The Soulless Duchess - Vol. 1 Ch. 21

@dekay IDK,
Isn't it quite difficult to distinguish between rivals or friends when you are in a snake's nest? Maybe today they are your friends , but who knows tomorrow they talk about you and make their own allies.
But,
if both are devils, they'll marry and give birth to demons. 🤣
IDK, I'm just assuming, cuz seeing 'em using a fog panel on FM (ofc with a different taste)

@godofsalmon that's exactly what I meant. There Is No Moral Standing. I'm not in favor of the scantalators because we are dealing in an illegal market. So morality is not at all in this fight. This is all simply a fight about bruised egos and hurt feelings. (As I had stated in my original comment)

Good mangas are always cancelled for no reason, what drama, what happened, usually you cancel when it gets leaked not by something else, why didnt you give to another scanlation group before yyou canceled it, wheres the organisation? I understand u r also human and those things but at least you give it to other group and not like BYEEEE NO MORE.

@criver isn't that the point of a person opinion? Should I be entirely right? If you want to prove that "sniping" is good, why don't you use your "fact", instead of making this such a roundabout argument.

Come on, make a point already 😁

Dex-chan lover
@MayoNess

isn't that the point of a person opinion?
So from "common knowledge" and "not cutting in line" it turned into your own personal opinion - I am fine with that as long as you acknowledge that is just your opinion, and hence irrelevant to the matter at hand.

If you want to prove that "sniping" is good
I didn't ever plan to "prove" that snipping is "good". I wanted to show you that questioning your statement that snipping is "bad" does not constitute ignorance, but is a valid concern - after all, you couldn't come up with one logical argument against it.

Come on, make a point already
I made my points long ago: the people over at D&A are simply being immature and petty, they don't have exclusive rights over scanlating the manga, snipping is not bad.

Group Leader
@rainebow I had to go find it on an aggregator (cause it was uploaded here but deleted) Just search google for the title, you'll eventually find the (awful) chapter 20.

@lucine You seem to have presumed the events and reacted based on that.

The first group to translate this series was Devil & Angel Scans (D&A). The first 4 chapters came once per month. Two days after D&A released Chapter 4, No Named Group (NNG) released Chapter 5. It received a lot of criticism for the image sizes being inconsistent and the translation being bad ("...If I think about it, Gaspal can only screaming to it") and an overuse of "Oppa". 22 and a half hours later they released Chapter 6. The translation quality had improved but was still in dire need of a proof reader whose native language was English, since in a credits note, they state that their native language is not English and they are translating this series for practice. If you did not like the translations, you did not have to read them and could wait for someone else.

6 hours after that D&A released their Chapter 5. The next day, NNG release their Chapter 7, which is where the drama really took off. The credits note for this chapter asked "Do you guys want us to keep translating it or not? Comment "Claude Forever" if you do and "Love Tristan" if you don't." If you look through the comments on that Chapter, you will see a lot of support, because they are fast, but those opposing it mention the fact that they are sniping, they have taken a project that D&A was working on a lot more carefully out of their hands for practice.

The next day, they released Chapter 8 and their credits note reiterated "If you don't like our translations, wait for another group," since they know their version is far from perfect and they aren't asking anyone to stop translating the series. 6 hours later, D&A released Chapter 9. This is the only part that needs to be "leaked" but there's so little that it's entirely irrelevant. D&A messaged NNG regarding the fact that they have sniped the series and received no response. The note also explains why they take issue with sniping and ask people to not support sniping.

One curious part of the credits note is that it begins with "We have not given permission to anyone." If you take it literally, it is a wildly arrogant statement. If you grant the benefit of the doubt, it may be in the same style as a father giving his permission to man to marry his daughter, an acknowledgement that they are equally care for the daughter/series.

An hour and a half later, NNG release their Chapter 9 with a credits note. They state that they have just learned that they have been sniping, despite this being mentioned in the comments of most of their prior chapters. After being accused of sniping the series by D&A, they accused D&A of sniping them by releasing Chapter 9 before them. It continues saying that they don't understand why they must ask for permission and this is all illegal anyway. After this, they ask a question "What should we do? Comment "Tristan Lover" for us to do Chapters 1 to 4, "Baron Gaspal" for "our own version of Chapter 1 only" and "Claude Forever" for them to carry on with Chapter 10."

Two and a half hours later, they release Chapter 10 with a credits note. It's mostly thanking people for their support and another "CLAUDE FOREVER!!! XD" but a comment was included, which is quite curious for fairness' sake. "If there are people who say they won't [read our works], then it's okay. We know you're reading it anyway ;)" If you take it literally, it's incredibly petty. If you grant them the benefit of the doubt, it's them being playful as they state later.

2 days later, Chapter 11 releases with a credits note to read the comments. This is where their response to D&A's message is found. "We are new to this scanslation things and we're having fun while we doing it. We haven't responded to you because we were scared you will tell us to stop releasing this manhwa." They got confused that they received the message after Chapter 6, not Chapter 5 and because they were deliberating how to respond and got positive feedback, having already finished their Chapter 7 and spent more time translating instead of addressing the message.

They continue that since this is all illegal "why there was so much rules in here?" and "Why can't we both release our works?" If that is their stance, why their initial fear in being asked to not translate the series, they can just ignore D&A's (in this case) request because multiple groups can work on a series.

They end with a message to those asking them to stop sniping the series, "we'll repeat it for the third time, please wait for another group version if you don't like our translation. Or please consider blocked our group."

This is where large message in credits note come to an end

Everything was quiet for a week and in the credits of Chapter 15, NNG announce they are slowing down for Chinese New Year. Two days after that D&A translate every Chapter from 6 to 18 and announce that they are dropping the series.

player3, an account made 8 days ago, releases Chapter 19 25 hours later, someone re-releases it in a different font and a third person uploads a literal image of a troll all under the name of Chapter 19, but the latter have been removed

player4, an account made 2 days ago uploads Chapter 20 some time after. Due to the fact that the font apparently changed 3 times in one text box and had text running out of the bubbles, it was removed.

thegoodplayer, an account made yesterday has released this Chapter 21. This is a random person, clearly playing with the fact that player3 and player4 aren't taking this series seriously. The drama doesn't involve them, nothing was cancelled because of a leak, there's no organisation regarding the translation of this series because there are three tribes and some free men. The NNG tribe, the D&A tribe and the popcorn-eating tribe. Since NNG never responded to D&A to resolve the drama that they created it's devolved into this.

The D&A tribe are shit out of luck because translations will come to a stop at Chapter 18 - after all, NNG asked them to block them.

The NNG tribe don't need to care, they'll continue to get their fast releases after NNG return from CNY

The popcorn-eating tribe can move onto the next drama because I have serious doubts that shitflinging and one-off sniping will become a staple of this series. I don't think another group would waste their time translating something that is already being translated when there are so many other series to pick from that are dead

I have a question for you, why would you spill tea?

It's sad that ch.20 got uploaded by a troll. They crammed in a lot of important stuff in that chapter. The Duke looked into the MC and picked up a whole lot of nasty stuff from staff that quit. Then MC admitted to how she was treated by that jerk. Cementing his desire to be sweet to her.

Also got to see al the competing embroidery. Pastel flowers and cute little birds galore. I agree with the princess, an eagle heck yeah.

This and the previous (now deleted) chapter just proves that D&A and their fans and friends are just immature and petty. This is no longer about 'honour' but about your childish bruised egos. Seriously? We're all illegal here. Right now, I honestly am worried that we're going to get discovered by the original artist with how much this Scanlation drama going on. Did you guys honestly forget just how many series has been forced to stop getting scanlated (is this even a word lol) because the scanlation get discovered? Want that to happen to this manhwa too? Again guys, here, no one has "the right" to this manhwa whatsoever, so get a grip.

@criver if my personal opinion is irrelevant, so does yours and everyone else's. Everything IS a personal opinion here even the quote of Einstein you took up there. Sorry, That's not a very good argument.

Please read again my reply as to why the reason snipping is "bad". Maybe you were missing a few paragraphs

Point noted. I still think sniping is bad.

As I may be an inaccurate source about this matter, you should talk to scanlation groups (NASS, Traumei, solace, Puni, A little Sunshine, etc) instead as they are the subject of all this sniping. I'm sure the experience will let you see a new side of this community.

Let's warp this discussion,

Because as some readers would not understand as to why scanlation group feel that sniping is not okay, clearly the reason would be you have never interact with them or be in their shoes.

It's a shame but that's just how it is

Dex-chan lover
@MayoNess
if my personal opinion is irrelevant, so does yours and everyone else's.
Sure, what you, or I believe about snipping being good or bad is irrelevant. What matters is what it objectively is, with respect to some criteria. If you want to argue that it is bad, you have to present these criteria and prove that it is bad with respect to them.

Sorry, That's not a very good argument.
That was not meant to be anymore of an "argument" than your "it's common knowledge" "argument". You have to make the extra step and present valid arguments if you want to actually argue about it. Otherwise your "snipping is bad statement" is just your own prejudice, and can be disregarded as such.

Please read again my reply as to why the reason snipping is "bad". Maybe you were missing a few paragraphs
I believe I addressed all of those. Feel free to repeat the arguments you believe were not addressed adequately.

you should talk to scanlation groups instead, as they are the subject of all this sniping.
So in your mind that gives them the power to judge whether snipping is "good" or "bad"?

some readers would not understand as to why scanlation group feel that sniping is not okay
I understand very well why D&A are salty. However, that does not justify anything that they have done. "I was first" is not a valid justification, no matter how pissed you may be.

I wish people gave this much attention to the artist’s well-being. A lot of people are talking about how it’s ‘rude’ to snipe, about the ‘etiquette’ of communicating, and being ‘mature’ about the whole situation, when the matter of fact, everyone using this site and reading this has done something horrible. There’s someone out there in South Korea trying to make a living off their art, spending hours and days producing a webtoon with a wonderful story and even more years to get better at art. And all the people here can say that, SniPinG iS/iSN’t bAd. We’re all guilty doing something bad here, get off your high horse and gain some perspective. I’m more impressed people are still willing to be a webtoon, comic artist will all this rampant piracy.

I used to think sniping=bad in the early scanlation drama days of the early 2000s, but after going to conventions, meeting artists, authors, and people, my priorities changed. A lot changes as you grow up. I do appreciate all the fansubs and translations over the years because they're the first group of people who've introduced a plethora of stories to me but I’ve come to realize that it’s even more important to support the artists and authors of the series you enjoy. I should definitely be supporting more authors/artists. I can see the irony here with me posting in a piracy site. I mainly use this site because it tells me if there is an official English release I can support. Unfortunately, there isn't one for this series cause I'd definitely be reading it there and not here.

You may not be able to buy all the official English chapters of a certain series, but if you truly enjoyed content that has an official English release, buy their chapter or volume once every 3 months or something. SUPPORT ARTISTS! They are our true gods!!

Just a rant, sorry for any typos and grammatical errors. I won't be responding to any replies or anything. I just wanted to get some stuff off my chest after all the drama's continued escalation.

on a side note of the actual story: I think it's horrible how in the society enforces gender stereotypes on women to be a 'proper bride' but then you get these annoying male side characters that don't seem like they've even been taught anything about caring for others besides themselves. I can't wait for this patriarchal society to get whipped into something decent.

edit* I think it'll be easier for people getting into scanlation to have a certain mindset: if you're prepared to snipe/screw the author, be prepared to get sniped yourself.

I can't understand the scanalation group custom of taking exclusively a series (other goups cannot translate it as well). It's not an official release and they didn't pay the author anything. It's just fan service. We are not talking about a case in which the first group has payed a royalty but the second hasn't.
They (scanalations groups) translate a story because there's not an official translation. Some of them do it because they like a public to which they can show their work. Some of them translate for fun. Same other for fame.
I can understand you can be pissed of if you started to work on a chapter and another group publish their translation before you do. But, hey, that's how the world works (look at the business work: who innovate faster and better wins).
DNA dropped this series just like this, without a real motive. The could have chosen to keep translating. They could have tried to be faster or to bet everything on higher quality (they had the capability to do so). Instead they choose to retreat. They choose to blame the readers who were curious about what would have came next, just becouse they opened and read the other group translated chapters. I liked their work and I read their chapters when they released them (even if I read out of curiosity the other translation first).
I didn't like their attitude. Even if they suspected the other party started to translate only to bother them, they still decided to drop out. They didn't any evil deed to the other group. They did it to the readers.

I apologize for my English. It's not my mother tongue.

The most rational comment I've seen here:

"I think it'll be easier for people getting into scanlation to have a certain mindset: if you're prepared to snipe/screw the author, be prepared to get sniped yourself."

@Denks I so agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread