and was her role model. She wanted to grow up to be just like her father and surpass him in skill.
However, one day when the two were together but in their mansion grounds he was confronted with an assassin and killed in front of her.
Although she never got a look of the assassin's face she remembers her voice clearly and he told her that one day she will become strong enough to kill him.

I suspect the assassin just wants to fight a strong opponent and so they were trying to provoke her.

Anyways... her growth as been stunted because of this encounter. Alta explains her goal of becoming the [Strongest Knight] and her goal of [Wanting to be strong enough to exact revenge] was affecting her growth. Something about how she is subconsciously hesitating about wanting to become stronger and can't swing her sword with intent because of it. So he tells her she just needs to pick 1 of the two paths (both would let her become stronger).

Dex-chan lover
The art is pretty fucking impressive.
Also I noticed that he died 3 years ago and his current body is 12, so it looks like he took over some 9 year old's body.

Users who are viewing this thread