The Skeleton Soldier Failed to Defend the Dungeon - Vol. 1 Ch. 30

Dex-chan lover
@criver:
Okay. And?

I honestly don't care what they are doing with other manga, or what Trashscans does etc, it absolutely doesn't justify no-group doing what they did and starting this drama at all, there can be no beneficial result from it. The only possible result they could be trying to get out of this is to hurt or even destroy Trashscans which is something I absolutely can't condone, two wrongs do not make a right.

You don't like Trashscans? Don't support them.
You like Trashscans? Support them.
If you don't like them, at least don't attack them simply because of some people choosing to support them despite you thinking they shouldn't do so. I'm definitely not on Trashscan's side here, before you jump to that conclusion - I'm simply utterly against what no-group is doing here.

Dex-chan lover
@Amplify: What is there to justify? The guys released 5 chapters in a row because trash were taking their sweet time catching up waiting for enough donations to speed up releases. If anything they did the readers a service, whereas trash was doing them a disservice. It's not no group that's destroying trash, it's Dru's lies, threats, and shady practices. I am not attacking them, I am stating the facts as they are, anybody can make a conclusion for himself from the provided material. I am also unsure what you are 'utterly against' that 'no-group is doing here'. They did the readers a service.

Dex-chan lover
@criver:
Very short term, they did a service.
The long term damage however, is a complete disservice.

How exactly does it matter if Trash were purposely being slow waiting for donations etc, how exactly does that justify this intervention? If you don't like it, don't donate - if not enough people donate for Trashscan's liking, too bad for them. My primary problem here is the releasing of chapters for series they are working on, but more importantly the note and stuff that were left in those chapters directly attacking them.

You want to warn people that Trashscans have bad business practices and don't deserve donation money? Fine, go do that on reddit or in the chapter comments of their releases or in the forums or whatever, but this bullshit with no-group jumping in mid translation and releasing a batch of chapters with that excuse that Trashscan's is being "too slow" is not acceptable. This is not going to magically speed up overall translation rates more across the board long term, compared to if this drama hadn't been started by no-group.

There's a number of ways things can go now from this point:
1: No group does not continue translating beyond this publicity stunt, Trashscans continue on as they were. - The status quo, what was even the fucking point of the drama? It's not going to magically make them translate faster.
2: No group does not continue translating beyond this publicity stunt, Trashscans says "fuck it" and stops bothering with the series and translates other stuff instead. - The worst case scenario, how dedicated will no-group be? Trashscans were at least shown to get the job done at a fairly steady rate if nothing else and if this random intervention group gets bored and stops then basically the readers are screwed. No-group have made a rod for their own backs with this, I have my doubts over their long term dedication.
3: No group does continue translating, Trashscans continue on as they were as well. - An utter waste of time, two groups fighting over one series when there's so many good manga out there crying for a translator group to work on them.
4: No group does continue translating, Trashscans says "fuck it" and stops bothering with the series and translates other stuff instead. - Pretty much the same effect could have been achieved by no-group simply going to translate any one of the thousands of abandoned manga projects out there, except without the whiny bitchfits going on in the comments of these last five chapters.

There can be no good to come out of this, there is no justification for the drama or good result possible. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Contributor
Shocking stunt drama with no damage
one person say doing a service is wrong and hurt in long term
totally don't care about the picture of a shady bs
(Do not like Trashscans Do not support them.
like Trashscans Support them.)
but will care about the attacking and intervention of certain group
(their fault to translate thing someone else doing with delay and bad quality)

one person say a certain group is doing shady bs with complete control over it by some means
( https://www.reddit.com/r/scanlationdrama/comments/9kabkw/trash_scans_needs_to_stop_lying/

https://mangadex.org/chapter/457768/1 )
and not a right thing to do
(why translate already translate chapter but not the next chapter)

a report from Mine at 459587. Reporter at Mangadex, Minezuki

Dex-chan lover
@Amplify:
The long term damage however, is a complete disservice.
There's no long term damage.

How exactly does it matter if Trash were purposely being slow waiting for donations etc, how exactly does that justify this intervention?
How does it matter that a group is purposefully slowing down releases to get money, while threatening other groups that want to release faster? I wonder.
What's more nobody needs to justify translating something, it's not licensed by any of the groups, so it's not owned by any of those.

more importantly the note and stuff that were left in those chapters directly attacking them.
The community was whining about snipping. No-group could have easily not given any justification whatsoever if they wanted, but they decided to explain the situation. They provided facts. It's not no-group that's attacking anybody, they just brought to light how trash operates. I am sure patrons and readers alike are interested as to where the money goes, and why the releases are behind schedule. It's Dru's lies and shady tactics that are hurting trash, not no-group. They just brought to light a bigger underlying issue.

this bullshit with no-group jumping in mid translation and releasing a batch of chapters with that excuse that Trashscan's is being "too slow" is not acceptable.
It is more than acceptable, it is desirable.

This is not going to magically speed up overall translation rates more across the board long term, compared to if this drama hadn't been started by no-group.
But it already did speed up translation rates. No-group provided the latest chapters in a fraction of the time that trash took. That by definition is a speedup, and a speedup of a few times at that. Trash's subsequent release of these low quality chapters was unnecessary by all means.

1: No group does not continue translating beyond this publicity stunt, Trashscans continue on as they were. - The status quo, what was even the fucking point of the drama? It's not going to magically make them translate faster.
And you're a bunch of chapters ahead, a win situation.

2: No group does not continue translating beyond this publicity stunt, Trashscans says "fuck it" and stops bothering with the series and translates other stuff instead. - The worst case scenario, how dedicated will no-group be? Trashscans were at least shown to get the job done at a fairly steady rate if nothing else and if this random intervention group gets bored and stops then basically the readers are screwed. No-group have made a rod for their own backs with this, I have my doubts over their long term dedication.
Trash are only interested in money, so the manga would be dropped at the drop of a hat if there is not enough interest from patrons either way, even if we assume that your submissive reasoning is consistent. You may lack a backbone, and may be ready to lick their boots if they TL for you and throw shit at anybody else trying to disrupt their 'ownership' of the manga, but I am not. I don't think anybody should bend over and side with them just because they promised him they will TL this till the end. It's a matter of principles.

3: No group does continue translating, Trashscans continue on as they were as well. - An utter waste of time, two groups fighting over one series when there's so many good manga out there crying for a translator group to work on them.
I don't see no-group TLing already translated chapters. They very clearly stated that this is to make trash speed up their releases, and that goal was achieved. As for Dru making his team translate the already translated chapters in low quality, that's on him.

4: No group does continue translating, Trashscans says "fuck it" and stops bothering with the series and translates other stuff instead. - Pretty much the same effect could have been achieved by no-group simply going to translate any one of the thousands of abandoned manga projects out there, except without the whiny bitchfits going on in the comments of these last five chapters.
At least trash won't be slowing down releases for the manga in this case.

There can be no good to come out of this, there is no justification for the drama or good result possible. Two wrongs do not make a right.
Two good things have come out of this already: the release of a number of chapters, and the publicity to trash's methods - most notably the fact that they threaten other groups, and that such threats should be ignored. Also the patrons will know what they are paying for, and the readers would know what kind of trash they are supporting. I detailed the justification in the paragraphs above as to why this was necessary. And I do not consider translating a number of chapters, to speed up releases a wrong. You are free to disagree obviously.

Dex-chan lover
@criver:
Replying to overly massive walls of text is not my idea of a good way to spend my free time, so this will probably be my last message on the subject.

"There's no long term damage."
There will either be long term damage or there will be next to no damage, but there will be no good caused by the drama. That's what I keep trying to get across to you.

"How does it matter that a group is purposefully slowing down releases to get money, while threatening other groups that want to release faster? I wonder.
What's more nobody needs to justify translating something, it's not licensed by any of the groups, so it's not owned by any of those."
So either accept that releases are slower than you would like, or completely ignore them and translate yourself faster. That's how a competitive market works, if you think you can do better then go do better, but at least have the decency to not attack the other side in the process.

"The community was whining about snipping. No-group could have easily not given any justification whatsoever if they wanted, but they decided to explain the situation. They provided facts. It's not no-group that's attacking anybody, they just brought to light how trash operates. I am sure patrons and readers alike are interested as to where the money goes, and why the releases are behind schedule. It's Dru's lies and shady tactics that are hurting trash, not no-group. They just brought to light a bigger underlying issue."
Then maybe they shouldn't be snipping then, huh? It's one thing if a group is a piece of shit, but being a piece of shit yourself in an attempt to warn others than the first group is a piece of shit doesn't justify being a piece of shit.

"It is more than acceptable, it is desirable."
Oh well I guess that makes everything okay then!
- Osama Bin Laden, on the WTC collapse
- Adolf Hitler, on the holocaust of the Jewish people
I'm taking it to an extreme length here obviously, but you saying X is acceptable does not make X acceptable.
"But it already did speed up translation rates. No-group provided the latest chapters in a fraction of the time that trash took. That by definition is a speedup, and a speedup of a few times at that. Trash's subsequent release of these low quality chapters was unnecessary by all means."
A speedup is a consistent release rate, over an extended period of time. A one time release of 5 chapters and nothing after it is not speeding the train up, it is derailing the train.

"And you're a bunch of chapters ahead, a win situation."
And now we could very well end up with no chapters at all for the foreseeable future, or quality is sacrificed for speed, or we could end up with two groups wasting their efforts fighting over one series, or very erratic release rates or anything else. All of these are losing situations in the long term and better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.

"Trash are only interested in money, so the manga would be dropped at the drop of a hat if there is not enough interest from patrons either way, even if we assume that your submissive reasoning is consistent. You may lack a backbone, and may be ready to lick their boots if they TL for you and throw shit at anybody else trying to disrupt their 'ownership' of the manga, but I am not. I don't think anybody should bend over and side with them just because they promised him they will TL this till the end. It's a matter of principles."
So let them drop it for lack of money and then instantly pick up the series from them, translating it at a faster rate. Is that not what you want? Show them no support, let them quit, take over and do a better job. I don't give a shit about Trashscans and two weeks ago I didn't even know they existed, my trust or liking of them is plus/minus zero, while my impression of no-group is in the negatives. I cannot trust a group that picks a fight and stirs shit in this way.

"I don't see no-group TLing already translated chapters. They very clearly stated that this is to make trash speed up their releases, and that goal was achieved. As for Dru making his team translate the already translated chapters in low quality, that's on him."
Let me explain how a larger group to you in simple terms so maybe you can finally grasp it, since I've spent thousands of hours with scanlation myself:
Chapters go up onto a group share like Google docs or whatever else, where each chapter has a line and each series has a tab (or some similar setup). Each relevant member of the group takes a chapter that's at a stage of completion that they are ready to handle, with cleaners taking raw pages, redrawers taking cleaned pages, typesetters taking the redrawn pages and the translation doc and typesetting the pages, the QCer giving it a final check and then releasing etc. It's one step shy of trying to herd cats and it's about the best you can hope for if no link of the chain goes on holiday right when it's their turn or whatever else.
What Trashscans have released looks very much to me like the chapters while they were 60% or 80% done or whatever else, rather than just throw them out they released where those chapters were roughly up to after throwing their hands in the air and saying "fuck it".

"At least trash won't be slowing down releases for the manga in this case."
How would they be slowing down no-group in any which way? If anything, this shitstorm that no-group are stirring up with their credits pages is wasting them time that could have been used to scanlate additional chapters, if they are truly that concerned about release rates.

"Two good things have come out of this already: the release of a number of chapters, and the publicity to trash's methods - most notably the fact that they threaten other groups, and that such threats should be ignored. Also the patrons will know what they are paying for, and the readers would know what kind of trash they are supporting."
A one time release of a number of chapters is not a long term plan of a quick release schedule, I am not so stupid to believe that as I'd rather a slow but steady release rate that gets there eventually, than a one time release rate with the series being dropped soon after entirely. The second one absolutely did not require any of this and does not justify any of this. An eye for an eye, leaves everyone blind.

"I detailed the justification in the paragraphs above as to why this was necessary. And I do not consider translating a number of chapters, to speed up releases a wrong. You are free to disagree obviously."
It's not to speed things up, I will consider us lucky if we even come out of the other side of this shit with a comparable release rate at the end of the day. No-group could have also just as easily picked up a dropped series and polished it until it became popular much like Turnip Farmers did with Kingdom, if No-group truly cared about manga and scanlation then they'd never resort to poaching.
I've seen too much of this shit over the past decade I've been around this community for, and not once have I seen a good ending to this scenario - the closest I've seen was a neutral ending where overall the status quo was maintained and a lot of hurt feelings were left on both sides.

This sort of drama is half of why I quit and now the main series I used to work on hasn't had a single update on it in over 4 years. The other half is the same sort of whining I'm seeing right now against Trashscans, with people whining that the free chapters they're getting aren't fast enough / good enough for them.

Dex-chan lover
@Amplify:
I would be concise this time around, since you seem to read and consider arguments selectively.
Your whole argument seems to hinge on your idea that if trash's feelings get hurt they may drop the manga, and that this is unacceptable since you'll lose your source of fun. On the other hand I don't think anybody should bend over just because he's at risk of losing his form of entertainment. Trash don't have any more right to the manga than no-group so your meatshielding is ridiculous at best. Translating something that somebody else is translating doesn't make you a piece of shit either, maybe in your eyes it does, but generally it doesn't. Lying, threatening, and shady practices for profit on the other hand, do make one a piece of shit. Would it be optimal for the readers of this specific manga if no-group just did a joint release with trash? Most likely. There is no reason however for anybody to support trash's predatory practices, so the actions taken were more than adequate.

You can stop reading here if you want, the rest is just me addressing your ridiculous points.

Your quote of "It is more than acceptable, it is desirable." and the following ridiculous examples are pretty ironic. Since my quote was a reply to this:
this bullshit with no-group jumping in mid translation and releasing a batch of chapters with that excuse that Trashscan's is being "too slow" is not acceptable.
You saying that X is unacceptable doesn't make it unacceptable, see this goes both ways. On the other hand I provided arguments why it is acceptable and you failed to do so. Trash have not licensed the manga, they only lie occasionally that they will translate something.

What Trashscans have released looks very much to me like the chapters while they were 60% or 80% done or whatever else, rather than just throw them out they released where those chapters were roughly up to after throwing their hands in the air and saying "fuck it".
They obviously wasted additional time on this, further confirming my point, that it is not the reader that is important to them, or the quality, but the fact that their stamp is on the credit page.

How would they be slowing down no-group in any which way? If anything, this shitstorm that no-group are stirring up with their credits pages is wasting them time that could have been used to scanlate additional chapters, if they are truly that concerned about release rates.
They were being slow on the releases on purpose, as already documented. I didn't say that they are slowing down no-group either, learn to read. I said that they are slowing down the releases of the manga on purpose. People need to know what prompted this, that's why it is in the credits. Other groups, patrons, and readers would be aware not to support trash.

This sort of drama is half of why I quit and now the main series I used to work on hasn't had a single update on it in over 4 years. The other half is the same sort of whining I'm seeing right now against Trashscans, with people whining that the free chapters they're getting aren't fast enough / good enough for them.
Trash deserves all of the shit they are getting, it's a consequence of their own actions after all. They have already shown that they are using the manga just to milk donations. Also no one is beyond critique, the critique is deserved too, so it looks more like you meatshielding, rather than people whining without a reason.

I don't have much to add. You're simply scared shitless that a group with questionable practices will drop a manga that it's using as a hostage to milk donations, while purposely slowing down releases to milk more. However you being scared is not a compelling argument for people to close their eyes and shut their ears to whatever trash is doing. Trash got called on their bs and rightly so. You think their patrons don't care about the fact that they are purposely slowing down releases, or sitting on translated stuff and milking the patrons? You think other groups don't care that they threaten others with DMCA, so they won't pick up a manga? Trash brought this upon themselves.

P.S. Seems I was not very concise, but it's hard with the amount of bs your type.

Dex-chan lover
@criver:
Well I can keep it concise:
The ends do not justify the means no matter how you try to spin it, you deceptious moron.

Dex-chan lover
@Amplify:
You probably don't realize the irony of your comment. It is you that is arguing that any means are fine as long as you get your chapters, no matter whether trash lies, threatens or uses any other methods. I am arguing that these guys are not beyond critique and you are meatshielding for them. Grow a backbone and stop bending over for any group that promises to translate the manga you like till the very end. Others are not to blame that trash is acting like trash. They reap what they sowed.

Dex-chan lover
@criver:
No I am not you disingenuous POS, I'm saying that you don't get to take a moral high ground if you are just as bad or worse than the person(s) you are complaining about.

None of the bullshit you've been spewing for the last day to me is remotely accurate or reasonable, the way you're framing this entire debacle is that you would be perfectly happy if no manga ever got translated again, just as long as nobody acted like Trashscans again in the process. As bad as you say Trashscans are, they're not acting worse than you and no-group are doing right now. You're in full on "It's not about the manga, it's about sending a message" mode here, and I'm not content to watch the manga world burn thanks.

Dex-chan lover
@Amplify:
As I said no backbone, go lick trash's boots some more. It's not about sending a message, it's about stating things as they are, it's called transparency. You want people to intentionally hide how low trash has fallen not to hurt their feelings. Guess what snowflake, not everybody is as spineless as you are. All of the things I have said are pretty accurate, there's evidence to back up trash's misdeeds, you are just not happy that they got called out on it, because you risk not being able to read your manga. But that's not a valid argument against criticism.

Dex-chan lover
@criver:
At first you were all "this is a good thing because it makes Trash release faster!"
Now you're in full on backpedaling with "if you want to read their releases you're licking their boots."

The thing that is most frustrating about people like you is just the fact that you seem completely unaware how much damage you do to your own cause, it's actually mind boggling. So this is a direct message from me, Amplify, a former scanlator:
Stop talking about this issue for the love of god, stop doing anything that you're doing. Crawl in a hole and read a comic book, I dunno, watch Glow on Netflix, just literally stay out of the discourse because you're a walking recruitment ad for the other side. You're arrogant, you're a cunt, go away PLEASE.
I'm done with this thread, don't bother @ ing me again.

Dex-chan lover
@Amplify:

Seems your understanding is also selective. The reason I am saying that you're ready to lick their boots, is because you literally are, you're arguing that they shouldn't be criticized. Nobody is beyond critique, and it is well deserved in this case. They started releasing faster a number of manga so it was also indeed a good thing. My statement about you bending over for any group, and them releasing faster have nothing to do with each other.
I am damaging "my cause"? You don't have the first idea what "my cause" is, because you're too preoccupied thinking of ways to meatshield, rather than try and understand what I am saying.
I won't go away either just because you need a safe space and cannot accept to hear facts. It's dishonest advocating shady practices, but here we are arguing over something that's obviously wrong. Grow some balls and some principles.

So either accept that releases are slower than you would like, or completely ignore them and translate yourself faster. That's how a competitive market works, if you think you can do better then go do better, but at least have the decency to not attack the other side in the process.
Exactly @Amplify, I'm glad we're all on the same page: no-group didn't like that trash was slow, so they translated the chapters faster themselves, and pointed out why they did so, simply stating facts, rather than attacking trash.
Then maybe they shouldn't be snipping then, huh? It's one thing if a group is a piece of shit, but being a piece of shit yourself in an attempt to warn others than the first group is a piece of shit doesn't justify being a piece of shit.
...Wait, what? You just said it was fine to snipe chapters if you didn't like how slow they're being released, and now you're saying that it's not, and no-group is a piece of shit for doing it? I'm confused.

I'm being facetious here, but I honestly don't understand how in one line you can say to translate faster yourself if you don't like it (aka sniping,) and then in the next line say that you shouldn't be sniping, and it's a shitty thing to do.

Also, congratulations on satisfying Godwin's law.

Power Uploader
Everybody always labels themselves as a self-proclaimed former scanlator...

Why is everybody talking about the translation groups and not the manhwa?

Did the authhor forget, that he gave the Skeleton a Speed ability that literally quadruples his speed?

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't that obvious when this knight wore a skirt??
And why does a skeleton make voices while fighting like "eeeukkk"???

It's been a long time to find out that the arguing on the comment section to be more interesting than the chapter itself lol.

Users who are viewing this thread