The Skeleton Soldier Failed to Defend the Dungeon - Vol. 1 Ch. 59

ks2xoKC.gif

@nfzeta
Sorry, I misunderstood you and thought that you said that the dog was trying to warn him about the intruder and did it wrong, so it wasn't MC's fault, but now I understand that you didn't. Nonetheless the fact that the dog was under his control is supported by many things. It's true that MC couldn't have known most of them, but that's not the point here. For example how the cub reacted after the opening of the door, how he went toward the intruder, how the panel about lost connection was showed after it died and not after the troll or what I'll write in the third paragraph (as it's related to your third paragraph).

I meant that MC was *sure* that no one could follow him, but for the rest you are right.

Well, I've no idea what control is because the dog has never been under his control, but I thought that it's a basic thing to know how a resource, of any kind, works. He had 10 and used 10 he remains with 0, he was already without of control all the time. Or maybe he doesn't know how to do subtractions. I mean he was never shown to understand what the numbers on the status were, why they decrease if the person takes an hit, understand what's a counter or how to handle money, right? On the other hand if what he tried to understand was how much control was needed for a troll or if the control regenerated and how fast, no complain. The same if it happened last ch after he took control of the cub, but when it's put there it looks like it only happened so that the author could hype Gil up, but you're right it's my assumption, but I still wouldn't put an hype after showing how many thing MC still has to learn mentally.

I didn't mean that the one of the spatial rift was following, he probably has no reason to do so after he let MC go. What I meant is that if something OP like creating a spatial rift is possible, it's not that big to assume that someone has the ability to check the surrounding space, but you'd be right to say that that's meta-knowledge. "thinking someone is always able to and will get you" he just killed the emperor (his party did). If it doesn't happens now, when?

"That's how you'd die." I told you "I'm not that intelligent", so yeah, I can see that happening. It's still not nice of you to say that, but thank you for warning me. What I actually meant, though, was that I'd learn about that stuffs even before going in any dungeon or have an adventure, you may find killed adventures with their equipment or, maybe, treasures or cursed traps. And not taking her armor doesn't means he can't take the trashiest one out there as that's less risky and should still be a good armor. Or hide her armor somewhere and then go to a populated town to blend in and learn more about that stuffs.

You are right that it can mean a lot of reasons, but it's not normal. About not being sure, it's stupid when one is not sure to assume the thing that they want to happen the most, and that's what MC did. Many people actually do that, but this doesn't change anything. Mine was obviously an assumption as that was an argument about why *I* would really not bring it along, particularly after that light. What I meant with unusable is that going around with an armor you stole that started blinking only afterward *can* mean that that's what stolen treasures do. If this is known than he can only meet outlaws with that armor. Obviously he can hide it and search for a way to change that, but it'd be suspicious. But I repeat that this was I would have considered a reasonable possibility (among many others). That's because if one has a treasure the first thing they usually do is make sure nobody can't steal it or that is unusable when stolen.

Fed-Kun's army
@ShinobuOshino
That could have easily been the dog just acting like a dog after that. The fact the dog had barked at him before even realising there was an intruder also served to throw him off.

I meant that MC was *sure* that no one could follow him, but for the rest you are right.
He wasn't 'sure' he just believed he was relatively safe. Its even in how it was worded.

Well, I've no idea what control is because the dog has never been under his control...
Contradicting your first paragraph here. Also he believed he was out of 'control' only after trying to raise the troll, and that idea was enforced by the dog barking at him. That was as far as the whole ruminations about the 'control' stat went.
He was also shown to be learning a lot of those things, and implied to have learned others. This whole arc was basically him not knowing what was going on, this isn't a deviation from the norm in any way. It was just another way to show the opening of the world and the powerful people out there and therefore how much a frog in a well the MC still is.

I didn't mean that the one of the spatial rift was following... If it doesn't happens now, when?
I wasn't limiting it to just him either, the point was instead that if anyone could follow him like that, he has nothing in the way of abilities to prevent it and therefore worrying about it would be mute, especially since it seems anyone with that level of power can easily kill him. He took what he considered to be appropriate precautions by distancing himself and aiming for a deserted area to lay low in.

"That's how you'd die." I told you "I'm not that intelligent", so yeah, I can see that happening. It's still not nice of you to say that, but thank you for warning me.
It wasn't really meant like that, we don't deal with those types of stuff so at most its something you'd only apply in games.

In that case then he would be better off forgetting the armour altogether and just looking for some poor guy to rob, the cost benefit is only worth it if you take the strong one, at least the cost/benefit he was aware of, as he didn't know about the GPS. As said, they were all royal knights so its even easier to be identified when wearing standard royal knight armour than a unique armour, has a lot less 'brand recognition' that way. Hiding the armour as you suggest is also a fairly weak option as if you're not going to use it in any foreseeable future then its better to leave it, as then there would be less of a trace that someone survived. If you're being cautious enough to try to figure out 'everything' about an armour before using it then its better to just not covet such things in the first place, because you'll never know everything, and trying to know anything would be a great risk in and of itself. You can't exactly go around asking about a one of a kind armour or any armour of that calibre without raising eyebrows.

You are right that it can mean a lot of reasons, but it's not normal. About not being sure, it's stupid when one is not sure to assume the thing that they want to happen the most, and that's what MC did.
That's not what the MC did at all. He may have not went full paranoid mode but that's what happens when you can't even be sure something happened in the first place. The only reason he was sure in the shed was because it was in a closed room where it stood out. Light from an armour, especially when just seen out of the corner of your vision could be so many things, from something as simple as reflection. Heck, he couldn't even be sure that the armour was what shone and it wasn't just he himself.

What I meant with unusable is that going around with an armor you stole that started blinking only afterward *can* mean that that's what stolen treasures do.
First, he didn't know that it only lit up afterward, that's another reader thing. It could also mean a plethora of other things, it could even be a warning system for its wearer, so you can't really limit possibilities on an armour that special, and that's assuming he was sure about the light. You're using reader knowledge and meta knowledge to assume and limit possibilities but then berating the MC for using his knowledge to narrow down possibilities or even keeping them open.

But I repeat that this was I would have considered a reasonable possibility (among many others). That's because if one has a treasure the first thing they usually do is make sure nobody can't steal it or that is unusable when stolen.
The among many others part is what you seemed to be ignoring before. Also that isn't a reliable assumption of what people do, at least not to this extent you're assuming, the first thing is identifying what makes it a treasure in the first place, and when its a armour the first thing after identifying its use is to actually try it out. Its only when its usefulness is confirmed as treasure worthy that people think about the ways to keep it for themselves. However things like a GPS tracker on an armour isn't usually within the methods jumped too, because its something you keep on your person and therefore if someone can get it you're usually already dead. If anything a more useful choice would be just to find a way to bound the item to yourself, where you'd need to be killed for someone else to take and use it.

@nfzeta
I feel that we are going a bit out of scope here and the answers are growing a bit too much, but the others seem they are enjoying the film as they are not interrupting it. Moreover it would be impolite to not answer such a lengthy message as it should have taken a bit to just write it.

Contradicting your first paragraph here
You're actually right, I didn't notice. What I meant in the first was that he was under his control as the dog behaved as it did before the troll it's more "loyal" than "control" (as that's what "control" looks like to be) I was trying to answer the phrase of your first paragraph...
possibly because after trying to raise the troll he ran out of control and therefore the dog was no longer under his control
... while I was assuming the dog was under his control before. But there you were talking about how I shouldn't assume that the dog should have done anything but what he did in the manga and about that I answered that I said that because I misunderstood you, so the point would be if the dog actually changed behavior or not. Thus if that possibility is actually there and if it's up to interpretation the reason why the dog barked at him (hostility or warning). I was just trying to argue why I misunderstood what you said, let's ignore this matter as it's not the point and those messages are already lengthy and was clearly my fault for talking about not relevant stuffs.

On the other hand in the third I meant that it wasn't actual "control" for the same reason MC said the same thing in the prev. ch. So I can't say what the author meant with that word and didn't do an external assumption on that. The point of your prev. message was that I was making an assumption while I answered saying that I used the same basic stuffs MC was shown to use before and MC should have been able to realize that if you have 10 and use 10 you are left with 0, independently of what we are speaking about. MC caught a bit of dementia, let's hope he'll recover quickly. [Idiot Ball on TV Tropes]

Also he believed he was out of 'control' only after trying to raise the troll
That's exactly why I said that it was bad writing. It seemed that was like that just to hype Gil up as MC is usually able to understand how resources work, so I can't see why he wasn't there. It may have been a coincidence, but I've read enough manga and enough of such "coincidences" that it seem a bit too forced to me. But considering how easy it would have been to make that deed better (trying to check how much it was for a troll) than I guess it was intentional. I still consider it to be pretty stupid on MC's part though.

It was just another way to show [...]
Yeah, but that's not a reason to make to MC more stupid. I've seen it done in many mangas and I know it can be hard to avoid doing that, but it's still bad writing.

It wasn't really meant like that, we don't deal with those types of stuff so at most its something you'd only apply in games.
Oh, no, I didn't mean IRL neither. I meant hypothetically speaking, I don't like criticizing manga without trying to think of something better and discovering that my plan is not that good was useful and interesting. Still reading the start of a reply with "That's how you'd die." throw me off a bit.

it could even be a warning system for its wearer
I didn't think of that. More than reader knowledge and meta knowledge I was using stupidity. I still think that doing experiments on unknown things is better done in a calmer time and thus hide it. About MC not being sure of that, the author could say something better than "I swear this armor emitted light right now. Perhaps it was just my imagination" I don't know if this is the translation, but the second phrase doesn't follow the first one. You swear if you are sure, not if you don't know, maybe, kinda. If you make him say that he is sure and afterward he ignores it anyway it really seems the story is being railroaded.

where you'd need to be killed for someone else to take and use it
Not sure I'd do that if I were you. It's better to be alive without an armor than killed because that's the only way to steal it. It's like you are forcing the opponent to kill you even if they had no reason to do so. But that would greatly depend on what the alternatives are, the social situation, your abilities and what would happen to them if they additionally kill you. For example instead of sneaking in your camp while you are camping outside for work, they'd need to additionally need to poison you and take it. I'm not so sure that killing the you underhandedly would make it that much harder than just stealing it.

because its something you keep on your person and therefore if someone can get it you're usually already dead
I didn't thought of that, but my point still holds. It's not so that I could take the armor back, but as a deterrent to lower the gain of a thief by making the object worth a way less. In this way they wouldn't try to begin with and I'd also get my revenge if they are not good enough to deactivate the eventual curse or whatever I placed there.

Hiding the armour as you suggest is also a fairly weak option as if you're not going to use it in any foreseeable future then its better to leave it
Mmh... you're right. I was trying to find a solution about keeping that or an other armor somehow, but I guess my original plan of leaving it there was actually better. About getting info I thought about more general stuffs like which protections against robbery/steal are usually used (to eventually protect myself), some kind of apprisal, how to know that someone is not trying to sell me a cursed item or what to do if I found something in a dungeon. That may not find that romantic lover finder, but would be a better start to check the usual things rather than nothing. I'm not taking about knowing everything, but at least check something before taking a treasure, not blindly like that.

has a lot less 'brand recognition' that way
I don't know, it depend on how much she was around for, if there are old soldiers scattered around who knew her, if she appeared a lot in public with her armor and if she traveled in small villages when going on mission. One person is enough when the voice that she died is spread. On the other hand with a knight armor you just have to invent a realistic story and search for an other armor in the meanwhile. There are even cases of knights going out alone, like the dude that is about to kill MC. In case of real knights you'd have trouble either armor you pick.

funny to see people say skelly it's stupid because he took a armor so "some guy" can snitch him to the killer knight, cause "shiny royal armor betray him", or "waattt ??? a royal commander here ??? wat the fuccckkk ???" when he never encounter somebody.

the only thing who give his positions is the gps, not a person.

Dex-chan lover
Second time he ignores the doggo. To his misfortune.

Part of me wants to hate him. He's SO stupid.
Part of me glances out the window and sees 50% of the world is even dumber than that, so chances would be this MC is pretty much as realistic as it gets.

Fed-Kun's army
I think this is in reality an ultra-VR game, and he is actually in "our world" the assimilation rate is how connected he is, the stronger he gets, or the less human, the harder is it to stay assimilated...
Kinda like that dragon quest movie, he won't realise it's a game untill the end, because the console seals his memory.

Users who are viewing this thread