The Saga of Tanya the Evil

why there's no group that translate the light novel??? this is series is god tier...

Double-page supporter
I can't get enough of this manga, superb illustrations and such details that makes you want to look into deeper. I am so glad I managed to get myself to read the manga after watching the anime.

Banned
I decided to read this because I loved the anime...

... but honestly, this was a disappointment. I saw the amount of chapters translated and figured surely the story had to be ahead of the anime here. NOPE. It is just long, drawn out, repetitive, and packed with filler. The manga art style seems out of place, and constantly shifts between normal mode, shoujo-mode and cartoony animals mode. It has a tendency to give long, drawn out explanations of every little thing repeated over and over again with slightly different wording... but still describing the same damned events.

It doesn't have anything like the tension that the anime had. Most of the conflict with Being X is absent. The action scenes are awkwardly drawn so it is tough to know what is even going on. The supposedly comedic misunderstandings are repeated often enough to an absolutely stupid extent... to the point where it seems the entire plot now hinges on them. You could count the number of times anyone in a conversation with Tanya did NOT misunderstand her on one fucking hand.

While it isn't "bad", and maybe my expectations were too high, this was still a let-down..... at least compared to the plainly superior anime.

Curious, has anyone read the WN/LN for this? I haven't started them yet and was wondering if they had been translated further than the manga - Thank you in advice for the replies and information.
I would start reading them but I'm currently reading so much else right now I feel I should just finish what I'm on and then check it out.

Double-page supporter
This series suffers the same problem of Overload and Knights & Magic where the manga is multiple magnitude above the quality of the anime.

The manga while considerably slower in progress has at least 10 times the content and quality. Honestly, I don’t even feel it worth wasting your time onto an anime that is inferior to its manga counterpart.

Group Leader
I like this artstyle but I'm split. The artstyle of the anime expresses the evil in Tanya... but this one looks cuter and better....

This really is a good adaptation of the light novel. Skythewood's original translations of the LN had tons of footnotes that helped clarify many of the terms used over the course of the story, but the official LN translation has very little in the way of these explanations. The manga is extremely convenient with its cartoonish illustrations that accurately explain the context of certain scenes. it really helps this story blossom in my opinion!

This is probably my biggest guilty pleasure manga. It really isn't like anything else I read, military stuff and political intrigue are both things I find painfully boring to read about. But something about this series just... makes it really fun! It takes itself very seriously at times, but knows when the sprinkle in a joke or two to lighten the mood. The disparity between Tanya's intentions and how she is perceived by everyone is truly spectacular and I really never get tired of it.

I'm very grateful to the dedicated translators that have worked on this series, it's a real gem and the translations are top notch :D

Dex-chan lover
After watching the season 1 anime, I lost all interest in Youjo Senki.
She should've just killed the useless superiors and take command.

Users who are viewing this thread