The Saga of Tanya the Evil

Fed-Kun's army
The artist really elavates this to another level. It turns this manga into its own thing instead of a rushed or bland adaptation like most of the isekai manga.

The adaptation story wise is great as well imo. The anime kind of sits well as it own thing but they really kind of streamlined things and the character designs have always irritated me and messed with the setting. This is so much better on just that grounds that I personally don't think it gets enough praise in comparison to the anime.

Its to bad this releases slow and the anime is probably gonna push way past this eventually.

Edit: ok kind of confused now. Is this really difficult to translate due to the length and typesetting structure? Went to check the raws and they are on ch 58 and are way past the anime at this point. I understand keeping a backlog to temper expectations but thats 10 chapters and its been 2 months. Ch49 was out 7 months ago. Sorry if I come off as rude but I was just surprised how far behind this was and figured this was a monthly release series but the release seems fairly normal if not bi weekly at the latest.

Man I really hate chapters like this where all they do is talk and nothing really happens.

Btw, this seems really similar to the movie?

Dex-chan lover
I've honestly avoided this series because I was under the impression that Tanya was a heinous villain leading the empire into complete dictatorship of the world. Following the story of a complete villain isn't something i'm down for. You can Probably guess how much of the summary I read (practically none of it, I just read the anime title "The Saga of Tanya the Evil").

Tanya is surprisingly endearing as a character. She definitely has more "evil" qualities than I'm comfortable with, but the reality is, she's just kind of an idiot. The MC cares only about her own well being. Anything she says, and anything she does, she does in accordance to the best ending for herself. Unfortunately, her attempts at manipulating the situation have always given her the exact opposite of what she wanted. Character interactions are nothing more than a huge mess of misunderstandings whenever it's between Tanya, and the people around her. She definitely has her sadistic moments and mannerisms, which also add onto the misunderstandings with her subordinates. The reality is, she's not being sadistic for pleasure, but because it's the most efficient way of getting the job done.

But also take what I said with a grain of salt. I'm on like, chapter 13. I will say what's turning me off are the "religious" moments. They're incredibly off putting to me.

I've been wondering... what if the thoughts produced by Tanya that we read, is just her subconscious and her actual conscious mind actually knows what it's doing? Like... trapped thoughts, because her actions seriously do not line up with what she thinks. I can actually see Carlo Zen doing something like that.

I really struggling to get into the manga since everything is practically different about it compared to the anime. The character design fucks with me the most tbh

Contributor
Lich Roland would be so proud of Tanya's foot shooting skills.

Dex-chan lover
hey lads, why dont you check this fanfic ive been reading while we wait for the next chapter to be scanlated
https://archiveofourown.org/works/20693519
it updates weekly

god its been two months im dying here, were like 4 chapters behind but i dont mind just feed my damned addiction pleaassee

Pretty average, really. Lots of war theory, if that’s your interest. The characters are pretty much always doing the same. The art style is okay, but very simplistic. Backgrounds are mainly traced from stock images, characters are flat and only have a few standard expressions and poses. Dialogue is the usual Japanese “throw everything at the reader and see if they think we’re amazingly insightful or not”. Story development is slow, character development is not really important. The protagonist’s intentions are constantly misinterpreted, which would be funny, if it wasn’t repeated ad nauseam and actually... well, funny.

Dex-chan lover
I could almost imagine a crack fic involving if Tanya ended up being summoned to the world of Strike Witches...
...with her battalion

Really just loving the idea that Visha dreams about Tanya and possibly doing something that earns her praise from her. Good shit

Dex-chan lover
@maisonaustyn I'm guessing it's the same reason the novel wasn't translated, as the novel was way to advanced to continue translating, so considering, I'd guess that the manga is quite the same, and therefore also just as difficult to translate

Users who are viewing this thread