The Skeleton Soldier Failed to Defend the Dungeon - Vol. 2 Ch. 136

It just seems like at the moment all routes lead to someone he cares about dying. Unless he gets strong enough to eliminate a country by himself.

I caught up! NOOOOOOO

..... anyways, he should seriously just get that nice silver blood and try to do better next time

One thing i see is that people keep telling him to abuse his power, but remember that this is a real 'person' with a power. We know to abuse this because wr have read so much isekai that stuff like this is normal for us and of course we think of it. But imagine ur him and u save need to rebuild every relationship, realising that they died because of u because you couldnt protect them. Now imagine some crow that youve known has had bad intentions agaisnt you before suddenly spills that he's killed your master after you follow evrything he says. Yea fuck that anyone'd be angry. But yea i do agree that Isaac isnt wrong in killing rubia, lying to skelly to get him to do stuff tho was kinda a jerk move haha

yes i know my english sucks lmao

skelly needs to become heartless but maybe having a heart is exactly the reason behind him having so many powers; isaac, on the other hand, did the smart thing but messed up at a critical point by telling skelly the truth; in the end, skelly created & left behind one more accidental female necromancer

Fed-Kun's army
Ok, I get that he’s angry but... cool down a bit, finish the mission, get some lulium, get more experience, get that legacy whatever and move on to the next life.

I really don’t get him wasting chances every time things don’t go his way...

The hint is he's not going to another life yet. Alliance lady also has a potential story line with him. That's fine. I prefer a story that surprises me than one where I'm always right about out what will happen next.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

I've seen some arguments, so...

First, Skelly has too low stats to trigger the scenario with the war. This means he's going up against something fierce, the enemy army is suspiciously weak, meaning they have something more powerful in store for later, which will wipe the floor with the entire army. He cannot win in his current situation, at best he can hope to acquire a broken skill or Lu-lium, he will not survive after, unless the phantom knight chucks him into another trap.
Second, the time travel is imperfect, stats tick up ever so slightly, this will stack up until characters start making bigger changes. Furthermore, Skelly has unlocked new things, it's possible the spies weren't assigned to his area in the first few runs, but that the timeline shifted after he had an encounter with them. And that's not to mention if he completes any character scenarios.
Third, there is only one time where Skelly killed himself, and that's when he was backed into a corner with absolutely zero chance of survival. That is the only time he cashed in early, all other times, he kept trying to survive. He is very economical with his resets, as he should be.

Skeleton warrior is really starting to get on my nerves. His motivation here was retarded. I guess he just can't understand that he is too weak and really needs more of an upgrade. This was a good first step but it is still not enough and after repeatedly getting stomped into the ground he should really start to see that already. he could have become so much stronger if he would have just kept with the plan and got the lulium.

I mean I see what y'all mean by he needs to move on but imagine your one goal in life is protect someone and you have the ability to go back in time to try and fix your mistakes to only be continuosly failing your one goal, your only purpose. Seeing the one person you want to protect die over and over again because YOU couldn't do you job. I'd be beat too, not to mention the fact that there is a possibility that you can't go back in time.

Hum I guess there a lot of people that are confusing Skellebro with some other generic rewind heroes around. Let me state some points that, TBH, should be obvious IMHO:

1) He is NOT smart. Literally. Some chapters ago even bitterly complained that, in spite of his Insight skill having increased, that only meant he had more clarity moments, not that he was any smarter than he was when he was generic skeleton soldier #456. Sure, he covers his lack of smarts with an almost unwavering dedication to the propose he is pursuing ( saving the ones he cares about ), but you definitely see him struggle to adapt to changing conditions that require actually using your smart bone ( in those times it is usually a companion that thinks for him. We've seen that with Rena, Rubia and Isaac ).

So, we shouldn't expect some grandiose schemes involving multiple timelines coming out of him. He simply can't do those.

2) He has zero control of when he restarts when he dies. The only certain he had about the timings of his rewinds end spot ( that they were coming later or at the same time than the previous one ) was shattered when he came back to his grave after all the issue with the Rena "scenario". So, even if he killed himself now, he could rewind to anywhere in the timeline, and possibly to a place/time where he could do even less than in his current position. Even he ( the one with the smarts of a skeleton soldier ) mused about those issues some dozens of chapters ago ...

3) More damning, Skellebro doesn't even know if he will ressurect if he dies . That is even another point he mused about a long time ago: just because he has been getting back every time he dies, that doesn't make sure that he will ressurect next time. More, there is that pesky assimilation rate ( that, TBH, has been somewhat absent in the last chapters ), that no one knows what it does ( besides allowing the unlock of stuff below a certain level that he already passed, so no foresight added ) and that at any moment might go below a certain critical level and end the whole thing. So, he has to make of his current life the best he can because he might not have another. In fact even Skellebro knows that: in the only time he weaponized his death it was when he got cornered by that bearded abomination known as Madame and where he knew damn well he would not survive anyway, so might as well try to get something out of it. Besides that, he shown to definitely not be willing to game on his deaths in the hopes of a good ressurection.

In other words, it would be as unrealistic to expect more of Skellebro just killing himself in the hopes of ressurecting as of any RL person to kill itself in the hopes of coming back to life just before that crappy definining moments of their lifes that they would give almost all for a chance to change it ( and we all have one of those ). And that is a sign of a well written story.

I agree with @rrolo1.
More than anything though, gotta admit this author is good at story telling. Proof is that we have so many opposing views in the comments.
Can't wait for more.

Dex-chan lover
@rrolo1 Very good points, but I think you're incorrect about where and when he resurrects. My current theory is that it is tied to the scenarios he starts with the other characters. If he dies mid scenario, he goes back to a starting or midway point with them. If the scenario cannot be fulfilled due to the person's death, and he simply continues on and starts a new scenario, as he did with Rena, then that changes his respawn point. Once he was finished with Rena's scenario, he defaulted back to Rubia's. Rena's is no longer available due to changing the timeline, and he has been unable to start any other scenario, so he'll probably respawn back at the beginning with Rubia. If he abandons her and starts a new one with Gilles de Rais, then that will likely probably change his respawn point to her. If he concludes Rubia's scenario and starts another, either with Rais or the Alliance commander, then that should also work. I don't have quite enough evidence yet, but everything fits my theory quite nicely.

I think he is guaranteed to respawn until the assimilation ratio drops below a certain point. Again, just my theory.

@Kaldrak

You might be right ( would definitely make sense ... but again all the thing about this being a game and the MC the player is based in admitedly second hand word by our notoriously unreliable Isaac ... and that would make Rubia a player as well, BTW ) , but I was talking by the point of view of our resident skeletal MC. He for sure does not see his life in terms of a video game life and the episodes he lives on are not seen in terms of scenario unlocks ... atleast in emotional ( for lack of a better word ) terms.

He clearly does not understand the mechanisms behind his ressurections and the assimilation rate ( and BTW, neither do we ) and so his whole reasoning is based in the fact that he has been thrown around back and forth in the timeline in ways he doesn't understand fully and that he has a regressive countdown to ... err, something, in the form of the assimilation rate, that, to add, tends to go down in high jumps without previous notice. So, better not gamble in the deaths and try to maximize the life you have in hands ( he literally makes this argument in the earlier chapters, when he was still not much stronger than a common skeleton ).

And TBH, given what he knows, that is actually a decent line of thought. Not bad for a literally empty headed MC :p

Dex-chan lover
@rrolo1 Though this is an rpg lit story with gameplay mechanics, we don't know for certain that it is a game, or that MC and/or Rubia are 'players' as we understand the term. If they are, they certainly are unaware of it. A lot of storytellers seem to want to tell stories like this without actually having the characters exist in a virtual game world. The Gamer is a good example of an rpg lit story with gameplay elements like this, but the MC of that story definitely is not a player existing in a virtual world. We really don't know for certain one way or another, yet.

I agree with most of your reasoning, (including the emotional state of the MC) but we just have different theories on what's going on. Part of the fun with these long running mystery stories, imo.

@Kaldrak

Note, I mostly agree with you in that the setting is clearly RPG-ish and that the story is being presented to us like scenario unlocks. Also, it was not me that talked about the MC as something akin of a player, but the in-story Isaac in the previous ( IIRC ) life, based on some conveniently placed Kevin Ashton books he had read ages ago ... and I'm not convinced about the veracity of all of that, due to various other stuff in story.

I was just pointing out that, given what the MC knows about the setting, he is well justified in not killing himself just because ( like almost half of this chapter comments were asking to ) and that the MC himself pointed out his reasons on this during the story.

Did anybody notice how the knight Skelly interrogates just says that "a prisoner" died on the way to the tower? And how the corpse shown in the interrogation flashback wears brown clothing (and seems to be rather fat), while in Isaac's flashback, Rubia's clothing is grey?
Might just be the author being sloppy. But perhaps, there's something more going on.

I do wonder how he will act after next start point restart with the class upgrade that is going to happen when he gathers enough Li-Lium.
He will be able to summon a horse and ride on it instantly that will be such a changer on how he will move.

Too bad he won't visit Rubia. I was rereading chapters and there was a mention of skeleton saying to the female knight that was protecting Rubia uncle to not cover her face... well consider how he killed her without recognizing it was her that advice would have been great.

I wonder what's new for the Skelly from soaking all these kills (not from the commander).
The fact that Isaac was able to block his sword made me wonder how strong did he getas that crow...

I imagine him pooping out of the grave with the fiery fists ability and the summon undead horse ability. He will be able to instantly clear a lot.
I was also hoping for Rubia to uncover a whole lot of books written by Kevin Ashton at the Towers, for her to learn a few spells and join the wizards rank temporaily untill the skelly would come to her. Too bad it isn't the case. though maybe in the next run it would be nice if she could receive some arcane training to become a spellcaster.

Users who are viewing this thread