The Rising of the Shield Hero

don't tell me this manga gained popularity owing to its edgy MC and the equally edgelord anime audience who are here to get their own share of "owned the social justice warriors" moments

Fed-Kun's army
@wanstarz i think that is because they treat this world as a video game. They see everyone as NPC and doesn't give a fuck about their problem... Naofumi had things bad for him since day one and it probably helped him to see people like people instead npcs.

Fed-Kun's army
@ultimatehaki i remember back when i played ragnarok online on a private server, where everyone said that wizards were useless out wars because they had a high cast time and were vulnerable to "better classes". As a main mage i spent like 2 months researching and reading tons of foruns (back there was really hard to find things) until i had enough information to make a instant caster mage, it was another 2 months farming and dropping things to it, but until this day i still proud of the "cheater" nickname people gave me because they didn't know it was possible, they were so immersed on their basic builds that everything out of this was wrong. What i trying to say is that the other 3 guys "thinks" shield is a bad thing because they never saw anyone good enough with it, when it's very possible to exist very very powerful people using shield but it take time and effort and this 3 clearly doesn't like to make any

After watching the first episode of the Anime, I had my hopes up for a new real piece of work. I read the Manga but again, I just got disappointed. I think that authors of works with this kind of themes, simulating MMORPG games, really should have enough experience of this kind of games or at least ask for opinions of peoples with it and good taste of this games.
Story line's start is good enough, a new interesting idea but it becomes sloppy at middle. Events come out of blue and there is no logical theory over the whole created world. It seems that author finds good ideas at middle of work but is unable to connect them smoothly and logically.
Comparing with other works like "Loghorizen" or "SAO" it's far to catch up with expectations of a good work with other available experiences.
There was good potential points in the story, even if neglected, they show the good potential of Author.

Dex-chan lover
When I first read this manga it made me soooooo angry! I was so mad that the anger wouldn't go away. I knew it was from this too so I managed to keep it in check and warn the people around me, but rarely have I encountered a story that can connect with me enough that I can get caught on their rage and frustrations so heavily. I had to wait for the whole week for an update and a resolution that let me finally let my anger go. I think that was ch.10.

@mirza, Shield Hero is not supposed to be in a true MMORPG setting, the other 3 hero's are big MMO players, but our boy Naofumi actually goes out and does other stuff like read books, thus he does not have much experience in such environments and why he is clueless when it comes to certain MMO aspects. Like how he did not know to set Bitche as a party member so that he could get whatever EXP she attained from monster kills using the EXP share function. And then the argument about how to determine what weapon is the "best" to use out of the ones they had gathered, one said "rarity", another said something about "point value", and so on because that was the system in whatever MMO the other heroes were playing back in Japan.

A friend of mine recommended me this manga after hyping it up so much, and after reading 25 chapters, I fail to see the appeal. It seems super rushed, lack of character development, lack of real thought out plot or motive, or anything. It just seemed like the writer got a dartboard and threw a bunch of stuff at it to see what stuck. Or maybe he threw the entire dartboard, I'm not sure anymore, its just so edgy with the edgelord honing his edges. I must be getting old because I can't see why in the hell this is popular.

Oh may. Whats with this MC. Dumb to the bone. Its like his being NTR'ed over and over and its okey for him. Well I like ntr and its fun to see the MC being pathetic.

@Swiftending_
ur so right.

Users who are viewing this thread