The Saga of Tanya the Evil - Vol. 18 Ch. 51 - The Intervention Which Was Too Late II

Oh ghad... The long waiting is totally worth it! Already watch the anime 3x but DAMN! The manga is great... Thanks for translating

Dex-chan lover
I'm reminded of a book series where the protagonist could ask a spirit about what the best tactic at any one moment.

She uses her power to lead her meagre forces to join and take command of an entire beleaguered army, leading them to victory against an impossibly large army, and crushing them.

Only for the small regiment she commanded
to get betrayed and attacked by former allies, to wipe them out because of a petty inheritance claim.

It really reminds me of that.

Dex-chan lover
So awesome. Unfortunately this is the Empire's finest hour, but damn if it isn't incredibly fine (and wonderfully drawn and fleshed out by Toujou Chika sensei). What an operation and well laid out too under the circumstances, the advancement in thinking and strategy is great and feels consistent in-universe. So too though is the fact that even all this isn't actually enough to truly win, no matter how good the military tactics and strategy war is still part of politics and a means to a political end, and military gains can all too easily be thrown away by failing to tie up loose ends and political incompetence. It's great writing how success itself can become a trap.

Quite a few chapters behind now but each one is so meaty it can't be helped, so glad to still see this being translated.

Group Leader
This is just such a great manga.
Thanks for the hard work and doing an amazing job scanlating this gem.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Why would you attack infantry with StuG IIIs? Shouldn't Pz. IIIs be a better choice? Well, it's fiction, so it doesn't really matter. (I love the StuG).

Between the anime and the manga, I would still prefer the anime for this part, the way it was presented, in my opinion, was better. However, I do like how it was done here, I love seeing the antro-animals that represent each nation.

The amount of early victory celebration is making me kinda uneasy

Dex-chan lover
@Richman the StuG III was originally designed as an infantry support tank, and it was very effective in that role in the Battle of France, although it was only available in limited quantities at the time. It probably would have been much more prevalent than the Pz. III in that role had it been available in numbers.

Dex-chan lover
@Richman
Why would you attack infantry with StuG IIIs? Shouldn't Pz. IIIs be a better choice? Well, it's fiction, so it doesn't really matter. (I love the StuG).
Granted that it's hard to say because this series is off the rails at this point from our WWs, they've got an odd mix of technology and tactics from both WW1 and WW2 (both those tanks are WW2) because things are going a different way due to the presence of magic and Tanya leaking knowledge from an alternate future. However with that said I think it's still arguably justified, they had to punch through some armor and fortifications too at high speed, it wasn't like there was zero Francois beyond infantry they were just loose. The StuG is a great support tank in a mixed force. The point of the entire thing by this stage was grand strategy and speed, reproducing the Battle of Cannae with mechanized forces, not individual local superiority. So having a bunch of "jack of all trades" groups that would be suboptimal but adaptive to whatever makes sense.

Between the anime and the manga, I would still prefer the anime for this part, the way it was presented, in my opinion, was better.
Definitely can't agree with this :p! But I respect your opinion and I'm glad there is something for everyone. The next few chapters are pretty incredible too.

Dex-chan lover
About fucking time the French were fucked over. Now we can get to killing commies.

the Stug 3 is a panzer 3 with just a turret removed. The intended roll for the stug always was infantary support, the reason why the stug was built, was becuse it was significantly cheaper than a panzer 3. Also later in war it got a more capable gun, that also made it suitable for anti armor operation, compared to the panzer 3.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@Fushiginiku @zanonyn @graysock
You're all right, I completely forgot that the first StuGs had short cannons to take out buildings and deal with infantry, while the Pz. III was the tank that usually went against enemy armor, I got used to seeing the longer barrels and made the association of the StuG being a tank destroyer. I was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread