The Soulless Duchess - Vol. 1 Ch. 18

so petty. imagine ruining the experience for many of your own supporters. don’t even feel bad for DnA anymore i hope NNG continues to have fun doing their thing.

@Spookie as far as I could tell, none of their genuine fans turned on them, but a lot of readers in the beginning said that DnA was immature because they were upset by it. Rather than understanding their frustration, they just suggested DnA upload faster then.

I'm disappointed they dropped the series but I don't blame them. The unnamed group was honestly immature and petty first with their "CLAUDE FOREVER XD" at the end of every chapter. They turned it into a popularity thing knowing many would want to read as quickly as possible, even if it wasn't as good. The purposeful turning against them while ignoring their messages and taunting them is far worse.

I'll admit the spoiler thing at the bottom wasn't the most mature, but in all fairness 1) they said don't scroll past and 2) tbh, who doesn't see that coming? It's just a simple scene with words in korean. 3) honestly if my time and effort was being disrespected like that my main concern wouldnt be some high ground with another group causing the disrespect and the readers who were quick to turn around and side with them.

Anyway, the best that we can all hope for is that the unnamed group will continue the series and continue to improve.

Thank you for the work so far! It's truly a pity that somehing you enjoyed doing was ruined by thoughtless people, but honestly I don't think I'd be motivated to work on a series after a experience like this when there's plenty other good series to work on, so I can't say I don't understand. I do hope you learn how to better handle these matters in terms of the emotional response, as that last gesture left a bad taste... I guess I was too naïve to think that if I scrolled down i'd actually see a "it was a joke! hope you learnt from that" xD

Thank you for all the work you've done on this series! It's been an enjoyable ride. :)

About the chapter: Thankfully some of the other ladies spoke up. Though all of them behave somewhat childishly, it didn't turn into an outright playground fight.

@topofthehill I agree it obviously wasn't enjoyable for DnA but I feel they should've dropped it sooner rather than telling/implying to other groups they can't work on it and lashing out.

The idea that fans owe them loyalty or can "turn on them" again comes from a deeper bitterness (being burnt-out) in the group. It shows they think of this as some kind of job that the fans are forcing on them and think they deserve some kind of compensation for it. They've lost their fan mentality and switched to a big prideful business philosophy where they're concerned with being top dog.

Scanlating should be purely for fun because you enjoy doing it, it shouldn't be because you want people to worship you or praise you or join your faction. They owe nothing to the fans and should expect nothing from the fans
The fans read what is put in front of them and if one group is overwhelmingly better in terms of speed or in some cases quality they will flock to them.

If you let someone copy your notes in class they may thank you but most people wouldn't think that they're obligated to kiss your butt forever or never look at someone elses notes.

I have no idea what's going on here.,,,, uhhh... thanks to both groups for the updates? It's a good story? Please don't drop? Thank you in advance? :'D

Aggregator gang
Thanks for the chapters up til now! I'm sad that you're dropping it, but I understand why!
I'm glad I waited for your chapters to come out; I really enjoyed them!
I'll continue to look forward to the other series you guys are working on 😄

Thank you so much D&A for all your hard work on this series! I'll be looking out for your other series (especially E&TFK, loving it so much right now). And also love your justified pettiness at the end! All I want for Ivana is her undenied happiness. Have already seen the raws for the most recent chapter and I'm so excited to see where the artist goes with the story (especially where Tristan will insert himself since we know he isn't going away).

Thank you for translating!
I know it must not be fun to work on this anymore, so don’t listen to the people who want you to come back.
Tbh I’ve been reading the other group’s translation, and I haven’t been following all this “sniping” drama. Regarding the people who are saying they won’t read the other translation because they think it’s “unreadable”, I don’t get why people are so picky with getting FREE content and why they can’t understand simple English. And yes, the first couple chapters’ translations were off, but it greatly improved after that.
I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t feel guilty for dropping this and ignore the ungrateful people. I really love your other series, Emperor and the Female Knight, so I’m looking forward to that ^^

Dex-chan lover
I get the feeling all the people who are razzing people for getting upset at being sniped, with all the "they don't own it" blah blah, have never actually done, like, anything. Like, worked on a project which gave them a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. Because if they had they would be able to imagine the feeling of working on something, getting half way through, quitting for the day, and then when they come back someone has finished it . . . badly . . . and is taking the credit. Despite the fact that there are a dozen similar projects nearby, unstarted, that whoever it was could have done from scratch normally.
There is nobody in the world who wouldn't be pissed. So the people who are saying sniping is all good and nobody should be upset ought to either think for two seconds about how they'd feel, or they should get some kind of life, do something they care about enough that they'll be equipped to understand.

Dex-chan lover
@Purplelibraryguy Scanlation readers in a nutshell. As an end consumer the noisiest are nothing but "I just wanna read I don't care how crap the quality is or how broken the English is and who cares about the other stuff amirite"

It gets me closer to understanding how my country's milk farmers are feeling after the supermarkets are taking their lives' work from them for stuff all.

Double-page supporter
@Purplelibraryguy Very well said!

It's mostly about an unspoken etiquette in the scanlation community really. We all know neither one owns the manhwa, but taking a project that someone had been working hard on is just rude. If they really wanted to they could have by all means offered a collaboration with D&A (though idk what went on behind the scenes). Hopefully with all the comments before, the other group will understand this point and not do it again since they seem to mean well.

Zm

100% agree with @ManlyMan6545
Appreciated that DNA scans said not to scroll down further at the end but I kinda have to..? So that I can end the chapter? Caught me off guard but whatever, it's an expected part of the comic. Not that annoyed by the spoiler.
I do thank them for their hard work but it's odd how they said they would continue as planned but now all of a sudden they are dropping it.
I am thankful the other group will still work on the project, cant wait to read more!
Also, to those saying this kind of comment is something from someone who hasn't worked on projects, No that is a false arguement.
I can understand the sentiment of getting your feelings hurt if something you had been working hard on gets "taken over" (not really) by another group but let's look at the facts.
These big groups have so many other projects they are doing simultaneously that we never get consistent or timely updates. They have their fingers in SO MANY PIES that it's just not efficient. If another groups decides they want to translate it too, albeit they are still learning and must improve, there is nothing wrong with that. This isnt a monopoly and should not be. The bigger group shouldn't just be given the right to monopolize the translation of a project. If someone else wants to contribute their own work for the comic, let them. They have that right and I as a reader really appreciate it. I love seeing them improve and strive for better quality with each chapter.
DNA should be able to continue with their own higher quality scans in their own time. Readers can read their version when it comes out and appreciate their work. But they shouldn't be allowed to stop others from translating it.
Thank you listening to my ted talk ✌

@ManlyMan6545 @Spookie

by “turning on them” I don’t mean reading the other version, I mean bashing them in the comments for (rightfully) being upset about what happened. and that happens to be my EXACT point; it wasn’t fun for them and only resulted in their name getting dragged through the mud the longer it went on, so they dropped it.

from this mass release, you could tell they probably had a lot of chapters partially worked on but couldn’t release them because other parts were causing a block (typesetters didn’t have the proofreads/cleans, proofreaders didn’t have the translations yada yada), and like someone else said, most likely released them so their hard work wouldn’t go to waste.

this also happened with stepmother’s marchen, where the sniper made themselves out to be the victim with the whole “idk I was told this was bad :(((( but I want to hear what you guys think, because I definitely don’t already know you’ll side with me & shit on the other group!”, going as far as bashing them when they hadn’t messaged/posted anything rude. except in d&a’s case, they were already releasing at a pretty decent rate (esp considering the fact that it’s school time)

also, what do you mean by “lashing out”? because that one note they wrote didn’t come off nearly as childish as anything the sniper commented lmao

I think that this whole ordeal has proven that it is not, in fact, because they “have fun ❤️ and do it for the readers ❤️” but because they sniped and therefore were able to pump out chapters faster. you’re free to read whatever you want, but to hate on d&a for being upset about it is really, REALLY something else.

(also lmao thanks @Meskie you too)

Users who are viewing this thread