The Skeleton Soldier Failed to Defend the Dungeon - Vol. 1 Ch. 54

Dex-chan lover
@SuppeBargeld Yeah, but I dislike it when an author makes such a statement and then proceeds to make it unlikely. Which is why I'll just go forward and deny it.

But then again, maybe she indeed is the strongest necromancer alive. The better ones actually succeeded in becoming liches and thus aren't alive anymore. She's just half-assedly stuck between life and unlife.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme

I dunno, I don't think there's really too much reason to not believe she's the strongest (as of now), when the comment was made by part of the Emperor's guard, IDing her by name instead of just someone gawking at her power. She also had basically an entire chapter+ of power showing-off super powerful abilities, which seems like the kind of thing an author would do to their pet OP Necro character. It kinda makes me think of Mihawk in One Piece, he shows up super early in the series to show off some power and then scoots off forever, but to this day he's still the strongest swordsman in One Piece.

Wrt it being weird that someone could just hire the strongest necromancer in the world and comparing it to trying to hire the president of the top adventurer's guild, keep in mind that nobody actually tried to hire her specifically, they just tried to hire the assassin guild and she picked up the job when everyone else had a case of cold feet, because she had something to gain from it. But also, she's not a regular enlisted member of the assassin guild since she's an "honorary member", which is the kind of title an organization gives you when they actively seek you out because of your achievements.

Plus, she's identified as one of "the Three" instead of as someone from the assassin's guild, meaning that she still has more notability and achievements that the author hasn't revealed yet. It's possible that usually the assassin's guild is beneath her grade usually, but she just decided to pick up this job as a way to gain access to battlefields where the corpses of "heroes" (and probably demons) reside.

It's always possible the series goes on longer than the author expects and he needs to write up a stronger necro, but idk I just don't feel like that's the plan at this point.

Dex-chan lover
@Salfaro You have very convincing arguments there. I failed to pay attentino to the fact she really loves to create powerful, named underlings, so it makes sense she would need to go around to gather material. Thus the mission itself might have been of lesser interest to her, compared to finding suitable candidates to turn into undead beings among the imperial entourage. I did sell her short. Though that being said, I still find it most of the time suspicious when someone is claimed to be the strongest of anything.

Dex-chan lover
Somehow the arc does feel awkwardly bad. Maybe because I don't feel any attachment to the necrogirl? Seeing her kill all those people who were just fighting to protect the prince (doing their jobs) and their own lives, just because some douche accepted a murder request, I just thought 'I really wish she would lose.' They lived, loved, longed for years just to die in a few minutes in this dirt hole, Just because she wants to take. Are we supposed to like her, like thief girl, that also murdered people for her own gains?

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme Yeah that's fair, especially when it comes to what's basically just a random Korean webtoon I can see the desire to not trust the author that much when they ham up how powerful someone is. I guess I feel more trusting here because I feel like that's more of an issue with antagonists that the MC needs to beat up+overcome in the immediate future, vs temporary acquaintances like necrogirl, and even if she does become an antagonist this arc, this webtoon has the get-out-of-jail free card where the MC doesn't actually need to be able to overcome his strong opponents because he can just die instead and start a new arc where he just avoids them until later on.

Dex-chan lover
Now we have a problem because everything before looks like it was the tutorial of a baby's first MMORPG and suddenly we're in a lv 20 D&D campaign

Users who are viewing this thread