The Skirt Sings at the Landing

Aggregator gang
😳is it just me or is follower and leader just another way of saying top or bottom? I feel like I've been reading to many things, I more need wholesomeness in my life

edit: I'm joking

Dex-chan lover
@nobodygattaknow I don't know if you're joking, but they are pretty common dance terms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_and_follow . I'm far from a professional dancer, but I've used them all my life.

@FioreFire they're not really portraying tallness as "unfeminine" because they want to, they're dealing with the fact that a lot of cultures/societies treat it as such (unfairly, of course). It is a product of some fragile masculinity, with a lot of men feeling uncomfortable with girls taller than them, so, you know, those girls get treated poorly/rejected and it ends up becoming an "undesirable trait for a woman" (again, unfairly so).

Exposing that view of tallness as "unfeminine" and, seemingly, reverting this kind of prejudice seems to be a big part of this manga. Kiki feels like she HAS to lead (aka be "the man" of the pair) just cause she's taller, but she doesn't want to and Toribami wants to lead despite being short. So the message is basically "hey, even though it might be a little more difficult (in technical terms) to have the shorter person lead the dance you can do whatever you want and don't have to stick to stereotypes".

Thanks, love u for picking this up and even giving me hopes to see other chapters!

Fed-Kun's army
Kinda very boring so far, which is weird because I thought it seemed like it would be interesting at first.

Wow, I really enjoyed this. Thanks for translating. I'm looking forward to seeing how Kiki develops and what Shion's problem was that made her leave Kiki.

Appreciate the note at the end, though, I wanted to make something clear.

I have a bit of an issue with calling the facts and statistics of her height as it relates to the real world "objectively tall." It's not that this phrasing is untrue, but it makes it seem like the elements of the story that actually matter aren't objective. How she and her peers see her and how it relates to the story in the world is 100% an objective aspect of the story. The facts of our world are no more objective than the elements presented within the story, as well as how that story is executed. The reason why I bring this up is because I think this sort of confusion around terminology is how we get into arguments about if we can be objective about media. The contents of a story and how that story is told is just as objective as the facts of our world.

Other than that, nice explanation. It's always good to keep these sorts of things in mind. Cultural context can often be a large part of a narrative.

@FioreFire
180 is very very tall for a Japanese girl.
The height difference seems to be noticeably larger than other populations based on my observations when I was there, and average height for an adult man is 175ish iirc.

I’m 5’11”
Towering Jewish woman with curly hair and beaky schnoz getting stares anywhere outside Tokyo, and sometimes in it.
“Can I touch your hair?”
“...”

Users who are viewing this thread