The science of manga covers

Im sure u all have probably head the term, dont judge a book by its cover. However, I have come to realize that most manga's with shit cover art, usually arent pulling in views, while the flashy art ones, pull in much more. for an example, I clicked on this shitty chinese wuxia manga, simply because the mc looked like fire. i avoid plain drawn manga covers, even if its not what the manga actually looks like. Lets use solo leveling as an example. Solo leveling is not the first of the ¨gate¨ genre. most people associate SL as being the first of its kind even tohught ehere are definetley older gate genres. people think of it as the first simply because of how it has a good story. The point of this thread is to mostly show that how good ur cover of the manga essentially DEFINES ur manga, and if people want to read the manga. I know a lot of great manga that dont have the best covers, but have excellent stories. I just think that mangadex should be able to solve this issue with a thing where if u hover ur mouse over the manga, it should pull up the desc. im no programming genius, and this may be unreasonable(this is probably super unreasonable). I just think this would be a excellent way because like everyone is lazy and clicking is mentally exhausting(a joke). I just think this would make it easier to filter out the clickbaity mangas from the real good ones.

Dex-chan lover
The fact that most Japanese mangas have cover art in the same style/quality as the rest of the manga, is one ofmy favorite things about the medium. It annoys me to no end when I click on chinese/japanese (or american) comics, only to see the art quality of the cover to be far, far, far better than enything in the comic. Personally? Fuck this shit, but I understand why it's there. I think that it would be best, if when browsing you don't see the cover, but a nice yet representative of the style image from the comic.

People judge by the cover because it's quicker, the cover is basically the bait to entice you to read. The people who are browsing by looking at the cover art will just ignore the description.

I agree that having the description their would be helpful, just not for the reason you suggest

aww man, I thought this was a forum about breaking down what makes a good cover for a manga.
The first thing I was gonna mention was having the cute girl with the big bazoongas on the cover. I KNOW IT IS A SIN, I just can't help myself but to check them out!
Like these!:
390e3fc1-a01f-4c3c-9159-df7b1157515b.jpg
9d7e4043-8ad4-40cf-8506-ef351754ca01.jpg
1a9aa8bf-f1d9-4e1f-b6bc-db5d0502d1a8.jpg

But BUT BUT there is also the goddamn WEIRD or very different manga covers. That arose a feeling of intrigue with the thought "what the hell"
aeb64eea-10a9-43a0-8d27-98cc31e22268.jpg
95c66538-a68c-4379-94be-0dc690d7d280.jpg
6550a7fa-464c-42a3-bf3e-2bb2b7c891cb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread